Author Topic: road streamliner  (Read 7238 times)

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
road streamliner
« on: February 15, 2005, 03:45:00 AM »
I have been in touch with a guy called Peter Markus.  His firm have designed a streamliner for the road.  It differs from the Ecomobile with the BMW parts in that it is an aeroplane cockpit/fuselage that they have attached a drive train to.  It uses a Suzuki Hyabusa engine.  Check it out on acabion.com
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline guttley782

Re: road streamliner
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 03:46:00 AM »
Sorry folks, his name is Peter Maskus!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline k.h.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »
Anyone know what TIRES the Acabion people intend to use for sustained speeds of up to 281 mph?  Maybe they can solve the LSR M/C tire question . . .
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »
Man! those Krauts must have some good sh*t! I looked at the Acabion web site and they have to be working to someone elses laws of physics! Their claims are pretty "out there" and I am certain that the picture of their "streamliner" is computer generated. Rick Yacoucci's orange car is probably one of the "slickest" cars on the salt and probably much more "aero than the Acabion car (bike?)and I think that he claims 5-600 hp from his turboed Hyabushi and he can "only" go 331. Besides would you really want to go 281 on the street in something like that. (wonder how fast those little support wheels spin when they touch the ground at 280?)
 Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »
And the 2005 price is only US $650,000 or so.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline guttley782

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 03:27:00 AM »
They do have one made, and I am going to test it in the summer in Germany.  The guy I have been in touch with I think is Swiss, but the company is nothing to do with the Ecomobile, which was BMW based and then had a body wrapped round thr chassis.  This firm have started with the plane cockpit and then added the motorcycle drive train.  Sam Wheeler hqas run 282mph using only 225bhp with a similar body shape, so do not decry them without proof when they claim 280mph!!  I will check it out and keep you all in touch! Gabriel.

StraightSix

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »
Interesting vehicle, very nice design, but we'll need a whole new road infrastructure to use them!

rosemeyer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »
Looking forward to that one! It looks like a stunning vehicle, and I can't wait to read about your 'test' this Summer.
 As to the practicality of it, I don't know.
 As for the need for "a whole new road infrastructure to use them", well I don't know; people who buy Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Gallardo, McLaren F1, etc... don't ask for new roads to use them, do they?

StraightSix

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
Yes but they don't cruise at 200mph either  :)  which seems to me to be the intent of this vehicle.

Offline guttley782

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 03:27:00 AM »
Hi Rex,
 The company have made two prototypes and the final version.  I presume that they have made some speed testing to make their claims, as the concept of selling a vehicle for such a high price demands a certain professionalism in their approach.  I have found the Peter is very efficient, deadly serious about his product and one very inventive person.  I think he should be applauded for such a fascinating machine, and I hope it is a success. Just think about Sam Wheeler's EZ Hook, and how the shapes compare.  EZ Hook is considered by many to be the most aerodynamic vehicle ever made, and he ran 282mph on 225bhp at Speed Week in 2003....We will see!

landracing

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 03:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gabriel Uttley:
  They do have one made, and I am going to test it in the summer in Germany.  The guy I have been in touch with I think is Swiss, but the company is nothing to do with the Ecomobile, which was BMW based and then had a body wrapped round thr chassis.  This firm have started with the plane cockpit and then added the motorcycle drive train.  Sam Wheeler hqas run 282mph using only 225bhp with a similar body shape, so do not decry them without proof when they claim 280mph!!  I will check it out and keep you all in touch! Gabriel.
Gabe,

Try 330+ with that hp setting of sam's EZ hook in 2004.

Landracing

<small>[ February 17, 2005, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: JonAmo ]</small>

landracing

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 03:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rex Schimmer:
   Rick Yacoucci's orange car is probably one of the "slickest" cars on the salt and probably much more "aero than the Acabion car (bike?)and I think that he claims 5-600 hp from his turboed Hyabushi and he can "only" go 331. Besides would you really want to go 281 on the street in something like that. (wonder how fast those little support wheels spin when they touch the ground at 280?)
 Rex
Rex,

The orange liner belongs to Jack Costella, the red Neb II is on loan from jack to Rick. Rick only owns the engines.

His speeds were awesome in that NebII car I think that record will stand for sometime.

Nafzger/Savage went 241.7 in 1989 in a FIA class and hold the world record, Rick would be in this class if he ran same motor combination in Neb II (Costella/Yacoucci) and went 315 on that 1000cc. FIA Class would be A-I-5. Rick could put a solid 70 mph on that world record.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 06:26:00 AM »
And imagine that in 1989 that FIA record was done during speedweek. And not to mention Al's 1990 FIA record that everyone is so proud of was during speedweek also.
 "Progress is our most important product" is only good for selling toasters.
 GO FIGURE ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »
Talking about ecomobile , fully approved for road use by many Govenements around the world , also fully enclosed including front and rear wheels , do you think they know thats DANGEROUS ??  :(  
 www.peraves.ch/ndexe.htm
 Gary ( never say never )
slower than most

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »
Cannot get to the website for this bike.  The German magazine gives 401 kph speed on the cover.  With all the supercars limited in speed and superbikes limited in power, I wonder how a 'bike maker thinks he can produce such a 'road going' machine?  Would be interesting to see McLaren's reaction when their F1 speed gets exceeded.

Gabriel - watch out for the side winds!
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.