Author Topic: Glen are you there--7 point Belt System  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Glen are you there--7 point Belt System
« on: March 30, 2005, 01:03:00 AM »
James started installing a 6th belt for the harness. Our racing association now requires that reclined drivers have an extra belt that attaches to the floor near the driver's knees, (the location is clearly defined but that's about where it winds up), to keep the shoulder belts tight in a accident. After contacting a number of places, Glen Barrett suggested Crow Enterprises in Fullerton. They had exactly what we needed at a very reasonable cost. I highly recommend them for driver restraint systems.

I'm having some trouble finding the required 7 point system required when the driver is in a reclining postion.  Glen I found the above quote on the Rice Vigeant Racing Site, but I can't find a phone or address for Crow Enterprises.  Do you or someone else have one?

Any other sources for a 7 point system?

Thanks, Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Glen are you there--7 point Belt System
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:51:00 AM »
Autopower/ Rick White 619-297-3300
 The first of those was in the Guthrie +Dolan liner.
 We also used a 2nd lap belt across the chest to keep you in the curve of the seat.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »
Crow Ent.
 160 Freedom Av.
 Anaheim,Ca.92801
 714-879-5970
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »
Thanks guys and Jack the second lap belt sounds like something to look into.

The rules say a 7 point harness.  I can see where the 5th and 6th belts in the crotch area stop you from sliding down, but I can't quite figure out what the 7th belt does as it extends down towards your feet.  The rule book says it is there to prevent the driver from sliding up into the roll cage. Sliding towards the rear of the car?  Sliding in a vertical direction?  Sliding towards the foot well?

c ya, Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »
The 6 points are sholder, lap,leg.
 80% of your mass is usually in your butt and upper legs.(your size may vary) A single crotch will cross your eyes but is easily understood and not a good idea.
 The 7th strab down at an angle to pull tension against the shoulder straps will help to keep you from going the other way. Without it the shoulder harness will just roll up with only the side tension from the lap belt to provide the holding.
 The least space you have to move around is up and wour head an neck are at the highest risk.
 Keeping you in the protective limits of the vehicle is their job, Staying in the fitted curve of the seat is aided by the second belt with another buckle.
 You spend a lot more time needing it in a crash than the extra time would be to use it.

<small>[ March 31, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks Jack, I see what the 7th strap does now.  I knew it must do something   :) .

c ya, Sum

Offline Howard

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
Sorry Jack, You can't have that one. I installed the chest belt in the car at Jim Diest's urging in the winter of 1988 before I sold the car to Scott Guthrie.
 Howard

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
I feel your pain.
 I was speaking of the 7th strap.
 The chest strap was used earlier on a number of vehicles including endurance racers to help support a tired driver.
 Originally Sam Brown was given credit for the one sided support in a stock car before seats were impooved.
 I first saw one at the LA Times race in 64.

Offline Howard

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
Sorry Jack, I misunderstood. We had a nine point harness in our new car that I sold to Earl Wooden. Like you said,it pulls straight down on the shoulder harness to prevent your shoulders from rolling up and crushing your neck on the top of the car. They used to run the "Sam Brown" harness in the super modifieds at Speedway Park in Albuquerque in the 60's.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 10:08:00 PM »
Hey, Sami misunderstands the whole racing thing.
 She says hello and me to.
 If I get out of line, step on My neck.
 Sami said you could do that for her.
 Jack