Author Topic: Flat Out...........  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Flat Out...........
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »
If you don't have Rocky's (Robinson) book FLAT OUT and you are a land speed racing nut you should seriously think about getting it.

This book is a great read and has a lot of insight into what is involved in trying to snag a really challenging record like the motorcycle land speed record in this case, but the lessons told and learned here can apply to anyone on the salt.

If you are building, have built or are considering building a car such as a lakester or streamliner or a bike streamliner the info in this book that Rocky talks about that relate to brakes, chutes, aero and lots more is worth the price of the book itself.  Denis and Mike spent some big bucks and went through learning curves on what works and doesn't work that can really be transferred to lakesters and streamliners in particular.  I learned a lot and some of it will mostlikly save me some money and frustration and make my chances of success much higher.

Thanks Rocky for writing the book and sharing with all of us,

Sum

Flat Out: The Race for the Motorcycle World Land Speed Record
by
Rocky Robinson
ISBN 0-7603-3163-4

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Flat Out...........
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »
And I've said this before about the book:  Take it with you to any event where you know Rocky'll be in attendance.  He'll autograph the book for you -- and not only will you have a signed copy, but you'll have got the signature of one of the (many) special folks that race at Bonneville.  Remember how sad you were when Carl Heap passed and you hadn't taken time to get his autograph?  Or when Don Vesco didn't come back for another year?  And on and on -- so don't let this chance get away from you.

Yes, our copy is autographed.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Flat Out...........
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
And I've said this before about the book:  Take it with you to any event where you know Rocky'll be in attendance.  He'll autograph the book for you -- and not only will you have a signed copy, but you'll have got the signature of one of the (many) special folks that race at Bonneville.  Remember how sad you were when Carl Heap passed and you hadn't taken time to get his autograph?  Or when Don Vesco didn't come back for another year?  And on and on -- so don't let this chance get away from you.

Yes, our copy is autographed.

Gosh Jon the last time I checked Rocky was a lot younger than you or I and appeared to be in very good health.  Maybe they need to buy it and get it autographed because it is a good read and it would be nice to have an autographed copy before he gets more famous and starts charging for them  8-) ,

Sum