Author Topic: World Finals preparation, registration, first timer  (Read 6200 times)

Offline sabat

World Finals preparation, registration, first timer
« on: August 27, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »
I've decided to trek out to Utah for the first time (from Florida) for the World Finals. I joined the BNI earlier in the year, I have an ECTA number and a B license, and I've chosen the class I want to race in, and perhaps a second class with the addition of a bottle. I've read the rules and think I am set to go, haven't had any tech issues at my first 2 LSR events at Maxton this year. My Vanson leathers will need to have patches sewn behind the knees.

I've read the helpful "Bonneville Hints" - http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78

I'd like to get any advice on how to prepare, what to bring, anything you folks think is worth telling me. I'm going to rent a minivan and be my own crew, and sleep at the 'Bend in the Road'. Is there cell signal out there?

Importantly, is pre-registration open? I can't find it on the SCTA site.

Thanks,
Dean

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
Re: World Finals preparation, registration, first timer
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:14:29 PM »
One thing that is different is being on the salt - I haven't looked at the helpful hints - but bring tarps and a good broom.  It will make wrenching a lot easier.  (Plus you'll need a tarp for impound.)

Offline sabat

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:45:22 PM »
Got the tarp, the broom is an excellent idea.

What's this 'salt-away' liquid I've seen in posts? Something you mix yourself, or buy?

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »
Salt- away, Salt-X are concentrates you get at the Boat Store that you mix into your Garden Sprayer, that thing you spray insecticide with, and keep handy to spray off your mini-van, race vehicle, trailer etc... to keep the "Bonneville Loctite" from setting up.
The SCTA site has the World Finals Info up on the Bonneville page

Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline sabat

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 03:14:45 PM »
Thanks, I just needed to click on the correct word, found the forms. Also for the Salt-X info, I'll get some.

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »
One thing that is different is being on the salt - I haven't looked at the helpful hints - but bring tarps and a good broom.  It will make wrenching a lot easier.  (Plus you'll need a tarp for impound.)

We also prep our chase truck before we leave home - put down heavy cardboard and tape the edges so no salt gets ground into the carpet.  Makes a big difference when cleaning up afterwards.

Offline sabat

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 04:54:10 PM »
Thanks, good tip. After some more reading I think I'll camp at the KOA, showers will be veddy nice.

Can anyone guess at the density altitude in October?

Offline MadDuck

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »
Pre-registration is up on the SCTA site.  Clic on Bonneville on right hand side then 2007 stuff on Bonne home page.  Forms in by Sept 15th for discount.

Best of luck
Fly on RI Rocket #27

Offline sabat

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
Got it, just need the code from my rulebook at home.

Just figured out my costs, egads.  Anyone coming from the Southeast looking for a passenger with cycle, share costs, driving?

Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »
Well -- here's my third try at posting this . . .

Here are the density altitudes from my charts.  I don't know the times of day.  Hope this helps.

2002 -- 5163 and 4365
2003 -- 4099 and 4040
2004 -- 4833 and 4700

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline sabat

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 05:57:36 PM »
Thanks, that's great info, I love data. -Dean

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:22:59 PM »
One you will really enjoy (er...uhh... oh yeah, that's right...you're from Florida) well, anyway I enjoy it, is that I frequently put on my firesuit in the hotel room and wear it all day.  It does tend to be a tad chilly in October.  Or course it just makes your N/A rides go that much faster.  It also helps because with the lower attendence, usually something like 100 cars, you may find yourself doing "laps" and not having enough time between runs to cool the car down.

Oh yeah, and you can get a hotel room (or KOA spot) too!  Some runs may find you running in the rain, however.

But... all in all, I prefer World Finals for making speed.

Keep the shiny side up,

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 10:48:49 PM »
18" rubber boots are nice for loading everything up on the last day after it rains.

As for the inside of your truck/van I like 3" clear packaging tape for all of the edges and the pedals (remember those too). Don't use duct tape unless you want a lot of clean up of adhesive. Cover all the slots between the rubber and the sill.
wwwautoanything.com has great mud mats for the interior that the tape doesn't cover. you can dump them easily every day. That's from Mark Johnson.

As you get in your race vehicle stand onto a piece of carpet/door mat with holes or something and have whose ever helping you clean off your boots/shoes with a plastic whisk broom, keeps the interior of the compartment clean.

Bring jackets for the morning..it's cold ..............................good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline sabat

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 12:17:24 AM »
Cool weather sounds great, and it looks like I will be spending near as much time getting my transport vehicle ready as the bike. Clear tape, cardboard, wellies, check.

From the way you guys talk, I'm thinking I should almost count on rain? 

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 08:24:02 AM »
2005, the World Finals was an excellent meet. The "World's Fastest Indian" was filming a couple of miles away. We left early AM, like 3 or so, the motor home I was driving was moving all over the road at the top of White Horse Pass. I suspected wind but could not see bushes moving at the roadside, too dark.

Do some research here and jalopyjournal.com - BIG, BIG rainstorm. The film set blew over a 4 mile area. I didn't envy the crew cleaning up that mess in several inches of water.

DW