Author Topic: sTp future of Jet/Rocket unlimited world land speed record  (Read 25282 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Re: sTp and the future unlimited world land speed record
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 05:32:57 AM »
 Any info on another American Hot Rodder

Glen Lashier I think it is "Infinity" jet car an unlimited WLSR it blew up in mid run but did he in fact run in the 400mph range? any pictures of the car the builder? etc.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 05:46:25 AM »
using that definition, I would say that Ed is without doubt also a true American hot rodder - unless he's secretly a Brit and hasn't told us  :-D.

I'd personally disagree with including GG in that list based on his Blue Flame record. He was primarily a driver (boats and cars) and a bloody effective one at that, but he only drove the car. It was Ray Dausman, Dick Keller (rocket scientists both) and Peter Farnsworth, yet another true American hot rodder who designed and built Blue Flame. Gary tried to get another couple of projects going but again the designer was Dick. Neither came to anything before he was killed in the bike accident. Top bloke as a racer though.

Robin

Robin

Gary Gabelich and Dicks last design Rocket WLSR car I think Lee Taylors Discovery 2 rocket boat was designed close to it? I know Lee and Gary where close friends I seen Garys blue prints of the planed rocket car and Lee's boat design looks very close to it interesing factor
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:51:04 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Robin UK

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »
57tbird

Journalist/LSR historian David Tremayne confirms that on the final Keller design, there were indeed aerofoil sections to mount the wheels to the fuselage very similar to the rear sponson and sponson mount design for Discovery II. This was confirmed when he interviewed Gary at Black Rock shortly before his accident. Gary told him that by then he'd given up trying to get sponsorship support since nobody was interested - no change there then!

The original BF featured full spats and wing type outriggers but Dick Keller says they got rid of those pretty early on because the aero work they did showed likely problems with lift. They changed to simple round tubes and a open outrigger structure to minimise the lift effect. Interestingly, a very early concept also shows the same basic design but with a jet engine. Imagine the nose cut off for the air intake and the cockpit surrounded by a bi-furcated jet exhaust. Not as mad as it seems. Breedlove had a similar idea when he had tentative plans to use Donald Campbell's Bluebird CN7 for the wheeldriven record. That used a jet turbine, so his idea was to move the cockpit from front to back in the already bi-furcated jet exhaust area immediately behind the rear diff.

Robin
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:21:48 AM by Robin UK »

Robin UK

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 09:12:46 AM »
Any info on another American Hot Rodder

Glen Lashier I think it is "Infinity" jet car an unlimited WLSR it blew up in mid run but did he in fact run in the 400mph range? any pictures of the car the builder? etc.

Check this out.

http://www.ugofadini.com/omicron10.html

Robin

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »
[
Check this out.

http://www.ugofadini.com/omicron10.html

Robin

Thanks Robin

I herd so many storys over the years my dad racing at Vaca Valley and a video I seen on than Speed Vision. The car is amazing built in that area now I know the truth behind his death and why it crashed storys where it blew up in mid run
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:36:55 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »
57tbird

Journalist/LSR historian David Tremayne confirms that on the final Keller design, there were indeed aerofoil sections to mount the wheels to the fuselage very similar to the rear sponson and sponson mount design for Discovery II. This was confirmed when he interviewed Gary at Black Rock shortly before his accident. Gary told him that by then he'd given up trying to get sponsorship support since nobody was interested - no change there then!

The original BF featured full spats and wing type outriggers but Dick Keller says they got rid of those pretty early on because the aero work they did showed likely problems with lift. They changed to simple round tubes and a open outrigger structure to minimise the lift effect. Interestingly, a very early concept also shows the same basic design but with a jet engine. Imagine the nose cut off for the air intake and the cockpit surrounded by a bi-furcated jet exhaust. Not as mad as it seems. Breedlove had a similar idea when he had tentative plans to use Donald Campbell's Bluebird CN7 for the wheeldriven record. That used a jet turbine, so his idea was to move the cockpit from front to back in the already bi-furcated jet exhaust area immediately behind the rear diff.

Robin

Robin

This is great in depth info on the planned build of Keller & Gabelich design rocket car change and similar to Discovery 2 my dad was at Lake Tahoe when Lee was killed he said the boat was built good but water was to rough. He new Gabelich real well Gary was in a chase plane watching it on the crash run. If it wernt for Garys death he may have got the rocket car built and history may have tuned out differaint. Is there any pictures of the final build design of the Keller & Gabelich desgin?

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »
OOHH, OK, Tbird guy. I guess I'll slink off into a corner and eat my swiss cheese. I guess you
designed the body of that Tbird?
Ed

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »
OOHH, OK, Tbird guy. I guess I'll slink off into a corner and eat my swiss cheese. I guess you
designed the body of that Tbird?

