Author Topic: Final Prep = Could use some advise  (Read 2296 times)

Offline kspz3

• http://www.vrodracing.com
Final Prep = Could use some advise
« on: July 29, 2007, 10:55:39 PM »
I am doing my final prep for Bonneville Bub Event and was hoping I could get some advise.

Tarps are required in the pits = any advise on where to get one and what type to get. I have a 10x10 canopy - what size would be recommended. Any advise on how to secure canopy and tarp.

Fuel - I will be running a ZX14 - stock engine. Any advise on how much fuel will be consumed over the entire event - I am guessing that 15 runs would be great and 20 max possible under the best conditions - Is that reasonable.

I will be bringing an extra set of wheels and with tires mounted - used up about 50% of the tread. Should I bring an additional set of spare tires. - I am running Brigstone Battle Ax = Race street compound on the bike and just street compound on the extra wheels.

Will anyone have a mechanic available that could be hired in the event of repair work needed at the event = I know that is a strange question - but also know my own limits.

Do folks generally go through chains - I have a EK best non=oring on the bikke and will have their best racing xring spare.

Any advise on how to treat the bike in final set-up to minimize salt corrosion.

Will I need to clean the chain between runs or during the event as a result of the salt?

Any advise on air cleaners - What is the impact of running without one - any thoughts on a racing foam verse paper. I currently am running the racing foam without oil - to keep big things out of the engine - I also have removed the screen in the ram air.

Any thoughts on Octane requirements - I know that Octane requirements generally are reduced with elevation but increase with heat - any rules of thumb?

Any other useful thoughts that require attention in final prep would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Larry Forstall

Re: Final Prep = Could use some advise
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:29:09 PM »
Kevin: Use an inexpensive tarp from a home improvement store. 12'x12' should be big enough. You will probably throw it out after the meet. 90 Octane is all you need for that bike and if you are running the stock exhaust it should be unleaded to protect the catalizers. 5 gal. is plenty . You must purchase fuel from the event vendor ERC. You will not wear the tires but in the rare case of a puncture, a spare will keep you racing. The stock engine is bulletproof as long as it has clean oil. Your air cleaner setup should be fine with no performance loss or damage. Don't worry about a mechanic. Spray the chain with WD-40 or similar and the use chain lube after each run. Still will rust on your way home.  :-D Wax every surface on the bike especially ferrous parts. Then wax it again. Enjoy your time on the Salt. Lots of nice people and an experience you will never forget. Good Luck.

Offline kspz3

• http://www.vrodracing.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:02:21 AM »
Kevin: Use an inexpensive tarp from a home improvement store. 12'x12' should be big enough. You will probably throw it out after the meet. 90 Octane is all you need for that bike and if you are running the stock exhaust it should be unleaded to protect the catalizers. 5 gal. is plenty . You must purchase fuel from the event vendor ERC. You will not wear the tires but in the rare case of a puncture, a spare will keep you racing. The stock engine is bulletproof as long as it has clean oil. Your air cleaner setup should be fine with no performance loss or damage. Don't worry about a mechanic. Spray the chain with WD-40 or similar and the use chain lube after each run. Still will rust on your way home.  :-D Wax every surface on the bike especially ferrous parts. Then wax it again. Enjoy your time on the Salt. Lots of nice people and an experience you will never forget. Good Luck.

Larry,
I am planning on running VP - MR10 in the Fuel Class and Event fuel in the Gas Class. I will change the oil - running synthetic. Do you spray the parts with anything like s1000 product....
Kevin

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 12:09:37 AM »
I have used a product called Salt-Away for years going to Bonneville and it works very well. They are based in Socal.
http://www.salt-away.com/
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »
Kevin: S100 has an anti-corrosion product that works. And it smells so nice.  :lol:  I use Salt-Away on the truck as it is mixed with water for application to cover large areas. Your best hope for the tow vehicle is a heavy thunderstorm on the way home. A lawn sprinkler placed under the vehicle for an afternoon is good.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 10:14:47 AM »
You can run VP, but it works better if we support ERC for the effort to bring fuel to the salt for us.

Salt in engine = Spark plug death, among other things. If the intake is anywhere near the front wheel you are going to get salt. If it's on the other side of the engine, you still might get salt.

When Larry said don't worry about a mechanic, what he means is that a dozen people will help you if you need help. Help is no problem, spare parts you can't count on. There might be someone with spares, but within your budget you should bring what you can.

15 runs sounds nice, but what if it breaks on the first run? That's a long drive for nothing. Bring every possible spare part, every tool you own, the kitchen sink . . .
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.