Author Topic: Interesting side trip  (Read 9879 times)

Offline AJR192

Interesting side trip
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »
For those who like side trips or just like to know about obscure bits of history. Across the road from the gas station at exit 4, there is a frontage road. If you follow this road till you are about even with the port of entry on your left (East). Get out and search through the brush a little about 100 yards or so East of the frontage road and you will find a grave marker. It belongs to a WWII pilot who augered in while training. A fellow I used to work with used to set up the courses for off road races they held by the gravel pit. One day he noticed some people standing in the brush looking at something so he went to see if they were all right. It turned out they were the pilot's relatives and were visiting his grave. They told my friend that the plane was so badly damaged that they could not separate the pilot from the plane, so they simply buried him where he crashed. I found the grave a few years ago and it was quite interesting. Besides the marker, there are bits of metal that obviously were from the plane. Being as it is so close, maybe a few bend campers would find it interesting to see after racing one evening.

roadtrip

Re: Interesting side trip
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »
Thank you for that.

It's a piece of history not to be ignored.

It is now on my down-time list.

DS

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
Another interesting side trip is the museum in the lobby of the Wendover airport. It has lots of pictures and tells the history of Wendover AFB.It where the AF trained, among other things B-29 crews. I believe that the Enola Gay was there for awhile. Really was a nice side trip.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »
The Wendover visitors center across from the Pepper Mill has a lot of the local history. Us old guys that were there in the early 50s were lucky to see the town as it was after WW-II. There is a book out on Wendover with great pictures and lots of the history including LSR on the salt.

Wendover
Winds of Change
By Ronald Bateman
ISBN 780974 598321
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
Thanks, Glen.  That's a book that I want to own...

I guess I need to be careful who I buy a used copy from:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Wendover-Winds-of-Change/Ronald-Bateman/p/9780974598321

$203.61 is a budget-breaker  :mrgreen:

There is another used copy on Amazon.com for $29.99

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline mkilger

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
be sure to visit windover willy  on the west side of town  to remember the racers we have lost at bonneville  it will bring tears to your eyes.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
On page 172 of Wendover - Winds of Change -- there's a photo of a young Ron Christensen, the guy that's the announcer on AM 1610 -- the Salt Flats radio station on the air during SpeedWeek and World of Speed. 

Our copy of the book is autographed by Mr. Bateman, the author -- maybe the $200++ one that's for sale is also autographed.  It's a fine book of history about the area.

And also -- about the Wendover Will sign/statue -- there are some bricks with names of folks that contributed to the fund to move, erect, and maintain the thing.  Nancy and I have our names on one of the bricks.  You can find out more about them - and lots of other stuff -- at the West Wendover visitor center, as was mentioned elsewhere in this topic.  They've got some Bonneville posters and photos and sometimes even encourage us racers to donate some more to their collection -- lots of tourists stop in and ask about the racing, so there's your chance to have someone you've never heard of -- hear of you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline AJR192

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:10:06 AM »
Fred
  The Enola Gay and all the other bombers that were involved with the atomic bomb program trained at Wendover. The same friend who told me about the grave also had several old bomb casings that had been used as practice bombs on the other side of the mountains to the west of the flats. He is always specific in not telling exactly where he found the dummies, but they are for sure WWII vintage bombs. I think he snuck out onto the military range to get them. They were filled with almost a pea gravel-I guess to replicate the weight of the real bombs. There is a ton of history right around the Salt that hardly anyone cares about anymore.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »
There are a lot of 50 cal bullets in the mountain north where they appeared to be practicing as well. ( drive up toward the town dump on the dirt road left at the bend in the road and then walk back toward town).
 I thought the Billy Mitchell B-25's that did the Tokyo Raid in spring of '42 did their Short takeoff (I left from carrier you remember) practice there too.  Not positive about that but think so.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »
AJR192, I was pretty sure that they all trained there but not positive. I hate to post something as fact and be wrong.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »
Two years ago Celia found a 50 cal bullet in the middle of the pits. Thought that was an odd place to find it.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
When at speed week in the mid 90's the owner of one of the hardware stores brought out his home made 50 cal. Sniper riffle to show it off to us.  I had never seen a bullet that big before.

LVMAXX

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:57:15 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »
I'd suggest you call the Car Quest in Wendover, Utah.  The manager/owner is Mike Crawford, and he's city manager or something like that for one or the other of the towns.  He's also a Corvette guy.  He would likely have a handle on available housing units.  Also try calling the W. Wendover Visitor Center.  Kerry is the lady that runs it -- she's Mike's sister, I think it is -- and she would also be able to point you towards either the available housing - or to an agent that lists said housing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LVMAXX

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:56:29 AM by LVMAXX »