Author Topic: surface coatings?  (Read 3297 times)

Offline bvillercr

surface coatings?
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:00:20 PM »
We need to repaint the wheel tubs, cockpit and under our engine water tank.  What do you guys recommend for a coating.  Would a Rhino lining work?

Offline Bob Drury

Re: surface coatings?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:34:06 PM »
The first thing I would do is get a MSDS sheet on whatever you are thinking of using.  Rhino Lining and flames might make a pretty bad brew.  I think I would go for something water based, or better yet go online and look at flame retardant paints.  Remember the fumes..............
Bob Drury

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 11:08:06 PM »
I actually like using Rustoleum or Tremclad. The rust paints look decent and if you have to do modifications or repairs you can actually weld in the area with a minimum of preparation. Powder coating, box liners and silicone are the bane of those of us who weld.

Pete

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 12:06:14 AM »
Consider this:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5W181

I have never used the stuff but I was given 2 gallons and was told that it was great.

It says you dont have to remove rust....just apply this stuff and it converts the rust to a paintable surface and not just have the painted over rust eat its way through the other side.

I like the spray on bed coatings.....but do want to warn you about trying to remove a nut after the threads have been coated.....
Additional welding will be a problem.....hard to get an arc on plastic.....and the fumes.....and from the pic of you after grinding the rust it looks like you are not using a respirator.

I am going to use bed coatings on my wheel tubs and other places I know will not be an issue in the future.

One more thing.....use a respirator....rust and paint are not good to breath.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:58:33 AM »
thanks for all the replies, I do have some rust converter just need to find a coating.  Was thinking about a rust preventative oil base paint, Rhino, and a roof coating.  And yes for future rust removal and or grinding a dust mask will be used.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:58:45 AM »
The next time you service the wheel bearings on your trailer remember to recoat the fenders wells of your trailer. Spray undercoat works well for doing it. (Tres amigos dela Pep).
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:39:59 AM »
A very good product for bare metal is PPG's DP 40 or it comes in different numbers that indicate the color.  It is an epoxy primer meant for the first coat and not a high build primer.

I put it on my pickup after I stripped it to bare metal about 15 years ago and 140,000 miles ago and have been on the salt with it every year.  I have no frame, wheel well or rust anywhere that I put the DP-40.  All my rust problems or areas I couldn't spray into like seams.  Next time I'll use seam sealer on all of those areas.

The DP has been a big favorite with street rodders for years.  It isn't cheap, but it goes on easy and lasts forever.  If it is exposed to sunlight it will chalk, so you should top coat it and it needs to be topcoated withing 14 hours.  You can top coat it with about anything.  For my frame I just used rattle can black primer.  For any area where I wanted to do body work I used PPG K36 which is a high build primer and can be sanded and sprayed over at any time.

c ya,

Sum