Author Topic: Getting in to the US  (Read 1906 times)

Offline mj43

• New folks
Getting in to the US
« on: July 11, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »
My trip to Bonneville is coming apart.
Has anybody got any advice how to get through the EPA and DoT regulations on bringing in a vehicle to the US. Unless I can get through these I won't be competing at Bonneville.
As I am entered in a production class the race exemption, which I was led to believe was applicable, isn't  :-(

Thanks

Mark Jordan

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: Getting in to the US
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:25:20 PM »
The vehicle is to be never driven or licensed for use on public roads. You will need a carnet for that and your equipment. Remember it is a race only vehicle.    Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
Production by the rules can be a prepared vehicle that is outfitted with High performance parts that are not suitable for over the road use.
An example would be the compression ratio demands event gas.
You may have to provide a bond to ensure that it will returned to the originating country.
Your shipper should be able to handle it. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:45:31 PM »
whats the big problem...... import the vehicle as "race only" and list the import time as less than 90 days and you absolutely wont have a problem!!!! you can do the paperwork yourself but the best thing to do is use a bonded broker for the import and you wont have a problem

use the EPA form3520-1 (rev 1-06) and put a check in the box "code L" this will allow you to import as a "race Vehicle".
also put a check in the box "code I" which will allow you to temporarily import for testing purposes.

Attach a declaration stating the vehicle will be imported on XXXX date, then transported in an enclosed trailer to the race course for testing and then transported back for export on XXXX date. also add that the vehicle will never and can't be operated on public highway.

Dude you should not have a problem.... if you do, i can give you a contact of a broker I use....
Just relax and get er done....
kent

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »
if you are stating that the importer wont give you the "Race" exemption for your production vehicle.  call the BNI have them fax you another entry form and re-enter the vehicle in another class...then cram the new entry form up the importer's zzzz. then find yourself a imported that is willing to help.
kent