Author Topic: Side Car Wheel  (Read 11528 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Side Car Wheel
« on: February 21, 2008, 04:38:38 PM »

For FIM records, are the rules the same as the SCTA?  The rules say for a streamliner side car rig, the wheel can be any diameter, and the track is 32".  My question is, if the rules are the same, can the wheel be made from aluminum? 

Max

bak189

Re: Side Car Wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »
SCTA/BNI and AMA/FIM sidecar rules are NOT
the same.....................................................................
AMA/FIM rule 10.B. Front/Rear wheel
Front and rear wheel size is restricted to 10" minimum and sidecar minimum of 5' dia.

This is under the "normal" sidecar rules but pertains also to sidecar streamliner.

11.A Sidecar streamliner.
Sidecar size minimums in this section are applicable

A "solid" sidecar wheel is allowed with the AMA/FIM.

32' minimum track is the same with SCTA/BNI
and AMA/FIM
Go for it ,Max

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »
 :-)

Thanks a bunch.  Got a little confused on the 5' wheel diameter.  You didn't mean that did you?
Shouldn't it have read 5"?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:31:30 PM »
why bother with aluminum i have some dragster front wheels they are 500x5- -13 in tall  goodyear eagle frontrunners rated to 300 +mph with rim and bearings   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »
Sorry Max,........your right 5 inch wheel.........Now keep in mind if you make a solid wheel you may
want to go somewhat larger.....a 5 inch wheel
with tire gets to be around 8 to 9 inches....you don't want to "overspeed" the bearings......or go with one of Willie's wheels ..................................

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »
:-D Hey Max, I think I sent you some drawings of an aluminum sidecar wheel that I am making for my sidecar streamliner. My understanding is the SCTA/BLR/BNI and a host of other acronyms don’t want anything other than rubber touching the salt.  :roll: SCTA tech committee wants me to send them the wheel after I finish it so they can tell me if they will approve the use of aluminum for the third wheel and let me run it.  :| Willie probably has the best idea...go with his offer. Wait 'till I get the use of aluminum approved (if ever) for the sidecar wheel...that is unless you would like to jump through all the hoops. :-D

I am still planning on coming over to visit you in early March. We can talk about it more then or you can give me a call anytime. :-)

Hey Willie, whatcha want for a tire and rim?? :?

Terry A. Hume
660-477-3535
ctracing@earthlink.net
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

bak189

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:17:02 PM »
Hey, Terry....If Max runs with the BUB.....no hoops to jump throught............checked with BUB in 2007
.............solid sidecar wheel is o.k. to use..............

bak189

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »
High-speed narrow sidecar wheel......................
buy from Jegs......17x2.125 Anglia Spindle, one piece wheel..............22.0x2.5x17 tire..........................
Total around $600.00......   yes ,racing is expensive.........

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »
Terry,

The wheel that I have is an aero space spitzer racecar rim. Made for dragsters and rated for 300+ mph. Its made for an anglia spindle timkin bearing. The inner bearing ID is 1inch the outer bearing ID is 5/8 inch. The tire is a goodyear eagle frontrunner 5.00-5. The tires used but in good shape. Lots of rubber left perfect for your sidecar holds air. Tire is 13 inches tall. I have the tire the rim steel valve stem, bearings, seal and bearing cap for 175.00 + shipping. I am posting some pics. If you are interested let me know otherwise I will be posting it on parts for sale. I do have a couple more if anyone else is interested. Great for sidecar wheels or the front of your streamliner(motorcycle or car).

thanks Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »
That is a great price........better get it Terry......
Outstanding, Willie.....your efforts certainly help our sport..................................................................

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
:-D Hey Max, I think I sent you some drawings of an aluminum sidecar wheel that I am making for my sidecar streamliner. My understanding is the SCTA/BLR/BNI and a host of other acronyms don’t want anything other than rubber touching the salt.  :roll: SCTA tech committee wants me to send them the wheel after I finish it so they can tell me if they will approve the use of aluminum for the third wheel and let me run it.  :| Willie probably has the best idea...go with his offer. Wait 'till I get the use of aluminum approved (if ever) for the sidecar wheel...that is unless you would like to jump through all the hoops. :-D

I am still planning on coming over to visit you in early March. We can talk about it more then or you can give me a call anytime. :-)

Hey Willie, whatcha want for a tire and rim?? :?

Terry A. Hume
660-477-3535
ctracing@earthlink.net

Hey Terry,  Never got any drawings of any aluminum wheel.  The only thing I received from you was a computer drawing (nicely done) of your conception of the liner you're going to build. 

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 07:37:38 PM »
why bother with aluminum i have some dragster front wheels they are 500x5- -13 in tall  goodyear eagle frontrunners rated to 300 +mph with rim and bearings   willie buchta

Neat looking wheels, and the price is right, but I'll have to pass Willy.  The total frontal area of my sidecar that I intend to build is about 115 sq. in.  The tire is much too wide for my application. 

Max

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 08:08:46 PM »
Terry.  I'm a bit confused.  Why would you have sent me a picture of an aluminum wheel?  I think I have a pretty good idea of what an aluminum wheel looks like.  Anyway, I doubt if your design would be anything like my design.  My design will employ two halves.  The diameter will be 14" as that's what my lathe will swing with the gap out.  Each half will have a bevel in the outer edge, and when sandwiched together, will accept a high grade poly V belt, 3/4" wide at the apex.  So, when viewing the wheel, there will be a 3/4" flat rubber in the center, and the aluminum radiused from the flat 1/2" on either side, with two small grooves.  Timpkin bearings will be used.  The width of the wheel will be 1 and 3/4", the width of the fender will be 2 and 3/4".  The fender will be adjustable like a rudder on the tail of an airplane. 
                               Max

bak189

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 09:21:08 PM »
Sounds great Max..........give it about 3mm toe-in..

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 09:27:03 PM »
k b man what kind of bike do you have and what is the frontal area not counting the side car and how much streamlineing do you have  thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta