Author Topic: Water on the Salt  (Read 7565 times)

Offline AJR192

Water on the Salt
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »
My dad went to Wendover yesterday and said that there looks to be a foot or more water on the salt. I don't recall that being normal for the second week of June. Is it? We have had a very wet spring here in Northern Utah and that could be part of it. When do the course preppers usually start work? Only two months left.

Offline Dave Haller

Re: Water on the Salt
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:36:13 PM »
I spoke with someone who was out on the salt last week through the weekend. Was advised the salt was dry up until they left this past weekend. Apparently it rained hard Friday or Saturday night. When they went back out they said water was up to their ankles. Also was advised that is normal for June and part of July. 8-)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:41:46 AM »
Apparently it rained hard Friday or Saturday night. When they went back out they said water was up to their ankles. Also was advised that is normal for June and part of July. 8-)

Not only is it normal (this is one reason that USFRA quit trying to hold a meet in July) but it is very good for the salt. If it drys too fast after the winter season we have a much tougher time cutting down the pressure ridges and smoothing out the course.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »
I find it hard to believe that when Larry Volk and Mike Cook were on the salt late last week reporting 1" of rain that it has increased 11 more inches in two days. I am sure we would have heard of a gully washer like that.

It all depends on where you stand as to how deep the water is. Remember, we don't care about any part of the area other than the race track. A wet pits is uncomfortable to be sure but, it does not stop the racing.

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
Dan
I would think that SCTA would have posted something on the web site so people know whats going on. There has been no mention of the advance party going up or what they found or did.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:49:35 PM »
It seems like we go thru this every year . . .

"My uncle was coming from Wyoming . . ."

"I looked at the satellite image  . . ."

and so on.

Every year all that doesn't mean a thing.  It can change the day before the event -- and has.  Keep bolting the parts together and check back the 1st of August.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 01:39:05 AM »
That last sentence applies to you, Stan.

Off the computer, back downstairs to the garage!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
.....  It can change the day before the event -- and has.  Keep bolting the parts together and check back the 1st of August.

and it can change during the event, or from morning till evening.  :-P

Offline DallasV

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:37:36 AM »
Dan
I would think that SCTA would have posted something on the web site so people know whats going on. There has been no mention of the advance party going up or what they found or did.

I don't think Larry and Mike were out there on an advaced course finding mission. I believe they were out there talking with the Intrepid engineer about a new plan for pulling brine off the flats. Larry sounded like it could be a good thing, possibly allow us to move the starting line further down the dike towards I80.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:39:36 AM by DallasV »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »
Wes Potter said they drug 3 courses then it started to rain. The rain is needed to make dragging better. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »
Dallas is correct. The advance party has not gone yet. There is no SCTA involvement, nothing for them to report.

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:34:56 PM »
Dan
You saw the letter I got from Wes. That's what I was going by.
GB
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09:37 AM »
That good Glen. Someone asked why the SCTA has not reported. They have yet to arrive.

DW

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:20 AM »
One thing I believe of major importance:  With the cost of gas, and the number of entrants traveling long distance, I think it is imperative that the SCTA  provide a message phone that is updated at least two times a day relating to current weather conditions.  For  a East Coaster, turning around in Wyoming could save a thousand bucks or more in fuel....................Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 03:46:27 PM »
Bob D
They do every year except the day they are on the road. We always try to contact people by cell phone when we can. I have several cell numbers and try to relay info when I have it. Can't always call everyone but the word seems to get out to those on the road.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah