Author Topic: HOW MUCH RAIN IS THERE AT BONNEVILLE?  (Read 32739 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: HOW MUCH RAIN IS THERE AT BONNEVILLE?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »
It's the rain running off the mountains which causes problems. I wouldn't start worrying until the 10th or 11th and then It might be too late. Think of how disappointed the hotels will be................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline tethercarguy

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 08:58:25 PM »
A HUGE thanks to everyone for the info. I went to Bonneville 2 years ago from So. Cal and found it flooded. BUMMER!!!  I looked at the SCTA site before I left  two years ago and didn't see anything about the conditions, so I went. This forum is very helpful. I've never seen the cars run at Bonneville but I do make it to El Mirage 2-3 times a years. I have my flight booked and motel reserved for Speed Week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for the updated info on the course conditions!!!

landracing

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 02:09:13 AM »
Read current update on the main page of website, as of August 2, 2007.

Jon

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »

Jon

Having never been there, I don't want to assume anything, but this doesn't sound good! 

When will the final call be announced whether it's canceled due to weather or is still on?

Some of us have plane tickets we'll need to change to drier sunnier locations if it's canceled :)

Offline ack

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
One of our crew just called.  They are on their way to Sturgis.   They report standing water on both sides of the road from wells to Salt Lake.  Looking from the highway Bonneville is solid water.

landracing

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 12:47:02 PM »

Jon

Having never been there, I don't want to assume anything, but this doesn't sound good! 

When will the final call be announced whether it's canceled due to weather or is still on?

Some of us have plane tickets we'll need to change to drier sunnier locations if it's canceled :)

Sockjon,

I feel your pain, but the honest answer is there are 520+ Bonneville Entries who have prepared all year, spents thousands and thousands of dollars who will be waiting just like you with your $400 plane ticket. Be patient when the call comes, it comes, it may not be until the day before racing, so hold on we are all awaiting the word.

Jon

Offline desotoman

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »
Don't Panic!

Back in the mid to late 1980' (as I remember) my brother and I decided to go to Bonneville and watch the races. We would get up early and go watch the record runs leave around 10:30 and return about 4 pm and stay until Al Teague would make a sunset pass.

One day we were back at the Hotel and it was early afternoon. All of a sudden I hear all kinds of racket going on outside. I go to the window and see Hail about the size of Jumbo marbles falling out of the sky. After 10 minutes it looked like Snow lining the streets.

We decide to head out to the track and see what it is like out there. As soon as we get on the salt it is about 4" deep in water already. We go toward the pits about a half mile and it is not getting any better so we turn around and go back to the hotel. Latter that night we talked with many racers and they said it did not look good, so we decided to come on home.

Then next day the winds came up and blew the water to Salt Lake City and the following day they were able to resume the racing. If I were a betting man I would have lost a bundle of money as I thought no way will they be able to continue racing.

In this case Mother Nature was our best friend.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 02:13:44 PM »
A MUD REPORT is also critical to the squatters who intend to inhabit Dead Man's Corner campgrounds.
It may even affect Salt Talks.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 02:44:53 PM »
A MUD REPORT is also critical to the squatters who intend to inhabit Dead Man's Corner campgrounds.
It may even affect Salt Talks.
FREUD
For what we got the road.......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 02:45:32 PM »
LATEST MUD REPORT JUST IN ! :wink:

YES
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline tethercarguy

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »
According to www.weather.com it looks like there's a good chance it'll be dry for the next week. From some of the previous posts, it sounds as though the course dries out fairly fast. All in all, things are sounding optimistic to me. Glass half full, I'll take it.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 03:39:01 PM »
Is the glass half full, half empty, or just too big of a glass?

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 03:42:02 PM »
According to several seasoned salt flat veterans I have shared info with over the past few years, if the weather is right, temperature up and wind blowing the liquid could evaporate up to an inch an hour. Keep the faith folks, we still have a chance,
Dave Haller #93

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 03:53:41 PM »
It never evaporates at the rate of 1 inch and hour but moves around with the wind at that rate and can come back at the same rate.
If the water table is low it can help, but remember evaporation always comes back someplace as more water.
The rain over the mountains nearby is a particular problem because it washes down the silt that displaces the salt and forms in layers.
The natural seasonal cycle forces the good salt to the top and the mud down.
Violate nature and you compromise the natural healing that makes it better for LSR. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline thawley

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 06:37:40 PM »
Nothing is too weird to have not happened at Bonneville.
Amen.
E. John Thawley III
2 Club member/water polo dad