Author Topic: A couple more old pics from Bonneville  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
A couple more old pics from Bonneville
« on: February 05, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
Howdy All,  :-D

The two pics that are attached are from Bonneville Nationals 1955.

The one is the famed Glass Slipper (Cortopasi Brothers?) on the starting line and I think that is the late Higbee with the flag. 8-)

The other one is also lined up to start a modified roadster and others. That no rollbar thing is surely spooky looking isn't it? :-o

Enjoy. 8-)

Regards,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: A couple more old pics from Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:12:57 PM »
The glass slipper set FIA records on the salt. It is a beautiful race car and is still shown at shows. I remember watching it run at Lions and other drag strips as well as Bonneville. The modified roadster is the Chuck Porter car. Another beauty and I heard it is being restored in the midwest. Like HB2 I have many pictures from the 50s and I can't get them out of the albums as they stick and tear if I try to remove them. It's always a joy to look at the old stuff. When I drove the Black Widow rear engine roadster in 1957 it was the 1st year it had a roll bar and shoulder harness. Looking back it's pretty scary to see what we used to drive. Glad it's survived and is in a private collection. The memories are wonderful.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:49:29 PM »
Believe the 'Slipper also set FIA standing start kilo records- and that maybe what it was at Bonneville for (BAD ENGLISH!).

Sombody with an old magzine collection can clarify.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline GeneF

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »
It appears that some records were set at a airport (?) Looking at that pic at Bonneville my first thought was: just how hot was it under that big ol canopy?  :-o

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »
USAF/SAC Base at March Field.
It is the same place that MT did all the Pontiac stuff.
In the background are B-52 bombers before they got their camouflaged paint jobs for Nam where we lost a lot of them. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline MadDuck

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 12:09:48 AM »
Glen,

You might take your albums to any Officemax and have them scanned/copied over onto disc.  The one up hear is very nice about it, good quality and pretty darn inexpensive when you price the memories.
Fly on RI Rocket #27

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:56 AM »
USAF/SAC Base at March Field.
It is the same place that MT did all the Pontiac stuff.
In the background are B-52 bombers before they got their camouflaged paint jobs for Nam where we lost a lot of them. :wink:
Jack, Check this out, the old lady did a lot better than you think.http://www.nampows.org/B-52.html
In 100 years of flight the BUFF has been around over 50 years with 30 more years to go before they retire.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:22:32 AM »
Many of the high time birds were retired to Arizona , and never saw any combat.
It is curious that not much is mentioned prior to 72 or the missions over Laos and in the South of Nam. :?

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »
Many of the high time birds were retired to Arizona , and never saw any combat.

Yea, that Chrome Dome flying pushed a lot of hours on a few, many of those retired without flying combat.  I consider that keeping airplanes in the air 24 hours a day to deter evil thoughts flying as in combat.  Sure, they didn't dodge any SAMs but they did keep us from speaking Russian...

It is curious that not much is mentioned prior to 72 or the missions over Laos and in the South of Nam. :?

You don't get a lot of losses when you are bombing the land on your side of the conflict.  Just the guys that have issues and crash.  When we decided to take the fight to them and stop waging a nice war, it came to a fairly rapid close. 

But this has strayed, nice pics  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:29:05 PM »
Howdy All, :-D

This one is of the famous and legendary Kenz and Leslie liner. 8-) I think it was probably 1955, but not certain. Check out the background. Sure looks like good salt! :roll:

Regards,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.