Author Topic: Red Devil visit  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Red Devil visit
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »
I stopped by to see the Kansas Bad Man and his new "Red Devil" today.  The streamliner is new again this year, #8 I believe Max said, and is really looking good.  I know it is not really named the Red Devil, but I think a couple of people may call it that after the Bub meet.   
History tells us that hard work, desire and resolve all lead to success.  Denis took 7 whacks at it till he succeeded, so anything can happen this year with Max's #8.  After spending some time with Max, maybe that's mad Max for being discounted as a contender, I believe this could be his year!  Sure it may take a little luck, but every record does.  If you looked at his scooters over the years and were impressed with the workmanship from a guy in his garage, get ready to be amazed.  This one looks really good and with the improvements in the design and a little "tip of the can" we could really be in for a show this year. 
At Bub last year, there was a lot of drama surrounding the big 3 that overshadowed the Vincent; couple that with a little bad luck and his effort was not rewarded, in fact his effort was disparaged by one rag's writer. 
But this year, the gloves are off and he is coming out fighting.  Y'all want to see a nice scooter, drop by his house, stand under his shade tree, and chat a while.  Like every Bonneville racer, he has stories and a dream, and a very small budget.  Or if you don't want to come to Kansas, be sure to get by his pit at Bub's.  Visit his website (http://www.vincentstreamliner.com) to see the build, he is a serious racer/contender.
This year, I think I will expect the unexpected.  It will be fun, see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Red Devil visit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:30:26 PM »
I have seen it said a few times that the Vincent project is not considered a serious contender and god knows I would like to see the bike break the record but one has to ask why they are not considered a contender for fastest bike. I can assure you if they were using two busa/ZX 14 motors there would be no discussion, after all, their work on the machine is a work of art and the body is slippery enough. They choose a motor of older design with a long stoke, air cooled, 2 valves per cylinder and whose original intended purpose was everyday driving. The Vincent motor is very much off the beaten path when competing with modern motors designed for high HP/rpm and proven in LSR. They should not get in a fluff and care if people don’t consider them a serious contender; they had to know that what they were doing was very different and the doubters will only make things sweeter if they are able to pull it off.

Personally, I have to consider them a contender, it is clear they spent the time and money on the project and with that much dedication and faith likely know something about the motors I dont.

I know that I am pulling for them and would love to see them do it, but there WILL be doubters until they make a run in the ballpark.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:08:47 PM »
It is curious how it was possible for the HD based liner machine of Campos to go so fast and still leave a lot of HP on the table ?
The black tire mark extended most of the distance it went under power.
With no blow just suck, nitro instead of parts wash, no puter generated control or decisions, and whizz bang ignition, but mostly the seat of his pants.
One must not forget his 74 Plush (not a spello) Rod performance that is still not listed with the other PR records, but is still shown with the multi valve cammers because the PR record in in the hands of a "Small Star" and more than 88 mph slower.
Do your own math on Jon Minono and see how he did and you do.
Why is that? :wink:

"If you want to verify where you stand, start by looking around." (me)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:53:41 AM »
No one can take a liner to the salt without help.  It takes a pit crew to take care of all of the system checks and so on.  Just to get the thing loaded on a salt trailer and take it to the line, is a major undertaking. 

The word "they" that JH used would apply in some respects, but as far as the building, design, choosing of the engines, and manufacturing of parts, there is no "they".  Ninety-nine percent of the Vincent streamliner you will be viewing on the salt at the Bub Meet is mine. 

For those interested, I'll be updating my website soon with an extensive narrative and photographic history of the Vincent streamliner, Black Lightning.

Mad Max
               The Kansas Bad Man

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 08:06:09 AM »
Sharp Old Fox Max needs to tell the story of his 2 cyl Drag Bike motor that was a first and predates a lot of riders. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"