Author Topic: Summers Brother's Golden Rod restoration:  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Summers Brother's Golden Rod restoration:
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:27:36 AM »
If you haven't seen the new November issue if HOT ROD you need to buy it. They did an eight page spread on the restored Summers Brothers car. I would like to personally thank Mike Cook for doing a truly outstanding job on the restoration and also HOT ROD for running such a great article on a car that is a landracing mile stone. It is truely an engineering marvel, the packaging, the design the adhearence to having the very best aerodynamic design. What a tribute to Bob Summers and his engineering and fabrication ability. What a beautiful car.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Summers Brother's Golden Rod restoration:
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
Great article, fantastic car, the engineering for the time is amazing.
I was lucky enough to see some of the restoration progress.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 02:00:05 PM »
Last time I saw the Goldenrod was in the Bonneville Museum in Wendover, I believe it was in it's original patina at the time, no motors was my guess, I'll look for the pictures...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »
Anyone know what happened to the museum?
Later Rocket
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 02:42:14 PM »
It's a NAPA store

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »
  Wow! Great article. That is an amazing car. I sure would enjoy a close look with the panels off. Not much you can see about a car in a museum setting. Oh well the main thing is that is was saved and will be around long after I am gone.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 11:25:07 PM »
I reproduced the motor plates and bulkheads for the restoration. It was an honor to be able to work on a piece of history.The car is a work of art. It is hard to believe Summers bros made it in such a short time.
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:38:53 PM »
Drove by the site of the fruit stand where the car was built just last week on my way to Aluminart metal processing.

Amazing story of the car- and Bob and Bill were "just kids" when the Goldenrod and the earlier 300 mph Tadpole were built.

The car was never shifted into fifth (high) gear on its record runs, as I recall.

The restoration crew should be congratulated for its work and its now in the Henry Ford Museum for perpetuity. At least as we know it.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline AJR192

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »
My dad and I had the great privledge and honor of being invited to the 25th anniversary of the record in 1990. It was one of the biggest highlights of my life. We got to Ontario and went directly to Bill's house. The Goldenrod sat on the street in front of his house, under it's cover on the trailer. Bill asked me to help him clean up the car and how could I refuse. So, we pulled off the cover and there the car sat, in it's red white and blue paint job. As we worked on washing the car, some young boys rode up on thier bikes. One asked me if the car was a rocket or an airplane. He also said that the car had sat there for quite a few months and they never knew what it was. Quite an honor for a then 17 year old high school senior and his dad to be invited to spend a wonderful few days in the company of absolute legends.

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 08:14:23 AM »
I just got my copy of Hot Rod and everytime I see that car it impresses me.  It looks like it should be running today on the Salt.  I sure am glad that it was restored and looks like they did a great job on it.  Bster

Offline mkilger

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:59:36 AM »
Bob was a great craftsmen, I got to help Mike Cook with some of the body panels  that were eaten up by the salt over the years. It was a great honor to do so. Mike and his group did a great job.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 11:43:50 AM »
There is a great picture in the gallery. I transferred it to my background on my PC at work. When I fire up the computer each morning to get started on who knows what, the day starts on an up note looking at that beautiful car I remember from the 60's. It has always been legendary to me and it gives me great pleasure to know my friend Mike Cook and his cousin Captain Billy had a part in the restoration.
Dave Haller #93

roadtrip

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 09:25:53 PM »
Talk about an LSR icon .......... Goldenrod is gorgeous from any angle.
In the mid 90's I was in LA for another event and stumbled on to a GoodGuys show at the Fairplex.
Goldenrod was there as part of an SCTA display, on an open trailer and very accessible. Some of the body panels were off, and as good as it looked from a distance, it was ..... hmmmm .... 'rough'.
It was just out of storage and still had leaves, twigs and seeds inside around the engines and stuff.  This latest restoration is outstanding. Compliments to all who had a part of it.
Oh, compliments to Hot Rod magazine too ...... for getting back to being a hot rod magazine.
DS   

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 11:46:06 PM »
Some years ago I was driving through Fontana and I saw the Goldenrod sitting on a trailer in a field of chest high weeds.  I thought, man that can't be the final resting spot for such a famous car.  I was very fortunate to see it at Mike Cook's and get a detailed look at the damage that time and salt had inflicted.  I was also able to see the fantastic work Mike /cook and his crew were doing.  I didn't get to see the final result so I'll have to pick up a copy of HRM.  My hat is off to Mike Cook and all those who worked on saving a vital peice of our history.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 11:09:29 AM »
Does anyone know if there are any old magazine or published info on the original building of the Golden Rod. I think that an old friend of mine, Don Borth, did a lot of the aluminum work but it would sure be great to see some of the original construction pictures of the car.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.