Author Topic: When someone passes away  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
When someone passes away
« on: July 27, 2007, 04:00:34 PM »
 :-( A few months ago someone wrote a fairly detailed list of the things that would need to be done by the surviving family members after someone passes away. I would like to find that list but I am afraid that it isn't on my computer anymore since the darn thing crashed. You see, my mom passed away last week after a lengthy illness and I don't want to forget any of the details that need to be addressed now and later. Thanks for your kind support.

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: When someone passes away
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 04:05:38 PM »
That was posted by Keith Turk. I'm sure it's in the archives, or Keith can repost it.
Very sorry for you're loss.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Greyboy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:18:24 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss...

I know one thing ::: get lots of copies of her death certificate. They are cheapest and easiest to get at this point, and you'll need one for every bank, insurance company, broker, mortgage company etc. etc. that her name was associated with. I've heard get 15 or so, but someone correct me if you know different. In our state (Hawaii) it's more expensive and time-consuming to get them later...

Best,

Grey

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
Sorry to hear that!

I was executor for my mothers estate, so I understand where you are coming from.
The best solution in some respects is find a lawyer that is familiar with probate cases and let him handle lots of the details.
The desirability of that solution depends on how complex her estate is, and if she had a will.

You will want to make a list of all the businesses and institutions that she did business with.
Going through old mail for bills, and thumbing through credit card bills and check book will point you at a lot of things that you may not even know about like storage units, safe deposit boxes etc.

Some of the technicalities will depend on local law and business policies of banks and such.
Call her bank and sit down with an officer for an hour or so and they can help you with printouts of her checking/deposit transactions and list of her accounts and if she had a safety deposit box at her main bank.

Some people have legacy services at banks they no longer keep active accounts at so sometimes you will hear of people finding out a safety deposit box that has been in use for 20 -30 years at a distant bank exists,

It can also help to play 20 questions with her very close friends and relatives as sometimes things like special insurance policies, or property might crop up. It all depends on how she was  inclined to take care of her personal affairs.

You will also want to check on the local legal notification laws regarding "legal announcements" of the closing of her estate.
In most states they have a requirement that a formal announcement appear in a paper of record, this sets a dead line for old creditors to present bills chargeable to the estate.

I took the relatively easy way and after talking to some friends found a small office attorney that specialized in estate work and he took care of 99% of the details simply calling me in to sign things from time to time. He wrapped up the legal side with out complications so I could focus on all the other issues like sorting through her things and giving stuff that had special meaning to the right people etc.

Don't let all the details over whelm you it is complex and time consuming but it will all get taken care of in good time!

Larry

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 05:26:11 PM »
The sorrow of your loss is unfortunately share by all of us.
Pre-need planning will go a long way towards making life simple for those that remain.
For 3 generations, we have put everything of substance in a family trust that can bypass all the probate nightmares.
Trust in others begins long before you are gone.
If nothing else, a long standing family trust is less likely to be challenged than a last will.
Deb wrote a good checklist that is a place to start if one is incapacitated, and from that the next step would be a beneficial trust.
Even the tax man has to step aside.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »
Like Jack we have a living trust. We had one for my dad and it saved us time, and other legal crap. It's the only way to go. BTW, when we moved to Utah we had to up date it because of differences in the state laws.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 08:27:33 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the guidance and support. I'll start working on the details and help my dad by passing along your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Have fun and be safe at B'ville!!

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 12:47:20 AM »
Terry,

I too am sorry for your loss. Joanie and I recently looked at out living trust. We found several items that no longer applied from when we had originally set it up.
I found a roadster in there that we had not owned since 1992.

DW