Author Topic: Karl and Veda Orr  (Read 1982 times)

Offline rebelce

Karl and Veda Orr
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:44:54 PM »
Some has been written about their early racing but does anyone know what happened to them?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Karl and Veda Orr
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:04:09 PM »
They passed away many years ago. Veda Orr published a photo book of lakes cars along with drawings. The book was done in 1947. As far as I know SCTA still has copies for sale. Look on their web site. If you google veda orr there is some information and pictures there as well
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:08:12 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline rebelce

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:33:28 AM »
Yes, I first found Veda's book at Bonneville several years ago. My last name is Orr as well and I couldn't resist the thought that maybe we were related. Unfortunately, not much information remains about them.  It's amazing how history remembers us. Karl and Veda were among the first and Karl coined the term "speed shop" but did they have kids?  Who knows!

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:52:52 AM »
There is a recent article in "Street Rodder" magazine about them and their race car. I think the car in the magazine is a reproduction of their race car.  I either read in that article or another one that they got away from racing later in life and they had other interest.  Check the recent book about hot rod history from the American Hot Rod Foundation.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.