Author Topic: Just purchased a GPS HUD speedo.......will let ya know if it was worth the 99$  (Read 13013 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

I was looking for a way to accurately judge speed without having to deal with reading a tach and how it will change with rear end gearing and found this from a company called Global Top that sells a 99$ hud:

http://www.gtop-tech.com/index.asp?pid=6&newsID=9

Basically this thing monitors speed by GPS and the HUD (heads up display) projects an image of the speed on the back of the windshield so you dont need to take your eyes off the track and the ghost numbers wont affect visablilty.

Another cool thing about it is that it has an adjustable speed warning so you could set a "do not exceed speed" for licensing

It will ether be a waste of money.....or better than free beer.
Once it is installed I will let you know.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
I haven't got one of those new fangled gps things yet... had a couple of chances to get one.... i got all kinda gages in my liner but ya know, i never look at em. i just strangle the livin crap out of it and then pull the chutes. never really have the time to look at the gages even though they are right there in my face. but i guess the real reason why i haven't got a gps yet is cuz i really dont want to know how fast i went until Ed walks over and hands me my timing slip and Cris hands me a cup of cold water......if you have never felt that fealing before, its priceless... some of you will know exactly what i mean.
kent

Offline Speed Limit 1000

cuz i really dont want to know how fast i went until Ed walks over and hands me my timing slip and Cris hands me a cup of cold water......if you have never felt that fealing before, its priceless... some of you will know exactly what i mean.
kent
It is one of the best parts of Bonneville when you are greeted by Ed and Cris :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
We just put in some gages, no speedo, but thinking we need to try to look at some info, it is hard to look around too much.  :|

Must agree that Ed and Chris are great long course hosts, enjoy seeing them at the end  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
 :-o  Damn, If I'm supposed to look at the tach I'm gonna have to rethink this whole thing. I got one with a memory so I wouldn't have to look at it, as Kent said, till I was done... :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

This is exactly why I wanted a HUD device......

With a "ghost" image of the speed in the center (or anywhere you put it) of the windshield you dont have to look around.....just through it.

Here are a few pics of huds that are stock on some high end cars.

I agree that there must be some personal satisfaction in the running balls out and finding what you ran after the run but there are times that you need to have your speed in check....like licensing...or for testing. I have a 6 speed close ratio tranny in my car and I think that with my gearing I will be able to go faster in 5th than 6th.....but I am not sure.....knowing my speed will let me know if I lose any MPH between gear changes. Once the car has been dialed in and I have my AA license I will have a better handle on things and may choose to switch the thing off.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

dwarner

AA license:? :? :?

with a 'Busa in a Fiero??? This I gotta see,

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
isn't AA 250+?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
If ya can't dream ya don't need to be racing at Bonneville...  8-)  Nuts, I'm cheering for ya to get an AA, if ya only get a B or C, don't be disappointed...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
A GPS with a HUD that can also download to a graph and also  an overlay of the track configuration is very useful.
You saw the result of a similar device used at EM.
The one in the Autocross trainer came from a Silver State Racer. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

This is a little off but, does include HUD.

When Tom Evens and I drove to WoS last year we came up with the idea that if you have a HUD connected to your cd/Sirius radio that would project the words of the song being played on the windshield you could sing right along with Billy Joel, Hank Jr., etc and not have to hum a few bars.

MY idea, you can use it - no charge.

DW

Offline Bob Drury

Dan, if you listen to Bob Dylan, you don't need the words, just mumble............
Bob Drury

Offline Dean Los Angeles

#1 - You don't need to see the speed. It's important on the timing slip after the run. A graph of speed would be handy after the run.

#2 - During the run it would be handy if it was night. The display looks ok on the dark background. And if you aren't moving. Otherwise, it looks like this:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

DW, no wonder why you would not think that the car could do 250+ its a FIAT, not a Fiero!!!!

BTW Dan, people were wrong about you.....you are not a grumpy old man with no sense of humor!

Do I really think the car can go 250????

The stock frontal Area of the X19 is a crazy small 16.66
(only car I can find that has a smaller FA is a Caterham@ 15.82)
The stock Cd is a average .38.
The lower car is good for .07 improvement (7 inch drop....4.5 roof....2.5 wheels)
This would make a Cd of .31.

If I were to say that the nose, windshield angle, decreased low pressure behind the rear window (lower roof) and full belly pan of UHMW made only a .03 improvement the Cd would be .28 (I am sure it is better)

This would make the CdA=4.66 IF I did not include any benefit of decreased frontal area because if the massive roof chop....again the actual number should be better.

If this is correct, the car will need about 500 rwhp to go 250, and this is over well 100 mph slower that Rick went with the same motor. (we will run the turbo motor next year, this year only the NA mill)

This is just speculation on my part....but I did get the car to 160 today and ran out of room before I could get it into 6th (everything went great but my chain is much looser!).

I know the salt is a VERY different story. Time will tell and I wont be disappointed unless I cant get the thing to break 151 on the white.

*Andres Segovia

dwarner

Not grumpy - just curious. The wheelbase is?, the tires this 500 HP going through are xx" tall? And you have figured out how not to roll the teeth off the sprockets. Rick will be your new best friend when this is revealed.

DW