Author Topic: Fastest "Old School" Record  (Read 13644 times)

Super Kaz

Re: Fastest "Old School" Record
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 10:39:31 AM »
Scott is very close to the bitter truth.
Dave used Bob's water jackets on both the open bike and the liner.
Leo Hess rode the same "Chopper" to the top speed ever for a "Push Rod Bike" at El Mirage in 84 at 215.063 for a record that still stands.
It is kinda like the Old Eagle that ate the young Rooster.
Mostly feathers and not much meat.
REMARKABLE  EA :wink:

Wow that  was Flyin back in 1984 :-o!
Jack Didn't Tramp III go 239+mph on 100% Nitro back in the day? I remember Talking to this Very Fit gentleman out in front of this S&S Trailer a couple years ago.
I was amazed that it went that Fast,but he said it didn't happen their first time out! :wink:   Lot's of Broken Motor so I didn't feel so bad :oops:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 08:38:45 PM »
Scott
the Vesco liner you mentioned is in my shop as we speak.... it started life as "big red" with 2 yam TD2 250cc twin motors(251mph), then lengthened for 2 TZ750 motors(303mph), then lengthened again for 2 KZ1000 motors(318mph), destroyed and rebuilt with an Offy engine and then really really destroyed at Bonneville(reported over 350mph). its in really sad shape! if i can ever figger out the picture posting stuff i'll post em for ya 2 see
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2007, 08:49:29 PM »
It was not lengthened when going from the TZ750 motors to the Kawis.
It did have a twist in the engine bay of about 3/8 of an inch that we didn't discover until the Kawi assembly was put in.
The wheels were straight so we went with it.
The crank centers were the same distance when assembled and  19 inches if I recall.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Freud

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2007, 01:11:45 AM »
Bikes with turbos are flying now days but what they have in speed they lack in sound.
When Campos rode Bob George's Harley twin engine machine, it had a load of nitro and as I
recall a slippey clutch. I know for certain Leo Payne's Turnip Eater, a nitro burner, hopped up with "shoe polish", was a one gear only machine and I think Bob's may have been also.
It was an animal. The exhaust note, on whatever fuel it ran, was stacato and had a
visceral rumble.
Those last runs with that bike lead to the power package being the basis of the
Bob George motorcycle streamliner.
Todays bikes whisper in comparison.
FREUD
Since '63

Super Kaz

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 12:40:19 AM »
Scott is very close to the bitter truth.
Dave used Bob's water jackets on both the open bike and the liner.
Leo Hess rode the same "Chopper" to the top speed ever for a "Push Rod Bike" at El Mirage in 84 at 215.063 for a record that still stands.
It is kinda like the Old Eagle that ate the young Rooster.
Mostly feathers and not much meat.
REMARKABLE  EA :wink:

Wow that  was Flyin back in 1984 :-o!
Jack Didn't Tramp III go 239+mph on 100% Nitro back in the day? I remember Talking to this Very Fit gentleman out in front of this S&S Trailer a couple years ago.
I was amazed that it went that Fast,but he said it didn't happen their first time out! :wink:   Lot's of Broken Motor so I didn't feel so bad :oops:

Parabellum-Faired Bub/S+S Tramp III went 239 mph. This is a pushrod twin with a single carburetor! here ya go!!!! :evil:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 04:49:23 AM »
Scott you are correct on about everything. your memory is better than your wife will tell everyone. most people counted it as 6 wheels and the front wheel was the one that was found a few weeks after the crash. Jack, the engine bay has substantially more twist in it now, and yes 19's on front and back!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »
and yes 19's on front and back!
Did I say that ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"