Author Topic: Salt condition  (Read 3207 times)

Offline JimW

Salt condition
« on: September 10, 2007, 09:32:12 PM »
I know it's a bit late, but what is the condition of the salt at Bonneville for the USFRA meet?  Last I heard, BUB was mushy and badly rutted. 

Have conditions improved markedly?

Thanks,
Jim.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Salt condition
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »
Jim
There is a report on this site cover page
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JimW

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 09:43:02 PM »
Yes, but it just says 7 miles of good salt.  (I seem to remember a BUB report that said about the same thing, but reports from the racers or people on site told a different story.)  Have you heard anything from Wendover?

Living vicariously is a bear.

Thanks,
Jim.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:46:35 PM »
Yes, but it just says 7 miles of good salt.  (I seem to remember a BUB report that said about the same thing, but reports from the racers or people on site told a different story.)  Have you heard anything from Wendover?

Living vicariously is a bear.

Thanks,
Jim.

I've wondered also since they say they will run Speed Week Course 1 and in our estimation course 1 wasn't as good on Thurs./Fri. as it was the previous Sat..

Unless the whole course went under water can it "heal itself" since then to now, or did course 1 just seem to be bad to us at the end of the week?? 

I'm interested in some others inputs that ran course 1 from day one to the end of Speed Week.  We are still trying to sort out our handling problems that we had at the end of the week that weren't there on the previous Sat..

And lastly does anyone have any idea what area will be used at World Finals??

Thanks for any input,

Sum

Blue

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »
Anywhere, as long as it's not where they buried the RV and 3 tow vehicles...

Those trenches will take a long time to heal since the salt is now diluted with 4 or 5 feet of mud.  Salt restoration?  Looks about 1 to 2" thick.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:23:14 AM »
This is NOT OFFICIAL but what I have been told. USFRA will be using course 2 from Speedweed. The salt is in about the same condition as at the beginning of speedweek. SCTA and USFRA will usually report the condition of 7 miles because that is what a standard course for those meets are set up for. 2 miles of approach and 3 timed miles in both directions. What I was told about beyond the 7 is the same as speedweek, it starts to get bumpy and further down gets bumpy and soft.
I am leaving for the salt Thursday afternoon so if you need anything out of salt lake for Friday find Larry Volk on the salt and he will give me a call.

Go fast and be safe,

Dallas
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 11:14:01 AM by DallasV »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:32:01 AM »
This is NOT OFFICIAL but what I have been told. USFRA will be using course 2 from Speedweed. The salt is in about the same condition as at the beginning of speedweek. SCTA and USFRA will usually report the condition of 7 miles because that is what a standard course for those meets are set up for. 2 miles of approach and 3 timed miles in both directions. What I was told about beyond the 7 is the same as speedweek, it starts to get bumpy and further down gets bumpy and soft.
I am leaving for the salt Thursday afternoon so if you need anything out of salt lake for Friday find Larry Volk on the salt and he sill give me a call.

Go fast and be safe,

Dallas

Thanks Dallas, I guess if they use Course 2 they could return on the west side if it and maybe avoid the tow truck fiasco :roll:.

We only made one run on that course and it was our "run out of gas" run, so we don't know much about it.  I'm still interested in any one's impressions of course 1 from the beginning of the week to the end.

c ya,

Sum

Offline GH

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 10:50:17 AM »
Sum, I ran on course #1, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday AM. I found it to be rutted and soft for about 2 miles then it got real good for me. I had no problems at all with the car except engine problems. Cya

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 11:30:14 AM »
We ran the little car every day on course 1, including three runs on Thurs. We camped right on the edge of the course each time and it seemed to be fine after the first half mile. Not real fast at 220 but was enough to tell the course seemed to be fine, at least for us with that car.