Author Topic: 2 part question, is this a good foundation to start with and  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: 2 part question, is this a good foundation to start with and
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »
That's what I thought, Dan.  First time I heard that phrase was when Sparky sat with Nancy and me and Russ and ordered "apple juice" -- and the waiter brought a plastic water tumbler full of this foam-topped liquid to the table.  I didn't know apple juice had a head on it. . .

Old apple juice does, let's move back to the tank, it's too big...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »
I just checked the 2007 runs of the No. 91 CG/L car and they are pretty impressiveSum is right that they ran a best of 270 and that is on a record of 272, so they are pretty close. The interesting thing is that the record holder, The Ravena Garage Sp, Charlie Markley is a "classic" lakester drop tank design and the No. 91 car is a FWD special design and it is pretty innovative. Great to see some new thinking. Now the thinking of doing a tank with FWD would really be something to see.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 11:46:05 AM »
So what have we learned from this ?

1. You want the weight bias to the front like an arrow.
2. A lot of pounds per square inch of contact patch is good on the salt.
3. Aero devices to provide download cost HP.
4. Pushing a rope is possible but you really have to keep everything really straight all the time.

Did i miss anything ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »
.............. Now the thinking of doing a tank with FWD would really be something to see...............Rex

This was posted here the other day.  More here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196718&highlight=front+drive+lakester

I'm not positive it will use a tank, but think it will.

I wish I could find a regular site for the car.  They are doing a nice job,

Sum  

Offline tortoise

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 12:34:12 PM »
So what have we learned from this ?

1. You want the weight bias to the front like an arrow.
2. A lot of pounds per square inch of contact patch is good on the salt.
3. Aero devices to provide download cost HP.
4. Pushing a rope is possible but you really have to keep everything really straight all the time.

Did i miss anything ?

Are any of the recently outlawed four wheel driver roadsters being converted to front drive?

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
I just checked the 2007 runs of the No. 91 CG/L car and they are pretty impressiveSum is right that they ran a best of 270 and that is on a record of 272, so they are pretty close. The interesting thing is that the record holder, The Ravena Garage Sp, Charlie Markley is a "classic" lakester drop tank design and the No. 91 car is a FWD special design and it is pretty innovative. Great to see some new thinking. Now the thinking of doing a tank with FWD would really be something to see.

Keep an eye on the "Saltosaurus", this thing will haul @ss.  Owner George Johnson (racergeo) is no newcomer to going fast, as he and his brother Mike sucessfully ran a Top Alcohol Dragster on the NHRA circuit for many years.

BTW, Charlie Markley's brother (and partner) - R. Gaines Markley - was the 1979 NHRA Top Fuel world champion.  Good to see so many ex-drag veterans making their way to the Dry Lakes.   

Nick 3rd.   
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline Chaz

• STRANGE DAYS GARAGE Satisfaction considered
    • Bellytank Build
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 10:43:01 PM »
 Hi. I'm new here, and am one of the four guys working on the front wheel drive bellytank shown in Sumners' reply.  If you have any questions I'll try to answer them as best I can. Needless to say this is our best idea of how to build a tank, but having never done this before we could be way off . If you'd like any info on the how and why, Ill try to the best of my ability to respond. We pack very little experience, but a moderate amount of ability I'm sure a lot of you here have more answers than I do.
                                                                          best, Chaz

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 12:02:15 AM »
Hi. I'm new here, and am one of the four guys working on the front wheel drive bellytank shown in Sumners' reply.  If you have any questions I'll try to answer them as best I can. Needless to say this is our best idea of how to build a tank, but having never done this before we could be way off . If you'd like any info on the how and why, Ill try to the best of my ability to respond. We pack very little experience, but a moderate amount of ability I'm sure a lot of you here have more answers than I do.
                                                                          best, Chaz

Welcome, so do you guys have a web site with pictures that I can put a link to??

If not why don't you start a thread on the "build section" on this site and post pictures.

To me it looks like you are really doing good work and I think we will see more front drive lakesters and streamliners.  It could have a lot going for it.  Any projected date of completion or are you like me and afraid of those  8-) .

c ya,

Sum

Offline Chaz

• STRANGE DAYS GARAGE Satisfaction considered
    • Bellytank Build
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »
Hey Sum. I'm putting together a site as per your inquiry. I'm a bit computer challenged, so it will be pretty rudimentary. and probably be the end of the week before its fully updated, but here's what I've got so far.    http://kaparich.homestead.com/Bellytank.html   I hope it opens for ya.
                                                                                       Chaz

Welcome, so do you guys have a web site with pictures that I can put a link to??

