Author Topic: sTp future of Jet/Rocket unlimited world land speed record  (Read 25179 times)

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
Re: sTp and the future unlimited world land speed record
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »
57t bird,
Wow, you have strong feelings about the British! The bottom line, as you Americans so aptly put it, is that Richard Noble and his team worked their socks off to break the record, not once but twice. I applaud what they are trying to achieve with Bloodhound, in the same way as I applaud Ed and Eric. I am trying in my own small way to break a record, but would never dream of decrying anyone else because they broke a record, whatever nationality they are. In my humble opinion Richard Noble is bringing our wonderful sport back into the limelight, and it will attract many more supporters, or even competitors! Brilliant!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 04:46:22 PM »
57t bird,
Wow, you have strong feelings about the British! The bottom line, as you Americans so aptly put it, is that Richard Noble and his team worked their socks off to break the record, not once but twice. I applaud what they are trying to achieve with Bloodhound, in the same way as I applaud Ed and Eric. I am trying in my own small way to break a record, but would never dream of decrying anyone else because they broke a record, whatever nationality they are. In my humble opinion Richard Noble is bringing our wonderful sport back into the limelight, and it will attract many more supporters, or even competitors! Brilliant!

Dont take my post in a negitive direction

I met Richard Noble in person at Black Rock in 1997 and e-mailed to him and he responded back in a very profeshional manner lots of times. They have done something amazing and worked hard for it in all due respect I have nothing but appreciation for them. I would like to see a real challenge with American team I know it seams that British are setting records and pushing the record beond our grasp. I know we can give them a challenge they haven't  reached 800,900,1000mph yet so the door is still open. The point I made in my other post is we never even got close to getting the record back for the US ever sence Gary Gabelich record was beat by Richard Noble in Thrust 2
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:07:03 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 12:26:17 PM »
Thank you for your gracious comment. I agree with you, but you have had the two-wheeled monopoly for so long........ we like to have something to celebrate over here! Wouldn't it be great to see the rivallry between three cars in the same way as BUB 7, Ack and EZ Hook? ?And of course you have Kent! His latest creation is brilliant!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 08:03:46 PM »
Thank you for your gracious comment. I agree with you, but you have had the two-wheeled monopoly for so long........ we like to have something to celebrate over here! Wouldn't it be great to see the rivallry between three cars in the same way as BUB 7, Ack and EZ Hook? ?And of course you have Kent! His latest creation is brilliant!

British team of Richard Noble

They have held the record for a long time they have there country behind them and the Royal Air Force. Here in America we dont have that support of our Country we are a group of Drag Racers and race car fabricators chassies. We are getting closer to getting enough funds and sponsorship to take back the Unlimited Land Speed Record for the United States of America. I like to see a real heated battle to 800mph and 900mph and the target 1,000mph. The 763mph record stands 800mph and 900mph alone is a big mountain to climb they may never make it beond 800mph. The door is open and its time for us Americans to challenge building testing and all els that goes into it takes time but I know we can get it back and fly the American Flag in pride. It is national pride of the British to have the record but we feel the same but more we are true sportsmans and appreciate both sides efforts

We have a big support and lots of info comming through from aerodynamicist and structurel design group jet car builders and fabricators. This Unlimited land speed record has been in my blood forever I got the drive and experiance. I know many lost there lifes in trying to get the record its no overnight deal but the right team and car we can get it back in our hands once again

Offline Jeff Ryan

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
tbird,

Well, it seems that I found at least one other unlimited LSR enthusiast here. I must say that I agree with you about the British holding the record for way too long. Personally, I think that the current contenders are setting their sights too high. It's almost as if they want to set a record that can never be broken. What's wrong with 800 mph? 850? Work your way up slow. That's how Ken Warby stayed alive in his jet boat. He worked his way up slow. When he found a problem, he stopped and fixed it before going any faster.

Something tells me that going from 763 to 1,000 is going to be a bit problematic.

And as for America's efforts...

The Blue Flame. The car is [presumably] in one piece, sitting in a museum, more or less ready to go. The only thing that kept it from going any faster was running out of 'gas'. Even Gabelich himself believed that the car could break mach 1. Just a thought...

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »
tbird,

Well, it seems that I found at least one other unlimited LSR enthusiast here. I must say that I agree with you about the British holding the record for way too long. Personally, I think that the current contenders are setting their sights too high. It's almost as if they want to set a record that can never be broken. What's wrong with 800 mph? 850? Work your way up slow. That's how Ken Warby stayed alive in his jet boat. He worked his way up slow. When he found a problem, he stopped and fixed it before going any faster.

Something tells me that going from 763 to 1,000 is going to be a bit problematic.

And as for America's efforts...

The Blue Flame. The car is [presumably] in one piece, sitting in a museum, more or less ready to go. The only thing that kept it from going any faster was running out of 'gas'. Even Gabelich himself believed that the car could break mach 1. Just a thought...

Jeff

Glad your on board here when you get to the point of testing a Jet or Rocket unlimited world land speed record car its lots of low and mid speed test runs. When the car is stable than you can go after the 771mph and 800mph record runs. There is a lot to building a pure jet or rocket WLSR car you have to have an aerodynamicist a design team all the factors need to be in place stibility areodynamic force wheel loads structurel design air flow etc.

