Author Topic: Some thoughts on Funny Car safety  (Read 14176 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Some thoughts on Funny Car safety
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »
Mr. Ratliff, and I use the honorific guardedly -- because you aren't doing much to earn it:

I feel that you are ignoring the heart of the matter at hand when you comment on "playing by the rules" -- and you haven't done so.  I've asked you -- and I'm not the only one, although I'm the guy that owns and operates this site -- to not post entire texts, but rather to put a link to something that's long-winded and can easily be found by use of that link.

For that matter, while safety is uppermost in our concern as racers -- funny car safety is not land speed racing-related other than by the fact that there are some parallels in the two.  Acknowledging that a racer has died is fine -- a fine showing of the anguish that any of us feels -- even discussing how funny car safety improvements can benefit our sport is fine -- but quoting hundreds of words from another racing venue, when the exact same words could have been made available to our forum members by the use of a one-line link -- that's not what we want to see here.

We?  Yes, I've heard from others on this topic.  PLEASE stop putting so much stuff on the site, for my sake and the sake of others that really are racers. 

I guess I'll have to say it this way -- that's three strikes for you.  Next time might not be seen by anyone but you and me -- if I catch it quickly.  Either straighten up and fly right -- or lurk, read, and don't even try to post.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »
Ya know what Slim… your wrong on this one….. Ok I’ve been lurking ever since John kicked “everyone” off this site a few months ago, and at times I cant resist giving someone a smack down so I just stayed off but now its time to say something…… Slim you’ve been reading too many PM’s from all the little punk ass bitches that don’t like Ratliff… when the facts are, that he has posted the majority of use full info on this site…Yes some of it is old stuff but it is quite informative and interesting… I enjoy looking at his posts and quite frankly dislike the ongoing banter of “hey look I changed the color of the duct tape on my racer” and the following “good boy, good boy you’ve gone a good job” It kinda makes me wanna puke… but hey you girls just continue to pass your cookie recipies around, I see where this forum is headed…….

So here is a fact you can look up Slim… reread a bunch of Ratliff’s posts, not once has he attacked anyone on this site like he use to do….NOT ONCE!….. even when you allow all the other little girls to attack him, he has never resorted in a negative response… you need to tell all the other punks on this site to lay off of him and start posting useful info like he does instead of being little bitches….. or kick them off….

As far as posting big files….. Slim that’s YOUR problem,  not your customers problem that is contributing to the content of YOUR site.  It’s not our fault that your site uses an old outdated structure or your server cant handle all the content and traffic… That’s something you need to work out on your end… Instead of stifling useful incoming info why don’t you put a limit on the useless bullshitting “oh Johnny I cant wait to see ya at the track, when ya coming in? where ya gonna stay? I’m so excited, bla, bla, bla”….. That crap takes up bandwith too…. I would much rather see Ratliff’s stuff myself

I mean, what do ya really want this site to be Slim?… a place where people can come and get use full info and help or do ya want it to be a schoolgirl gossip site…

LATER

Offline desotoman

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »
Kent,

From reading your post, it is obvious you are still very upset about previously being removed from this site. I feel your post is very offensive. I suggest you start your own website and conduct business how you like on it. Maybe you can ask Franklin to be your Webmaster.

Tom G.

PS. Sorry to get off of the topic.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen -

Scott Kalitta's crash has touched a nerve in this community.  Many of you probably knew him, admired him, or maybe even raced against him.  So the topic of Funny Car safety, though not directly related to LSR, is a topic which I'm prepared to moderate.  And I would like to steer the conversation back in that direction. 

But let's see if we can return to a measured tone and stay on topic.  If you have any comments or questions about actions or statements made by the moderators or the site owner in this topic, please take it to private message. 

If anyone has said anything here that they would like to go back and delete or edit, I don't think anybody will think the lesser of you for doing so.

Chris

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:43:02 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline racergeo

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 02:27:17 AM »

I believe that SSS's point to Ratliff about the way he makes his posts is well taken, but he (Ratliff) is being used as a whipping boy and thus Kents point is also well taken. There is room for Ratliff, Jack,Kent, people to lazy to use spell check as well as hobby spelling critiquers (tongue in cheek).
   Everybody seems to just jump on the band wagon to put people down when all they have to do is use their IGNORE button.

bak189

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »
I decited to start posting again on this forum when Slim took the site over...........I send him some money.......and again got involved.
My main reason for posting again was due to the fact that very little if any info. is posted about the BUB Trials................all we read about is SCTA/BNI and ECTA........I felt if anyone had any
questions regarding the event and/or rules there should be someone on this forum to help out.  I agree with Kent that too much BS  and
 "how are you doing Bobby" is being posted.......
Hey, that is what phones are for..............................
Anyway, way to go Kent, tell them like it is..........
Anyone got a GOOD recipe for oatmeal cookies??????

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »
Well NHRA just announced for the time being the Pro Fuel cars (Dragsters and Floppers) will only race 1,000' for now....

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 12:58:38 PM »
There's much better and more informed places to get info on this crash and many other non lsr items that go on here, then from someone that copies and pastes with disregard to the forum owner's wishes.
I don't find the info bad.. just easily accessible and annoyingly over abundant from one person I've never heard even fair numbers from via building, tuning or driving.