Ed F104 dont get upset or take this the wrong direction

Tbird body has nothing to do with Unlimited world land speed record when you take a jet engine or a rocket and build the car around it using your aero skills disigning the chassies and molding the body building the suspension electronics comming from a drag racing or hot rodding background that is to me a true American hot rodder. They built there cars from ground up starting with little money in the end proving there talent and skills by setting WLSR records for America

I come from a drag racing background I always wanted drive and build and design an unlimited world land speed record car. Art Arfons always will be the greatest american hot rodder to me he did the hard way his way and proved his talent and design. A drag racer starting with just a jet engine his design and talent can never be over showdowed. The American dream bring the record to America building a car from just a jet or rocket engine proving your skills over other challengers from other parts of the world
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:09:20 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline F104A

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »
Well one thing for sure, I have more trips down the salt than those guys put together in my home made
contraptions. I'm not the rich guy that has engineers figuring out the stuff so I had to "cheat" by using my imagination to come up with a design that would work. All the rest has been done by us back yard
racers who have thought up the ideas on how to build a suspension system, rebuilt the jet engine from
a pile of parts, repaired and improved the torn up fuselage of a 50 year old fighter that we got from an aircraft scrap dealer. I'm sure most of you think we came into the project with loads of money and that it is easy to do what we have done. Nothing can be farther from the truth. It has been a long and difficult road. When Fossett bought Breedloves SOA, Ahlstrom found out that even buying and remodeling an existing car is not easy. If you ever went onto our web site and looked at the fuselage
of the F-104 when we brought it home, you would have a different opinion of our efforts. I recently estimated we have about 30,000 man hours into the project. Keith and I have invested about $300,000 of our personal money into this project as well. That is why I still drive old junky cars and my wife nags me about the crappy floor in the kitchen that I have promised to replace over the past 15 years. Even my Bonneville car is an old steel body 27T I picked up in the wheat fields of Eastern Washington and the rest is swap meet parts and built all by myself. I don't buy and drive, I build and drive! I wish I were rich, I would have completed this project by now.......Ed 
Ed

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 02:48:49 PM »
Well one thing for sure, I have more trips down the salt than those guys put together in my home made
contraptions. I'm not the rich guy that has engineers figuring out the stuff so I had to "cheat" by using my imagination to come up with a design that would work. All the rest has been done by us back yard
racers who have thought up the ideas on how to build a suspension system, rebuilt the jet engine from
a pile of parts, repaired and improved the torn up fuselage of a 50 year old fighter that we got from an aircraft scrap dealer. I'm sure most of you think we came into the project with loads of money and that it is easy to do what we have done. Nothing can be farther from the truth. It has been a long and difficult road. When Fossett bought Breedloves SOA, Ahlstrom found out that even buying and remodeling an existing car is not easy. If you ever went onto our web site and looked at the fuselage
of the F-104 when we brought it home, you would have a different opinion of our efforts. I recently estimated we have about 30,000 man hours into the project. Keith and I have invested about $300,000 of our personal money into this project as well. That is why I still drive old junky cars and my wife nags me about the crappy floor in the kitchen that I have promised to replace over the past 15 years. Even my Bonneville car is an old steel body 27T I picked up in the wheat fields of Eastern Washington and the rest is swap meet parts and built all by myself. I don't buy and drive, I build and drive! I wish I were rich, I would have completed this project by now.......Ed 

Ed

I wish you luck on your project you asked for my opinion on a true American Hot Rodder in building his own WLSR car its just the way I feel it should be done. I think now with the advanced team of Noble the record is going pushed out of reach for any unlimited WLSR effort as yours and other teams overcome. The 800-900-1000 mph Bloodhound the money the advanced design low budgit guys like you its like fighting a battle and Noble is always one step ahead. Ed we wish you all the best in the fight doing it your way and proving your F104 idea will work when is your next test runs? from 400mph to 800mph is a big step and time is running out most importaint I wish you safe positive test runs
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:57:09 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »
 Wingfoot Express

At the time Arfons and Breedlove where batteling it out the Wingfoot Express I think its called held the record for a short while. Any info pictures web sites with the build of it? what was his fastest record speed?

Bloodhound

They changed there web site a bit interesting design in there new WLSR car

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:57:25 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline F104A

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »
We're planning our next test session for April/May, location TBD. The next session we will run
400 then step it up on the several passes. We will limit ourselves to 575 on the next session.....Ed
Ed

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 10:51:31 PM »
We're planning our next test session for April/May, location TBD. The next session we will run
400 then step it up on the several passes. We will limit ourselves to 575 on the next session.....Ed

Ed

Hope to see you at Black Rock next season I herd the serface is in bad condition but lets hope for winter rains will flood it and bring it back. It would be nice to meet you and your crew its in your hands to bring it back to America with the American Eagle your web site is set up perfect good info 

The American Eagle
http://www.landspeed.com/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:58:06 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »
 Tom Green and Walt Arfons ( Wingfoot Express)

This great info on the car 1964 record 413mph
http://www.bluebird-electric.net/wingfoot_express.htm

Spirit of America

http://www.bluebird-electric.net/spirit_of_america.htm
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:13:24 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 11:18:53 PM »
 Web Site Re-done Thrust SSC/ BloodhoundSSC   http://www.thrustssc.com/

Great Britin has held the racord long enough I been searching from hell to high water for a serious backer and enough funding to buy the Fossett LSR project if possable and keep the team lead by Eric Ahlstrom in tack with my NHRA Pro Mod / Top Sportsman driving experiance over the many years I know I can drive the car to record peak speed. I feel that a true group American hot rodders still can beat the British team of Noble and Green all the design phoilosophy and stability aerodynamic force wheel loads structurel design I feel with the right car and design it can be done. Graig Breedlove told me face to face at his Rio Vista shop he knows I have the drive and experiance that is needed to do this he told me there is more to life than landspeed racing. I will tell you not in my blood it boils each time I think of this and where it is today

I know we got to go after them and bring it back to the United States of America with the right car driver and team I know it can be done. I am getting closer to a final deal than well see what the future can be for Americains in the battle of the Unlimited World Land Speed Record Challenge. The right design car with the power and a proven high tech team a new generation and technology in unlimited land speed can be held by the US.  I wont stop until its back in our hands where it belongs
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 01:16:46 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »