Author Topic: Unsportsmanlike conduct at speedweek  (Read 16862 times)

racin jason

Unsportsmanlike conduct at speedweek
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:11:11 PM »
Does anyone here have firsthand knowledge of what happened on the startingline on friday at speedweek between a privateer motorcycle rider preparing to run and a factory team?
I have heard that there was some seriously unsportsmanlike verbal exchanges in an effort to intimidate the rider but nothing has been confirmed. I also witnessed some suspicious damage in the impound to the same rider's trailer. I hope this is not true but i think this may need to be dealt with by the board under section   1.L participant conduct.
It looks to me like a David versus Goliath story. i think David won this one and went home with the record!

Offline Freud

Re: Unsportsmanlike conduct at speedweek
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
i was told the privateer packed up and went home.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »
i wouldn't call the MV team Goliath but one of the team thugs did threaten to bet the Suzuki boy....as i heard it myself...
kent

racin jason

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »
Bet or beat Kent?
Compared to the Suzuki of Parker the MV team's three factory prepared bikes and crew of ten was a well funded effort.
Randall Parker showed up with a $10,000 motorcycle on a rusty open trailer and beat the MV factory team fair and square. I guess i would be upset if my marketing plan just went up in smoke!!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:15:24 PM »
i meant to spell beat..... my guy dusty was a 1/2 mph behind the brits kr1 all week with my aprilia.... it was the funnest battle... Marks trash talkin 13 year old daughter would come over and bust dustys balls after every pass... there was some discussion about putting her in the trash can but when this cute little girl starts talkin in that brit slang you just had to bite your lip...... the MV guy's know what happened and and probably wont bring that crew member back again... this deal will police itself..
kr

racin jason

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:23:25 PM »
That makes more sense than what i heard Kent. I have a feeling the Italians will take care of their problem internally.

Congrats to Randall for not falling for the bait and getting the job done.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:45:21 PM »
As the Italians are often heard to say, " Tonight he sleeps with the fishes." :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »
If and when the MV crew decides to race the BUB ...........they better be on their best behavior.....
.....Denis Manning has Ramsey to resolve these kind of problems, and he does not take prisoners.

Offline t russell

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »
Sounds like dirt track racing to me :wink:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:09:03 PM »
If and when the MV crew decides to race the BUB ...........they better be on their best behavior.....
.....Denis Manning has Ramsey to resolve these kind of problems, and he does not take prisoners.

Is that the guy who patrols the flagging??

Sum

Offline WildBro

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:57:23 PM »
?? ?? ??
I heard it was the other way around.  The Suzuki guy started mouthing off and giving the MV guys the finger.  I was not there to see this, but my crew chief did say he was just looking at the Suzuki on the trailer earlier in the week and the guy started talking shit at him.  Jerry just laughed at him and walked away.
As long as they kept it between themselves I really don't care.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline wheelspin

• http://www.alchemymotorsports.net
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 02:41:03 AM »
Competition can sometimes get intense and I am sure there are several sides to the story. What is impressive to me is that there were two teams, one factory, one privateer, who let it all hang out and raced for their record. There is no other place in the world where a privateer can race against the money... and win. The speeds produced by these two teams are remarkable, the records now concrete. I could only hope to participate in such an intense battle in such a true and honest playing field. Major kudos to the Parker team. This is what Bonneville is about.
Nathan

aswracing

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
Yeah, when people are working hard and trying hard, they can go off easily. It almost takes a conscious effort by me to not try too hard, to maintain some degree of balance, while I'm out there. It's getting easier for me as the years go on, I'm taking it all less and less seriously.

I had one bad incident last year with that flag walker guy Sumner mentioned. I was pushing the bike to impound for a tear-down. The bodywork was off already, the bike didn't appear complete at all. I had to go past the staging lines on my way, and when I go within about 50 feet of them, Mr. flag cop starts hollering at me asking whether I was long or short or RWB. I was panting and didn't want to yell back so I waited until I got up to him, then said "impound" as I pushed it by him. Well, then he thought it was his job to tell me where impound was, and he runs in front of me and points to where everyone is staged for backup runs.

I ignored him and turned the bike into the tear-down area where we already had our tarp and tools set up, parked it, and started focusing on the task at hand. He came over to me and started chewing me out for not following his directions. I tried to explain to him that he was trying to send me to the wrong place and I knew where I was going and didn't need his help. He kept bitching at me, I got pissed, and gave him a royal ass chewing and told him where he could go. He threatened to have me thrown out, I told him to have it it just get the Fiat out of my face. Nothing ever came of it, though. That asshole better just stay away from me this year. He was entirely too full of himself, thought that special "security" pass made him some kind of a god.

We're all there to have a good time. People will, by and large, follow directions and cooperate when they're asked, I think very few people intentionally want to cause issues. Officials should assume as much and treat the racers properly. And 99.9% do. That guy has no business being there.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:33:04 AM by aswracing »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
Hope the GSXR took the record, the MV was and is running without the back fender courtesy of the BNI board.  The MV parts book clearly shows 2 part numbers one for a fender, one for a license plate bracket.  That info was provided last year and the GSXR guy brought the same info this year.  The MV is not running legally in production class.
Obviously just my opinion, not necessarily that of the staff and management...  :x
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline thawley

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 10:43:02 AM »
He kept bitching at me, I got pissed, and gave him a royal ass chewing and told him where he could go. He threatened to have me thrown out... He was entirely too full of himself, thought that special "security" pass made him some kind of a god.
I've seen less of that sort of thing at Bonneville than just about every other form of motorsport combined.  Sounds like found a rare exception. 
E. John Thawley III
2 Club member/water polo dad