Kent, your post (imo) is by far the most disrespectful I've read on here. Your post (directly against the guidelines your friend ratcliff posted in this thread), is the one that should be in a PM or face to face to both JW and those you are refering to in your smack down attitude. If it's about me, I prefer the phone call and face to face method myself - I've heard enough behind my back on the web while a hand has later been extended to me in person... I would think most others feel the same should your words be about them. LSR is about comeraderie for many of us, as much as it is about speed at times.... whether you like it or not.

JW, it's your palyground... we'd prefer you leave it open to self moderation but when someone can't firgure out how to nicely walk around your size 13 shoe on the play gorund, sometimes you have to let them feel it and spit the sand out of their mouth on their own.

Ratcliff, Propster, etc... or whatever name you change to next to try and gain acceptance.... webspace is VERY inexpensive if not free. Spend a dollar or two and start a site, or open one of the free forums on MSN or Yahoo. You'll surely have a following of some sort (Kent appears to be at the top of the list to be one of your moderators), and at the same time you can rejoice in the fact that you will take away the pleasure some of us might find in JW banishing you to a place even farther north then he is.

I quit reading anything ratcliff had to say awhile back(and even quit coming here), but it's easy to see which posts are his by reading the first few words others have say.... shame as there's some good info there I'm sure.

I want to say that he should have his own room, thread or group of threads here as a place some of us can visit or disregard as we wish, but I don't see where that's JW's gig to make that happen either.
His posts (whether directly or indirectly and whether purposely or not) fully effect the way this forum runs and I'd rather miss info he copies and pastes (and find it myself), then have to miss hearing from those I truly hold in high regard due to their experiences and involvemnt in LSR today.

Ratcliff... tell us what you did and how you suceeded or failed and cut you knuckles open or got laughed at or lost your wife over or whatever, your second and third hand views are a dime a dozen.

IE: I'd rather hear just one time personally how Joe Blow failed going 100mph and what he did to try, then I would to hear via a link or a book scan second hand multiple times about Art Arfons going 500mph.
Todd

Ratliff

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
There's much better and more informed places to get info on this crash and many other non lsr items that go on here, then from someone that copies and pastes with disregard to the forum owner's wishes.
I don't find the info bad.. just easily accessible and annoyingly over abundant from one person I've never heard even fair numbers from via building, tuning or driving.

Kent, your post (imo) is by far the most disrespectful I've read on here. Your post (directly against the guidelines your friend ratcliff posted in this thread), is the one that should be in a PM or face to face to both JW and those you are refering to in your smack down attitude. If it's about me, I prefer the phone call and face to face method myself - I've heard enough behind my back on the web while a hand has later been extended to me in person... I would think most others feel the same should your words be about them. LSR is about comeraderie for many of us, as much as it is about speed at times.... whether you like it or not.

JW, it's your palyground... we'd prefer you leave it open to self moderation but when someone can't firgure out how to nicely walk around your size 13 shoe on the play gorund, sometimes you have to let them feel it and spit the sand out of their mouth on their own.

Ratcliff, Propster, etc... or whatever name you change to next to try and gain acceptance.... webspace is VERY inexpensive if not free. Spend a dollar or two and start a site, or open one of the free forums on MSN or Yahoo. You'll surely have a following of some sort (Kent appears to be at the top of the list to be one of your moderators), and at the same time you can rejoice in the fact that you will take away the pleasure some of us might find in JW banishing you to a place even farther north then he is.

I quit reading anything ratcliff had to say awhile back(and even quit coming here), but it's easy to see which posts are his by reading the first few words others have say.... shame as there's some good info there I'm sure.

I want to say that he should have his own room, thread or group of threads here as a place some of us can visit or disregard as we wish, but I don't see where that's JW's gig to make that happen either.
His posts (whether directly or indirectly and whether purposely or not) fully effect the way this forum runs and I'd rather miss info he copies and pastes (and find it myself), then have to miss hearing from those I truly hold in high regard due to their experiences and involvemnt in LSR today.

Ratcliff... tell us what you did and how you suceeded or failed and cut you knuckles open or got laughed at or lost your wife over or whatever, your second and third hand views are a dime a dozen.

IE: I'd rather hear just one time personally how Joe Blow failed going 100mph and what he did to try, then I would to hear via a link or a book scan second hand multiple times about Art Arfons going 500mph.
Todd

"My friend Jerry Verheul helped save many lives. He and Al Swindahl discussed a similar driver capsule for Top Fuel about 1984. I feel it is due time for Top Fuel to get such a capsule/egg. Actually way beyond due time."

http://www.draglist.com/artman/publish/phil_elliott/article_00724.shtml

Aside from my article on Draglist.com ( http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD%20Dec%202001/SOD-121201.htm ), the above article by Phil Elliot is the only other place on the web where there has been detailed discussion of driver capsules in drag cars.

My knowledge of the safety potential of driver capsules came from seeing the film of the "sitting inside the sun" X-15 explosion with Scott Crossfield, as well as being a firsthand eyewitness to the recovery of the Craig Arfons jet hydroplane after the crash.

And there is no "C" in Ratliff.

Since you're a motorcycle racer, you might find this discussion of rider drag chutes of interest.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4123.45.html

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4123.60.html

Video of Crossfield's "being inside the sun" X-15 explosion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXpEPZ6ZZIs

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 01:41:22 PM by Ratliff »