Author Topic: A few thoughts on visibility...  (Read 3982 times)

Offline overboost

• New folks
A few thoughts on visibility...
« on: July 31, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »
My "Big Tube" arrived this morning and after reading the news and looking at the course(s) layout I thought that I might share this with you.  If I am covering old ground, I apologize.  Last year while, sitting on my bike on the short course return road, somewhere just north of the 3, I had another competitor's tow vehicle pass within 150 feet of me without (apparently) seeing me.  They were looking so far down range that I was completely off the scope.  This caused me to rethink my situation.  For years I have carried cheap, but highly reflective, highway and emergency workers' vests in my trucks and in my tank-bag as a "just in case I break down in the rain" safety item.  These vests are very light, maybe 3ozs, very colorful and fold up to a small square inside a jacket or fire suit.  So, my vest is in the pocket of my leathers ready to be pulled and waved at someone that I perceive to not see me.  While sitting on the return road I am now very aware of what's behind me and what's in front of me......Here's to Dry Salt....Lynn
2005 Hayabusa....small mods...MPS-BG 1209B...
Lynn Stubblefield, Nashville, TN

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: A few thoughts on visibility...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:12:54 PM »
As long as humans will be human, you are going to have visibility and attention span limits regardless of the long standing experience you think they have.
Anything you can do to make it easier for them will make it easier for you and everybody else.
In the end, we all deserve each other and it is up to you to at least keep up and maybe even lead.
Matured bikers develop a defensive posture that should be a lesson for others also :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 02:05:03 PM »
The closest call I ever had was when we were pushing back on the return road. We were doing about 45 mph and a car coming down the return road almost ran into me head on. I had to take evasive active to avoid a collision. Picture doing that in a 'liner, not a pretty picture.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:00:35 AM »
just like flying... we use everyone in the vehicle as lookouts / spotters.  It is way to easy for one person to get distracted and miss something  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:13:08 PM »
One suggestion would be to stay close to the cone line on the return road. At least drivers coming the other way should be looking there as a point of reference.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:51:08 PM »
Cain't speak too much about the M/C's as most have a plan for getting back; but if possible 4 wheelers should figure a out a way to tow their vehicles to impounds, pits or back in line.

I have found that someone sitting a race car (normally not the driver but someones kid) getting plummeted by salt from the front tires and not sure where they are going can cause major problems. With no one in the car and every one in the push vehicle calmer minds seem to lead the way especially around the starting line area. You will see many types of bar arrangements and all are safer than pushing.

A set of mud flaps on the truck is nice too and cover over an open cockpit.....Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »
.......................... You will see many types of bar arrangements and all are safer than pushing....................

Yep, we are going back to towing this year.  Just made a new tow bar the other day.  Much safer!!  We will still push the car off the line though,

Sum

Offline overboost

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 09:54:46 PM »
.......................... You will see many types of bar arrangements and all are safer than pushing....................

Yep, we are going back to towing this year.  Just made a new tow bar the other day.  Much safer!!  We will still push the car off the line though,

Sum

Is it OK to tow a bike with another bike on the return road?  Not tied together but with each end wrapped around a grip and held...I could not find it addressed in The Rule Book...Lynn

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »
Towing a bike with a hand-held rope at the tow-ee end is not prohibited -- but, as someone that's done it, I sure don't encourage it.  Others do it regularly -- I won't again.  And this was on the EX250 Turbo bike -- I hate to think of trying it on something that weighs more than 300#.

Stability is a bugger -- because it's virtually impossible to keep a constant amount of tension in the rope, so you have little tugs and jerks frequently.  And since you don't want the handlebars to jerk -- therefore steering the bike -- you must hold onto the rope with your hand NOT ON THE BARS so you can counteract these tugs.  Boyoboy, will your hand/arm get tired quickly.  Worse still is when there's a bit of slack in the line so you try to pull it in -- and then there's a tug so your hand gets yanked away from you and you try to release the tension slowly but before you get done the driver ahead sees the slack and gives the tow vehicle a bit of throttle and he takes off and now you're trying to catch up with only your arm as a shock absorber so you have to let go...

Also -- trying to tie the rope to the steering head (for instance) will allow some jerks and tugs that make the bike hard to control, so I don't suggest that, either.

Once was enough for me.  Let's see -- it was from pits to staging line -- maybe two miles.  Try it from the six mile back to the pits?  Heck no!

If you have the opportunity, build and use one of these rigs.  If you don't have a proper tow vehicle -- well, do what you've gotta do.  Best wishes.  Oh, yeah -- if you tow by your suggested rope-in-hand method -- at least wear a good glove on the hand.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline overboost

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 10:23:57 AM »
Thanks for the answer SSS......we have built a front wheel lift/carrier, and painted it International Orange, that fits into the hitch receiver for normal bike recovery, I was just running "what if" scenarios through my head...I like that small trailer idea of yours very much...If you don't mind, I would like to take some detail pictures of it next week...wow!..next week....