Author Topic: Hawkwind,any news?  (Read 7613 times)

Offline firemanjim

Hawkwind,any news?
« on: March 18, 2005, 04:11:00 AM »
Any word back from DLRA event and how Hawkwind did??
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline hawkwind

Re: Hawkwind,any news?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 04:28:00 AM »
G'day Blokes
 Overall the meeting went well , we have our first 300 chapter member , John lynch in the blown AA bellytank  with a 301 mph, 5 new 200 club members , our first sidecar runs and our first truck runs and I think our overall numbers were greater than last year , salt was excellent and hard ,but the weather was a shocker ,especially for the motorcycles , with 2 full days and 2 half days lost because of very strong sidewinds , as for Hawkwind racing  Gazza( bussa )  MPS/G 1650 set a new record of 217 mph  which exceeds the bonneville  record ,Greg on the turbo bussa MPS/BG 1350 set a new Australian record of 223 mph but could not sort out handleing problems ,as for myself this year was not kind with several problems ,including bent throttle butterflies ( backfire ) blown radiator hose , fuel pump problem and the killer an intermittant electrical ( ignition ) fault which refused to make itself known made it a non event . Anyway there is allways next year
 I will fill you in later in the week when I get some more info
 Gary (Hawkwind racing )
slower than most

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »
Will the SCTA/BNI replace their MPS/G record with this Aussie World Motorcycle Record?
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
G'day Blokes
 Overall the meeting went well , we have our first 300 chapter member , John lynch in the blown AA bellytank with a 301 mph,

Is that a single run or a backed up record?

FREUD
Since '63

John Beckett

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Malcolm UK:
  Will the SCTA/BNI replace their MPS/G record with this Aussie World Motorcycle Record?
Sort of doubt it! But does show the need for a World body to keep track of such things. Different venues, more or less, the same rules.

JB

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
Australia is a differant planet.
 All religion is based on the "Highboy Roadster" and nothing else counts.
 The earth is flat and the center is Bonneville.
 Australia is past the end of the water.
 Yo,they even talk funny.
 So I hear.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 02:43:00 AM »
That would mean Austalia would have to accept all the SCTA records.

Doudt that would happen....

They actually have a thing over there about rules, let innovation fly and their motorcycle rules show that

Jon

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »

NO

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by scott guthrie:
 [QB] This does bring up an interesting point.

"There is an argument that Bonneville records are "harder," because of the two-way runs, and the many miles of running. (Long and short course, both)  However, they are not always faster!"

Scott, if you not running blown class how about 4,200 feet being a reason?

<small>[ March 21, 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Dynoroom ]</small>
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline joea

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »
hmmm........

two way flying mile or kilo

vs

one way flying 60-132 feet

let me ponder that one...

Joe   :)

<small>[ March 21, 2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Joe Amo ]</small>

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 09:22:00 PM »
Soooo, that's why our NA records at Bonneville are faster than El Mirage, the air is thinner.
 You know I always sorta wondered.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 04:20:00 AM »
Joe

Quote "Two way flying mile or kilo" ?

Don't you mean run twice!

What is the size of the final speed trap where times are taken 'for interest only' and not records at Bonneville?

What would happen if there is were to be a World Speed List for Maxton/Goliad type courses?
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline joea

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 09:14:00 AM »
Malcom,  my 1000cc record was run in opposite
 direction as are many in the book.....it happens
 when conditions/logistics exist...

yep two run average, one qualifying, one return...

one little difference in rules...besides the 5160 foot difference in timing trap.....Maxton doesnt have accountability for engine size...ie displacement not measured...

it would be interesting to include all the exit speeds from decades of 1/4 mile drag racing too....

Joe  :)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by JackD:
  Soooo, that's why our NA records at Bonneville are faster than El Mirage, the air is thinner.
 You know I always sorta wondered.
Jack you are trying to get the traction control issue into this thread arn't you?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »
HOT  BUTTON  HERE  (*)
 I never used traction control but would enjoy watching it used.
 The Bonneville records we set with SCTA required 3 runs.That only made sense to the ScTA that had to weed out the non-competitive entries.
 Once we did the 2 course method with AMA/FIM in 1989, the SCTA was able to accomodate more entries and eliminate the qualify method to be eligible for record runs. After that the Club further modified the procedures to allow various methods as the weather and course dictated but the records stayed the same in spite of the progressively easier methods.
 When you additionally divide the result by adding classes and claiming it a "World Record" it somehow loses flavor.
 While the definition of "Traction Control" is still in a state of flux, "Fraction Control " enjoys a new life at every meet. With new rules and methods run against old records we should never have to repeat ourselves or race anybody.
 Cagle used to qualify for Top Fuel with his roadster all the time and it was bad for business.
 If the business of club racing dictates that more go slower than more go faster, then we are well on our way.
 I can see that.