Author Topic: Is it as simple as this?  (Read 26549 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it as simple as this?
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »
Again, I ask - were yu there?

DW

Mike Cook was there. Perhaps you should discuss it with him.

Hey Dan you were there too if I remember. You said something about those boys having a real hard time with traction I think. How many times did they spin that F-1 car 10 or so? It's all so fuzzy being that I didn't really care about a Formula car or even a NASACR stock car being the fastest of whatever they are this week. They change car aero like I change my shorts.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Ratliff

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2008, 01:45:43 PM »
Again, I ask - were yu there?

DW

Mike Cook was there. Perhaps you should discuss it with him.

Hey Dan you were there too if I remember. You said something about those boys having a real hard time with traction I think. How many times did they spin that F-1 car 10 or so? It's all so fuzzy being that I didn't really care about a Formula car or even a NASACR stock car being the fastest of whatever they are this week. They change car aero like I change my shorts.

F1 cars run ballast for several reasons. One is they need it to make the F1 weight minimum. It could be a couple of hundred pounds, but nothing like the amount of ballast many Bonneville teams are running.

Given that dragster style and belly tank lakesters can be running in the same class, there is even greater variation in their aero than F1 or NASCAR.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 01:48:25 PM by Ratliff »

canadianrocky

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

Maybe Honda would help me out with the SK2 project. I need some shorts.

dwarner

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »
My point exactly Mike.

Reading web reports and posting the info is not like being involved. Do you believe everything you read?

A non-participant, never participanted, never will participant should not voice opinions based on someone else's experiences. If the cost of gas is what keeps you and your racer off the track you should move on to golf.

canadianrocky, they didn't help us. See my avatar.

DW

canadianrocky

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2008, 03:18:44 PM »

DW

Ya, I was just being silly. I actually think I will put the words "Zoom Zoom" on the side just to get their goat.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »
"If the cost of gas is what keeps you and your racer off the track you should move on to golf".

I will add one more.  If you cant afford the nitro don't go fuel racing, you should move onto ping pong. Dan golf might be a little pricey as green fees run into what a tank of gas cots. LOL

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Ratliff

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2008, 08:00:32 PM »
My point exactly Mike.

Reading web reports and posting the info is not like being involved. Do you believe everything you read?

A non-participant, never participanted, never will participant should not voice opinions based on someone else's experiences. If the cost of gas is what keeps you and your racer off the track you should move on to golf.

DW

At sea level at 250 mph a car with nine square feet of frontal area and a .65 drag coefficient would be losing 623 horsepower to drag. The Honda F1 car probably had less than nine square feet frontal area.

If you can find web reports on the subjects in the links below anywhere else besides this website please let me know.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3996.0.html

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4050.0.html

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4010.0.html

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4008.0.html

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4046.0.html

Below are links to two web articles about driver capsules for drag cars. Mine came out three years before the other one, and even that was already two years after I described the idea to Bret Kepner in an interview published in the October 1999 issue of Drag Racing USA magazine. My recommendation to NHRA to upgrade cockpit intrusion protection was three years before NHRA began requiring full titanium shielding on rollcages.

http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD%20Dec%202001/SOD-121201.htm

http://www.draglist.com/artman/publish/phil_elliott/article_00724.shtml
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:38:47 PM by Ratliff »

John Romero

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2008, 09:38:55 PM »
Sorry to veer this back on topic.

In 2004 and some of 2005 I ran the typical frontrunner style tires. front and back. Steel rims and moon discs. They were stable and worked well except for a serious lack of forward traction. The car is FWD and runs as much as 540 hp at the wheels. I pretty much had wheel spin whenever I was on boost and under 170 MPH or so. At El Mirage I could spin the tires from the start line through all 5 gears and through the lights. While this was humorous, the durability of these tires while being abused like this was always a question in my mind. Also, the light switch power output of my motor made "pedaling" it very difficult.

In late 05 I switched to street tires (Toyo proxies, P215-50-ZR17). I can still spin the tires but now only up to 125 MPH or so. At el mirage I think they are great. At the short course at bonneville I think they are great. I am still accelerating out the back. On the long course they are not so great. I think the front-runners are better.

I know the moon caps are better *always* but I think on my car they were ugly so off they came. If I get to a point where I need more speed I may put them on but I am nowhere near max boost so they will stay in the attic for now.

The pics above represent the car setup for different classes, taken during different years but were the easiest ones I could find

I am good to run them for a little while longer since I run a little motor (H) and the records I am running on are all under 200.

OK, you guys can now go back to discussing funny-car safety capsules, Soviet-era land speed cars and drawings of 1,000 MPH rocket cars.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:43:57 PM by John Romero »

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2008, 10:04:07 PM »
OK, I want to know how Fast Freddy goes 300mph at EM on them skinny suckers?
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

canadianrocky

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2008, 11:02:15 PM »
Sorry to veer this back on topic.

OK, you guys can now go back to discussing funny-car safety capsules, Soviet-era land speed cars and drawings of 1,000 MPH rocket cars.

Well.... I would rather know about tires.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2008, 11:46:04 PM »
OK, I want to know how Fast Freddy goes 300mph at EM on them skinny suckers?

It's called a wing. :-D

John Romero

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2008, 12:04:08 AM »
and rear wheel drive  :lol:

I could still go fast, I just found I could go faster when I had more traction!

Ratliff

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2008, 12:23:17 AM »

The first two cars to go 300 mph were rear wheel drive. Both also used dualie rear tires.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
John:

Is a front wing legal in your class? The rear drive cars are allowed rear wings. Take a look at the unlimited class cars that run the Pikes Peak hillclimb.

Pete

Ratliff

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2008, 10:48:40 AM »
If not a front wing then how about a splitter?

However, I don't see anything in the language governing altereds that prohibits the installation of a true wing forward of the bumper so that it's attached to the frame not the body.

I also don't see any language that prohibits canard wings like those Lew Arrington used...

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4110.0.html

...although in the case of the canard wings the drag penalty may outweigh the increase in traction (or, to be more accurate, the increase in forward thrust).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 11:28:32 AM by Ratliff »