Author Topic: Yet another class question.....sorry!  (Read 7571 times)

427MG

Yet another class question.....sorry!
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »
I've been lurking on here for a while and reading as much as I can find but I'm still a little confused over classification for my car. I'm aiming to ship it over from the UK for Speed Week, Sept 2009.

It is a 1956 MG Magnette, was a four door/four seater. The original panels are all in place, except for a fibreglass flip-front, but are slightly different in that the front doors are lengthened to make it into a 2 door. The reason being that the factory doors are very short and it was nearly impossible for me to get my 6' 2" frame out of the car.
It runs a seperate frame instead of the original monocoque and now has an 10 point cage.
The engine is the only bit I'm definite about it's classification (B?) as it's a 427ci SBC running on gasoline and naturally aspirated.

The car is the one pictured in my avatar and the best class I can come up with is B/GMS.

Is that about right?

I really don't want to get it all wrong, ship it to the U.S and then can't run!

Offline RichFox

Re: Yet another class question.....sorry!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
I don't have anything to do with the SCTA inspection/classifying process but I just feel like expressing an opinion anyway. It looks a lot more like an Altered to me. No chance of making it into mod sport. Maybe not in Alt either. It might be a Time Only car.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 03:17:20 PM »
Mr MG,

you are writing about a meet in September - so you mean the World of Speed from the USFRA - not the Speedweek.

There you can run the car in the 150 mph Club if it didn't match in a class.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

427MG

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »
Mr MG,

you are writing about a meet in September - so you mean the World of Speed from the USFRA - not the Speedweek.

There you can run the car in the 150 mph Club if it didn't match in a class.

Oops, must concentrate more when typing. :roll:

I watched some of the 150mph guys running last year when I was over and that looks a good starting point with my car but I was hoping to be able to give it's full 680bhp some serious use with some appropriately tall gearing. I already hold a 'C' licence and I was hoping to move up to the next licence...which may be wishful thinking on my part but it'll be fun trying :wink:

427MG

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:03:05 PM »
I don't have anything to do with the SCTA inspection/classifying process but I just feel like expressing an opinion anyway. It looks a lot more like an Altered to me. No chance of making it into mod sport. Maybe not in Alt either. It might be a Time Only car.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a Time Only car?

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a Time Only car?

Means you run for time (speed) only.  It does not fit into a class designation.  For example some nascar type cars have run and they run time only.

As to your car class, you need to read the rule book and then figure what you want to build to.  THEN make the car fit the rules for that class.  My best guess is you would be in an altered class.  Your car is not a 2 seat sports car.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

427MG

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 05:58:43 AM »
Obvious on the Time Only thing if I'd thought about it!

The problem with this build has been that the chassis/body combo were already a given before we were invited over for our first trip to the salt last year so that restricted us on what we are trying to do, particularly as, looking at the rule book, using a Brit car rather than a U.S one seems to be handicapping us.

Only I could build a car that doesn't fit in with any class :?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »
Maybe and maybe not. The two door thing doesn't help with frontal area or CD that I can see. You need to contact perhaps Bobby Sykes or Lee Kennedy (good luck) for good information about your car. Everything here is pure speculation.

427MG

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »

This picture should make it a little clearer what I've done

That was what I was wondering, the side profile is exactly as it came from the factory, even the swage line is exactly the same. All that's different is the position of the front door shut and that the rear door shut is now welded up.

Do those gents that you mentioned look in on here or is it best to try and contact them directly?

Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated. 8-)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 02:01:56 PM »
I'm not a Coupe or Sedan guy, but it could be argued that by moving the pillar, you changed the aero on the body.  Also don't know if you've modified the rear roll-pan looking contour and how that would effect things.

Sure make a better-looking MG out of it.  Too late for them to offer that model, I guess.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »
Coup and Sedan Category Chair-Bobby Sykes Jr.  drylakes207@yahoo.com                               Technical Committee Co-Chair, Cars.--Lee Kennedy-  techchairscars@scta-bni.org                                It was my experience that you should take a number of Very Clear photographs showing every aspect of what you did and why. If you can find one, a Before and after would be good. Make your written question short and easy to understand. Do not ask more than one question at one time as confusion may be the result. Try to limit your one question to something that can only be answered Yes or No. Be prepared for frustration. Allow for what ever time that may pass before you get a solid answer. A limited amount of "Customizing" has been allowed in the past. Good luck.

427MG

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 04:33:34 AM »
I'm not a Coupe or Sedan guy, but it could be argued that by moving the pillar, you changed the aero on the body.  Also don't know if you've modified the rear roll-pan looking contour and how that would effect things.

Sure make a better-looking MG out of it.  Too late for them to offer that model, I guess.

Thank you!

The rear pan is also factory, it's just single skinned instead of triple as it came from the factory. The space for the inner two layers is now taken up by the chassis crossmember that carries the 'chute bracket.

It's the aero bit that I don't understand, and will probably be my downfall, as the profile is exactly as it came from the factory.

Oh well, must keep building...there's racing to be done. :wink:

Oh, and it's road legal as well! :-D

427MG

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 12:11:04 PM »
Oh well, I've just had confirmation from Dan Wright (USFRA Tech inspector) that you are all indeed correct in your suspicions that my car doesn't fit in with any known category. :cry:

It can probably be used for Time Only, I'll be looking for the specs I'll need for that. I suppose I could enter the Nevada State road race whilst I'm over to make it worth the trip! 8-)

Thank you for all of your input and help guys, it's much appreciated. 8-)

I'll be back with another car that fits the rules... :-D

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »
The Magnette would make a neat drag car, and its lines could benefit from four or five inches out of the top.

A Modified Sports MGA roadster with a rat could sure be fun!

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

427MG

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »
The Magnette would make a neat drag car, and its lines could benefit from four or five inches out of the top.

A Modified Sports MGA roadster with a rat could sure be fun!

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

I've driven one with 3" out of the top and that gave me 'hot rodders neck'

so I thought I'd give it a try with plenty of head room for the cage. It is channelled 3"..

I like the idea of an MGA, I never thought of that one. A nice big rumbly rat engine and then turn up at the MG International do with it. That'd get the tweeds all blustering into their pipes! 8-)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:53:49 PM by 427MG »