Author Topic: salt clean up after speed week  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
salt clean up after speed week
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »
Racers and crews. I cannot stress how important the vehicle desalting is after speed week. Just washing of the salt is not enough. Removing the wheels and brake drums are critical as well. Using a product like salt-x can save a lot later. A few have found out that a $1600.00 brake job was not in the budget wasn't planned. The same clean up for the race vehicle and trailer and support equipment. Don't put it off as Wendover lock tite sets in quickly. Clean up takes time and only you can do it. This year was a dry by Bonneville standards
But salt is a tough product to clean and protect after the fact.

I had to replace two brake rotors because the vents were packed with salt a few years back. Take the time to do it right and put it on your to do lists for next time. :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

McRat

Re: salt clean up after speed week
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:33:59 PM »
We cleaned up, but then found more, and more.  This weekend we start anew and try again.

I think the Salt Fairy is stuffing more salt in crevices every night.

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »
  Glen once a gain has it right - don't wait to do clean up on your Race Car
Tow Vehicle and Trailer.  You only think you got it clean at the car wash in Wendover.  Put a sprinkler under them for a good long while and be shocked at what drops out.  (On Top of the A-Arms is a nifty hiding spot)
  A number of years ago after a Wet Speed Week I lost both front rotors and the alternator along with the starter on a Crew Cab Dually $$$ - these items were not in the budget - paid more attention after that lesson. Pat Kinne

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
I have bin looking in to the the clean up. I fortunately run a motorcycle. I will take it completely apart as part of the "plan". before loading it into the trailer.
The head set and wheels and brakes all the body work .Thats after cleaning in the normal way.I like to wash parts with brake Cleann and air pressure. I figure water will dissolve the salt into the cracks.
 I think some preventive stuff like dielectric grease in the plug connections and then putting a balloon over the electrical connection will help.
I cringe when I see old footage of roadsters splashing through salt puddles. I would not be able to sleep at night.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »
Racer X, log onto www.salt-x.com   you will get answers there, I have used their product for several years and the results are great.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
Electric trailer brakes are critical as are any exposed light and trailer plugs. The trailer Hitch, bumper type should be taken apart and cleaned, greased  as well. Any thing that can move like leaf springs will need attention.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »
Racer X, log onto www.salt-x.com   you will get answers there, I have used their product for several years and the results are great.
Thank you very much Eric
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline jeffb

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:17:04 PM »
I made my first trip to the salt with my truck, trailer and bike.  When I got home I thought I cleaned everything good and hosed it down with WD40, but the bike is a mess and it's a good thing my trailer is kind of a throw away.  I will be ordering some salt X.

Jeff

Offline comp

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 11:47:15 PM »
 i need to look into this stuff for winter roads

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:12:54 AM »
Per Glen's recommendation earlier in the month, I liberally applied salt-x to everything. I noticed all week while there that both the car and truck didn't have the salt build up that some other vehicles had. When we got home, most of the salt fell off before getting a chance to wash and when washing it all came off fairly easily.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »
Before leaving for Bonneville I had liberally sprayed "Salt-away" (probably similar to "Salt-X") to the bottom side of my truck and trailer. Good idea, but bad timing as we ran thru a major thunderstorm Saturday around Mesquite on the I-15.

I thought it was supposed to rain on the way home! Oh well, that's the way the week went.

Tom

P.S. A little of the material goes a long way.