Author Topic: Wendover AFB Web Site  (Read 2405 times)

Offline JGMagoo

Wendover AFB Web Site
« on: September 01, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »
For those of you who may be interested, here is an interesting web site about the past and present history of the Wendover AFB air base that was the site of the training and preparation during WWII to drop the atomic bombs on Japan.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/UT/Airfields_UT_NW.htm#wendover     
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline mrdodge

Re: Wendover AFB Web Site
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:19:55 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up from previous posts about the AFB. We spent an interesting hour looking through the exhibits and learning about the role of the base as a training site. Very Interesting !!
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs....it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »
While at Speedweek I purchased a book titled: Wendover, Winds of Change.

I haven't stated the read but will be packing it for my trips to the salt for the remainder of the season. I am sure you can buy this book at WoS, I got the Rocky Robinson book last year, or at the Visitors center in town.

$20 easily spent, forward by Wes Potter.

DW

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 01:09:58 PM »
Dan, I got the book when it came out and have read it several times, It's a great history of Wendover. We are so lucky to have seen it in the early days when it was a new begining for the lakes racers. Every time I come over White Horse pass and see the white flats I am in awe. First time was 1953 and it doesn't change it's awesome as are the people. Thanks to Wally Parks and team for this racers Mecca.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »
I'm building my new bike as a tribute to my grandfather. His B24 was shot down off the coast of Italy, May 12 1944. I was planning on painting the bike with the "nose art" from his B24. As I did research on him and his squadron, I found out he was stationed in Wendover and he met my grandmother at a USO facility in Salt Lake. Talk about full circle...it will be nice to return to the salt flats with "The Rubble Maker" painted on the front of the new bike :) and his squadron's tail markings on the back!!

I spent a couple of hours visiting the base...it was as close to him as I ever was.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 01:25:20 AM »

Thanks for the link.  We spent an afternoon at the base in 05 when a rain storm chased us off the salt. It was very interesting but at the same time sad as you could see it is not being preserved. I imagine it would take a lot of money to take care of something like that so get out there and see it while you can.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger