Author Topic: Numbers of Wheels Versus Records Held  (Read 1735 times)

MarkV

Numbers of Wheels Versus Records Held
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
I realize there are numerous classes out there for motorcycles and cars, but are there instances where, for a given displacement, a 'car' (meaning it has 4 wheels) has a higher speed record than a motorcycle?  If you were attempting to set a record for a certain displacement and had a clean sheet of paper to begin with, would there be advantages to building a streamliner with 2, 3, or 4 wheels?  I'm thinking that a 4-wheeler might be more stable, but a 2 wheeler might have less rolling resistance.  Would a 3-wheeled machine be a good compromise?  I realize this is a broad question, but remember it's a clean sheet build (and I'm a newbie!   :-D)

Thanks,
Mark 

Offline RichFox

Re: Numbers of Wheels Versus Records Held
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:12:36 AM »
Ypu might compare Rick Yacoucci's car (G/BFS) records against simular sized motorcycle records.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:21:32 AM »
Ypu might compare Rick Yacoucci's car (G/BFS) records against simular sized motorcycle records.

Rick 352 mph  (under 2000cc) average, but I think a 360+ one way.  The bike streamliners are knocking on the door though with Denis's (3000cc) 350 average and Mikes (3000cc) almost 350 run and Sam's (1100cc) 355.  I think the bikes will go faster, but saying that they might run out of tire and traction and the car might have the advantage, but for now Sam is the king in regards to displacement/mph.

It would be interesting if Jack/Rick were to build a 2 engine (3000 cc) 4 wheel-drive streamliner.  I think then in the 3000 cc and under they would rule, but and there are so many variables they are probably about out of tire now also.

It could get interesting and to answer the original question if you aren't going after the world top speed record the bike streamliner with a smaller frontal area should beat the same size car, but they are lots, lots, harder to ride/drive and thus I believe lots harder to build and get right especially if it is your first vehicle. 

As for 3 wheels leave those to Bob and John and Willie.......

Sum
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:57:58 PM by Sumner »

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »
Sum,

Slight mistake. Rick has a G/BGS record at 352. Thats 2 litres on gasoline, faster than either 3 liter bike.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »
Sum,

Slight mistake. Rick has a G/BGS record at 352. Thats 2 litres on gasoline, faster than either 3 liter bike.

DW

Thanks, I had the average right, but the one-way off by 100.  Fixed it,

Sum