Author Topic: Marvin Jenkins passes  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Marvin Jenkins passes
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:37:53 PM »
Marvin Jenkins son of land speed and endurance records(Ab Jenkins) on the Bonneville Salt Flats died Saturday night. Ab set many records over the years and was later followed by son Marv in the famous Mormon Meteor car III. The car is on Display on the salt at this time. He would be honored for this.

He was a great asset to the salt and will be missed. GOD SPEED Marvin :cry:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:43:55 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Marvin Jenkins passes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 07:16:58 PM »
I'll be on the Salt tomorrow and he'll be on my mind. Wayno

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »
That's another link to the past lost.  Marvin was so personable and his dedication to recover and restore the car is amazing.

WOW, just one more void in our ohana.

I was a pleasure to know him.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline AJR192

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:18:51 PM »
When my Grandma was a young lady and Ab Jenkins was Mayor, he would pick her up and drive her to work at a cafe that was a block from the Mayor's office in downtown SLC. He never asked for any kind of repayment from her except friendship. It was things like that, thoughtful, kind acts that got him elected Mayor without running for the office. He was a good man and passed those same qualities down to Marvin. Another legacy gone but not forgotten.
Godspeed, Marvin Jenkins.........

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:53:21 PM »
Here are a couple of quotes from Marvin's obituary in Southern Utah's The Spectrum:

"Marvin developed a love for speed through his father who became part of racing history, especially that associated with the Bonneville Salt Flats. He was always a part of his father's many world-record setting runs, served as his relief driver in some of the later efforts, and also set speed records of his own."

"Funeral services will be held Saturday, September 20, 2008, at 11:00 a.m. at Bloomington Hills 2nd Ward, 750 Ft. Pierce, St. George, Utah. Visitation will take place Friday, September 19, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. at Spilsbury Mortuary, 110 S. Bluff St."

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080918/OBITUARIES/809180336