If not why don't you start a thread on the "build section" on this site and post pictures.

To me it looks like you are really doing good work and I think we will see more front drive lakesters and streamliners.  It could have a lot going for it.  Any projected date of completion or are you like me and afraid of those  8-) .

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:43:45 PM by Chaz »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
Hey Sum. I'm putting together a site as per your inquiry. I'm a bit computer challenged, so it will be pretty rudimentary. and probably be the end of the week before its fully updated, but here's what I've got so far.    http://kaparich.homestead.com/Bellytank.html   I hope it opens for ya.
                                                                                       Chaz

Hey good deal, I added it to my Bonneville links page:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillelinks.htm

I like the layout and what you are doing with the car.  My only comment might be to re-size the pictures (not physical size, but file size) so they would load faster for someone on dial-up.  80 dpi is usually fine for a picture that is viewed on the Internet.  Also when you get time maybe add an index page where people could jump right to a particular page, but for just getting started it looks real good and the pictures and text are good  :-) ,

Sum
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:18:10 PM by Sumner »

Offline 53sled

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »
I'm heading to utah, found a stash of "scrap" aluminum. I'll send the check to get a 2008 rulebook and get all joined up. I really hope it doesn't take 3 years to get done
and Sum, 72 ppi, pixels per inch in RGB is the web standard, dpi is dots per inch and is what scanners  :lol: "use", and lpi, lines per inch refers to resolution of printed material :?. Vector art is resolution independant :mrgreen:. I spent alot of beer money learning that.  :wink:
I'd really like to find a belly tank.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »
   Thanks to Nick3 and Sum for kind words on my #91 lakester. I went as nick's guest to WF in 96 to my first LSR event. I really enjoyed it.  Bought a Studie but it came out so straight and rust free, could't bring my self to race it! Built a Jr fueler and then realized I was getting to old to chase all over to Goodguys events. Sold it and determined to become a LSR'er. I have hundreds of mag articals from the 50's till current on the cars and personalities. A few years ago I took a suit case full of Bonneville racing News a dozen Hotrods and two books on aereodynamics and went to 'Stralier for a month to visit my daughter.  I was most influenced by a Hotrod article about Jim Fueling. I drew out some top and side views of the car and came home and built it about 90% as I planned. I originally was going to run in Fclass with a 180 in Pontiac SD 4 cyl [that is 4 sale]. Somewhere along the line my goal became 300mph and I decided to go for it! Soon I had a bbc engine in the car but soon realized I first had to get some licenses. So in went a de-tuned licensing motor. That right, I honestly believe that If I stayed in "C' I could get that record to about 285 on a good track. A  "B" class bbc is going in this winter and somewhere down the line I hope to Get the Seth Hammond B/FL record, If someone  else doesn't beat me to it.
      The journey hasn't been without a few pitfalls, as I have the distinction of having been politely tagged  by Lee Kennedy at all three events I have attended. My first run down the track in 2006 netted me a record 224mph "first' run and when I did it again two runs later I was on my way home. At Speed Week this year I hit the 4 mile marker after blowing a tire and the resultant spin damaged my car and lead to the second entry in my log. However that run convinced me to go to WF's as I was over the record with a mile to go! And even at WF's on my back up run I lifted at 4 1/2 mile cause I hit the maker and steered back on course and still got record, but chutes didn't come out and Lee sent me home! Car now has nose pushed in about 6inches. Basic problem is one of visibility issues. Front wheel drive requires air scoop in my line of sight and at world finals they didn't put down the black lines and I couldn't hardly tell wear I was with wheel spin and side winds I was quessing. Actually had a panic attack (first time ever in 50 years of racing) oh, I been scared but at least I could see!
     I am now convinced that my basic platform works and the 30 some changes I have already made are successful. I am now going to try to refine my car with smoother fiberglass panels and improve the aero in a few areas. Thankfully a freind from HSkool is a fiberglass guy. I also have a plan to eliminate the hood scoop. That should make it a little less scary to drive. lol The last thing Lee Kennedy said to me was "George we got to quit meeting like this". Amen