America needs the record back with one more American team comming forward to challenge the British our chances and hopes are very high. I know if Gary Gabelich wouldent have gotten killed his new rocket design car Noble would have only held the record a very short time and America would have got it back. Its sad that racers like Glen Leasher and many others died so young in this dangerious sport but we know the risks we do this becouse we love the speed and building the car and most of all the WLSR challenge. The door is open main target the 800mph reacord than push forward to higher speeds reaching 900mph than 1000mph
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:24:56 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 08:48:25 PM »
Jeff, I trust you are in college, studying structural engineering or aerodynamics or both! 
The assult on the Mach + record will require guys that are those first and a hot rodder second...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 03:23:23 AM »
 Gary Gabelich / Tom Daniel

" American Way" 1984 rocket car design
http://www.tomdaniel.com/td_career/td_articles/rocketman_design/rocketman_home.html

The Gary Gabelich/ Tom Daniel design has serious problems with the strut wing out riggers making unstable positive lift. The Blue Flame strut design is best with aero design wheel covers this design would be perfect

Bill Frederiks "Valkrie" picture below
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:33:37 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

dwarner

What this post needs is FR and his decades old postings.

DW

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Rosco the challengers

Word from the design team the car is getting closer they made a color change to there favorate blue
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:00:45 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: sTp future of Jet/Rocket unlimited world land speed record
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 12:37:02 PM »
Dan, wash your mouth out :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jeff Ryan

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Jeff, I trust you are in college, studying structural engineering or aerodynamics or both! 
The assult on the Mach + record will require guys that are those first and a hot rodder second...  :wink:

Actually...

I've been following aircraft and spacecraft design since I was about 3 years old. I don't have a lot of "technical" knowledge (calculus, etc.), but I know what works and what doesn't. I can typically just look at an aircraft and figure out whether or not it has sufficient control surface area, low speed stability, high speed potential, lift (based on the incidence of the wing, root chord, tip chord, and what not)

I knew the Sonic Arrow was gonna blow over before I ever knew that it actually blew over. Of all of the contenders out there, I'd say that Noble has the best shot at it right now. Richard has a knack for accomplishing what he set out to do. He's got the engineers, the wind tunnels, the time, the labor, the driver, and the money. The ThrustSSC was a 58'X12' brick, but a brilliantly designed brick. All of the air that hits it goes somewhere, mainly into the engines.

I don't have computers or wind tunnels or the RAF, but I have a set of french curves and a pad of graph paper. I've come with a few designs of my own, both thrust and wheel driven. I figure that I could get about 550-600 mph out of a wheel-driven turbine, 500-550 out of a piston, and 800 out of a jet or rocket (to start).

There's a few simple solutions for wheel driven cars, actually. They defy tradition, and are thus quite unpopular, but they're feasible and they'll work.

Offline Jeff Ryan

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »

http://www.tomdaniel.com/td_career/td_articles/rocketman_design/rocketman_home.html

The Gary Gabelich/ Tom Daniel design has serious problems with the strut wing out riggers making unstable positive lift. The Blue Flame strut design is best with aero design wheel covers this design would be perfect

I hear you on the outriggers...that was Breedlove's undoing. The canards up front are a problem too. Struts create alot of aerodynamic instablity as well (each strut produces it's own shockwave at supersonic speed), but they're the best way to go. Jets are a bit less problematic in that respect. If you've got enough frontal area from the engine intake, you can compromise, go a little wider, and "hide" your wheels. Art Arfons, for example, "hid" his wheels underneath a single body. ThrustSSC put the front wheels in the engine fairings.

The Valkyrie never ran on the salt. It was a drag racer, more enigmatic than the Infinity. Fredricks built a rocket car some years later...heard it went pretty fast  :wink:

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »

I hear you on the outriggers...that was Breedlove's undoing. The canards up front are a problem too. Struts create alot of aerodynamic instablity as well (each strut produces it's own shockwave at supersonic speed), but they're the best way to go. Jets are a bit less problematic in that respect. If you've got enough frontal area from the engine intake, you can compromise, go a little wider, and "hide" your wheels. Art Arfons, for example, "hid" his wheels underneath a single body. ThrustSSC put the front wheels in the engine fairings.

The Valkyrie never ran on the salt. It was a drag racer, more enigmatic than the Infinity. Fredricks built a rocket car some years later...heard it went pretty fast  :wink:

Jeff

Great info on the design of both cars the Valkyrie was featured with James Darren in 60's movie "The Lively Set" at Bakersfeild drag strip it has Mickey Thomson driving the Chrysler Turban streamliner at Bonneville going for the speed record. It also has the Chrysler turban car not sure if they ever ran that at Bonneville great move with lots of LSR action
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:12:43 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2008, 12:49:17 AM »
 Dick Keller Design

Does anyone know what happend to the LSR Jet Car project for Tony Fox? Pollution Packer I know Craig Breedlove was a part of the Pollution Packer team wonder if he where to drive it I think Puala Murphy was a part of that team as well
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:30:17 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »