Author Topic: What changes have you made?  (Read 8063 times)

Offline isiahstites

What changes have you made?
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:45:30 PM »
Curious as to what changes everyone has made so far in the off season or plan to make prior to the racing season starting?

I am going to be making some chassis changes. I plan to stretch the frame and lower the front end and steering neck. If I am succesful in the completion of these items I will get rid of the existing controversial Yamaha gas tank as it keeps me in the wind. I will make a new one to go where ever I can find the space and add a fuel pump and regulator (thanks Kent) as I am assuming at this point it will be lower than the carb. Once all of this is complete I am going to see about finding a set of fairings from Kent.

I am going to be busy before everything gets kicked off in May. My goal for this year is 175mph!

Scott

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: What changes have you made?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »
....................mplete I am going to see about finding a set of fairings from Kent................Scott

I hear he doesn't get in until about 10 am or later.  Just go in before then and help yourself  8-) .

Sum

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:03:15 AM »
....................mplete I am going to see about finding a set of fairings from Kent................Scott

I hear he doesn't get in until about 10 am or later.  Just go in before then and help yourself  8-) .

Sum

Later is more like it.........I learned after two trips down there in the early morning I have a better chance of catching him at 2 A.M. rather 10 A.M. :-D

Scott

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:27:49 AM »

I am going to be busy before everything gets kicked off in May. My goal for this year is 175mph!

Scott
[/quot

An admirable goal, do you think it's realistic,,, maybe with a fairing... :-D

Good on ya mate,,, see ya in May

Larry

All in fun Scott, good luck to ya
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:40:29 AM by ol38y »
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:29:29 AM »

Scott
[/quot

An admirable goal, do you think it's realistic,,, maybe with a fairing... :-D

Good on ya mate,,, see ya in May

Larry

All in fun Scott, good luck to ya

With a fairing I think it's realistic, besides you have got to shoot for goal that is not exactly easily obtainable......there needs to be some sort of challenge!

Scott

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:06:11 AM »
Since I lost 2 more trailer tires on my November trip to El Mirage, I again purchased 4 new trailer tires. 10 ply this time. Now my 7000 pound trailer has over 11,400 punds of tire capacity up from 10,000. Since I'm allowed to store at work I now have it up on blocks...Fork lifts sure help. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline GH

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:20:55 AM »
Repaired the broken engine from the World Finals. Here's hoping I got the sticking exhaust valve problems solved. Still looking for that RED HAT.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 11:25:47 AM »
I experienced oil blow out through the breather on my dry sump tank. Cut the meet short for me following advise from friends who stated the fix couldn't be done down there. Been researching what I need to do for the fix. Running a three stage dry sump pump, one pressure, two suction. Been told the air created in the engine vacum had no where to go so it went out the breather tube filling the overflow tank and blowing out from there. Been told a couple of different fixes, just don't know which will cure the problem. Am changing the headers, going to tuck them in and maybe run an evac system to each collector. Changing out the rear end from a Ford 9" to a Winters quick change so I can get the gearing needed to attain the goal I have set for myself. Getting new Taylor wheels made for the 30" M/T's I overpaid for. Been told I need to enclose the rear of the car by some of the experts but will hold off on that until next year. Other than that no other changes for this year.
Dave Haller #93 A/FL

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 12:03:05 PM »
We are now having a few minor changes made to a completely new engine (modded GPS that is for our LED gear position indicator).

It was our intent to use a basically stock 1300cc busa motor as a test engine last year and we were going to use a 500+HP turbo busa this year. Because of our handling problem we could not get the motor over 6K in 6th (reds at 11) so we decided to postpone the turbo motor another year, but to put in a no compromises NA busa.

The new motor is 1507cc, billet crank, H-beam rods, Wards Performance big valve ported head…..The motor was dynoed at 250 rwhp on 98 oct. and should be stable to 300+ with a little spray.

We are also stretching the front to the class limit 130”, narrowing the front to the class limit, adding shoot, and another fire bottle (just because).

Keeping the green paint….it is my lucky color after all!
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
Changing the rear axle to 7.5 GM with 2.14 rear gears, replacing the Shorty 'Glide with a 400.  Atacking the 4" + "Scrub Radius" with new spindles, and some old Jeep wheels 16" wheels---if they can be made round enough. gpong back to solid on front and rear axles. Changing to nose shape and shortning the wheelbase to 190".  Will be changing the top of the car slightly.  Lowering the rear fin and fairing the axles.  WHEW---makes me tired just thinking about it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
JH,

Did you happen to plug these numbers into a spread sheet like on Sum's webpage? I would like to see a hard copy of 300 MPH on 250 HP.

DW

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »
DW,

I took the 300 to mean HP but I could be wrong.

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline promachine

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »
Well, the 811 fuel roadster is getting a new 44 amp msd mag and a 16 gal. pump,
We will try to finish the Leggit-Beck-Davidson blown fuel roadster to run this year.
As far as the street roadster goes, we will try to remove the imprint of a Int. Scout from the fronte of the car.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 08:43:23 PM »
Insert Quote
JH,

Did you happen to plug these numbers into a spread sheet like on Sum's webpage? I would like to see a hard copy of 300 MPH on 250 HP.

DW

DW,

I took the 300 to mean HP but I could be wrong.

Larry

I was meaning the motor should make 300HP....but I am fairly sure the car should do at least 400 mph with that.  :-D

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline jackson

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »
We decided the used ancient cam that we had purchased originally for a 406 inch small block was a little bit too much for our 283.  That cam was like a light switch.  Nothing, and at 6000 rpm it goes sideways.  The guys at Howard's cams will get all my business from now on.  I called all the other guys that were big players that I could find, and most of them made mad enough that I almost hung up on them.  I don't have the connections to get to the people that are knowledgeable with a tiny motor, but I was strongly disappointed with the big guy's advice.  Hopefully the new cam, 4-speed as opposed to 2-speed, and not having a wrist pin rubbing on the cylinder wall will get the Berkeley another 18.5 mph.  By the way, the blow-by was so bad that I got mad and ducted the valve cover breathers to hoses that went through the belly pan.  I hope nobody tried to follow that 30 degree left turn I laid with the oil trail at the 1-3/4 mile.  At least it is good to know that the arm restraints are just loose enough to correct for that.  Any more than that and I'm sure this pencil pusher wouldn't have saved it no matter how much arm movement I had! :-o