Author Topic: WoS photos on ChevyAsylum  (Read 5877 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
WoS photos on ChevyAsylum
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:01:21 PM »
I finally finished editing the photos from World of Speed and organized 'em a bit.  I did this a little differently than usual.  I've got one section for photos that kinda "popped" and caught my eye as being representative of the things I saw during that event.  And I did a thing on photo sequences...generally of race cars and bikes through the staging lanes and then at the start line and down course.  I dunno if this works for people or not.  Feedback, constructive criticism and error correction would be very well received.   Then I added a section for detail photos...well, what was left over after the other sections. 

I'm pleased with the quality of most of the photos.  I think I'm finally getting used to the Canon 40D and a lot of its features.  It's a very nice camera.  Best I've ever owned.  I'll be using it, along with a rented 100-400mm "L Series" lens for WF.  I'm gonna try to improve on the long-distance speed shots.  We'll see what happens.  My worst fears are that I'll break it (I'm definitely not gonna set it somewhere that the wind can sent it sailing...sorry about that, Pork Pie) or that I'll like it so much that I'll have to go buy one.  I really can't afford something like that as a "whim" purchase.  (Retail is $2400...Amazon sells 'em for $1400.)  So I'll just take it back to the place I'm renting it for and bring all the will power I can muster with me.  If I was still married, I spose a wife would be a good way to keep from spending that money.  :)

Anyway, the WoS photos are here:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/bsf2008/wos/Welcome.html 

I hope they're enjoyable for ya

RtR
ps...to those who can't see these, I apologize.  I haven't come up with any real explanation, but my hunch is that some isps (like comcast or cox) have unpublicized black lists (my site isn't on any of the anti-spam blacklists on the web) and are blocking it.  I'm sure not blocking anything at my end.  You might wanna try http://166.70.205.10/~chevyasylum/  That might work...and then again, it might not.  It works from my internal LAN, but who knows what'll happen from outside.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:12:05 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: WoS photos on ChevyAsylum
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:12:25 PM »
Ray,

Thanks for taking the time for posting these.. :cheers:

Awesome!  !

J

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »
Ray,

Thanks for taking the time for posting these.. :cheers:

Awesome!  !

J

Thanks, John.  I enjoy doing this.  I spose I'd be crazy to keep doing it if I didn't, huh?  :)

Now to do the photos from the Grand Am finale and support races, then the Shootout...etc.

RtR

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
Great pics Ray, nice job, I looked and looked some more.   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DiveEZ

• Land Speed Photos.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »
Ray

very nice pictures and well layed out, I really enjoyed seeing them,

FYI
Your photos of Ack Attack from the shoot out made it in the Press Enterprise here in Riverside, CA.

Keep up the great work.
Zane
50's Hybrid, Burns Gasoline and rubber.

www.LandSpeedPhotos.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 10:22:36 AM »
Ray

very nice pictures and well layed out, I really enjoyed seeing them,

FYI
Your photos of Ack Attack from the shoot out made it in the Press Enterprise here in Riverside, CA.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I registered and posted a "thank you" since they were good enough to attribute the photo to me.  If this keeps up, I might get a swelled head...and then I'd have a hell of a time gettin my eyeball near the camera viewfinder.  :)

RtR

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
Neither URL will load here. Here's what I get:

Network Timeout

The server at 166.70.205.10 is taking too long to respond.

The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage?  Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?  Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »
Me too
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 02:05:12 PM »
Works for me, thanks Ray, nice job  :cheers:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 06:27:59 PM »
Me too

Me too what?  Can you see the site or are you having the same type of problem as Dave?

Dave and I worked on this for a while and came to the conclusion that the problem is in his Apple or with his provider, Cox.net.  We were unable to isolate the problem any further for a number of reasons, but feel pretty sure that the problem is not at my end, since I've had over 85,000 successful hits in the last 3 days and the only errors in my logs are from malformed urls or what appear to be random exploitation attempts.

RtR

Offline DiveEZ

• Land Speed Photos.com
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 06:51:14 PM »
Ray

The only thing I think it can be is you have a HTML tag before your body tag that shouldn't be there and some browsers my be having problems with understanding that.

move the tag

div align="center"
h2 font face="Comic Sans MS">Bonneville Salt Flats World of Speed, Sep 17-19 2008 /font /h2
 /div

below the body tag. I remove the < > so it will post here.
Zane
50's Hybrid, Burns Gasoline and rubber.

www.LandSpeedPhotos.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »
When I posted "me tooI couldnt get it up, that is the pictures :-D. Now everything is good. Great pictures. Thanks Ray. 
  Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 08:41:48 PM »
You're right.  Html tags before the body tag are deprecated in HTML 4.0.  But since Microsoft continued to use it in MS Word's HTML generator, it was supported by IE, Firefox and Opera.  However, I changed the code to strict spec adherence...or so says my syntax checker.

At the risk of turning this thread into a web programming discussion, that tag location issue certainly wouldn't prevent a user from accessing the entire site.

As I wrote, there are a few people who have trouble accessing www.chevyasylum.com at all.  I don't believe the problem is at this end.  However, I ran my syntax checker on many of the main pages and they're clean.

I feel badly for those who wish to see the photos on my server, but I can only solve problems within my area of control, which is very limited.

RtR