Author Topic: Tires: One more time.  (Read 10530 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Tires: One more time.
« on: January 03, 2007, 07:42:24 PM »
I was reading in the latest "Hot Rod" that Firestone provided new tires, of the original design, for the refurbishment of the Golden Rod, now in the Henry Ford. Now who do you talk to at Firestone(Bridgestone now) to make these available to salt racers???

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jimmy six

Re: Tires: One more time.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 11:27:51 PM »
OK Dan how's this?

Call Mike Cook and order up......................................J.D.

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline tortoise

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »
I was reading in the latest "Hot Rod" that Firestone provided new tires, of the original design, for the refurbishment of the Golden Rod, now in the Henry Ford. Now who do you talk to at Firestone(Bridgestone now) to make these available to salt racers???

Rex
Don't get your hopes up. The article says "Firestone refurbished the original tires the Goldenrod wore . . .".

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 01:06:42 PM »
Like maybe gum dipped?
I have not seen gum dipped tires, so can anyone explain the process and how it might extend the life of a tire, assuming the most harm we do to them is in storage?

Rick
Rick

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »
I was told that at the very least you should drop air pressure to 10-15 lbs. and  store on their sides---not on concrete--and maybe put them in 'good" thrash type bags with nitrogen in the bags--keep them blown up like balloons with nitrogen in a cool dark place..I built a closet in my shops bathroom just for mine..
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »
Like maybe gum dipped?
I have not seen gum dipped tires, so can anyone explain the process and how it might extend the life of a tire, assuming the most harm we do to them is in storage?

Rick
"GUM DIPPED" was an old Firestone patent that included a soft gum treatment to the  the tire when more natural rubber was used as opposed to all the chemical additives they use today for the various results they are building the tire for.
Part of the effect was to reduce the deterioration from the ozone and also it provided some leak protection like the stuff you buy in a  bottle (Flat Fix) to stop a minor leak.
Many race tires are built with a high fabric count, very little sidewall rubber, and are leakers.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
Firestone 6.50-20 High Speed Gum Dipped 6PR Nylon Tire: [ebay]120030766160[/ebay]
Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 12:32:50 AM »
Eventho no one seemed to mention this yet and none of you made any comments....Mr. Cook is extremely close to a deal on tires being made as announced at the last SCTA meeting. The first size,I believe him to say, was a 30" 18...However he needs to know what and how many of the sizes which they are looking to be made...I also believe he they will made in the original Mickey Thompson molds and several are available....Like I said.......Order up. Don't bug any one on prices cause no one knows. Good Luck

PS: Think they will get this one Dan?
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 12:52:00 AM »
If Cook has anything to sell, I would expect to hear from him in a format that would generate interest for his business.
This forum probably has the widest readership and would be a good place to start.

The single tire mentioned as HI Speed is for a 30s car and proably 60mph.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 01:46:31 AM »
Just got home from a club meeting and the club rep reported that Cooper tire ? was preparing to make more of the 18" wheel X 30" tire.  :-) Those who are interested in these tires should contact Mike Cook. After this run of 18X30's they will make some 18X26.5 and some 16X28 pending interest. No price or delivery date was announced.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Tires: AGAIN
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 02:34:27 AM »
Do a search on this web site for "LSR tires" and go back to the future a few years. :wink:

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
Jack,

If I was in the market for tires JD's post on 01/06 would have been enough for me to investigate. Apparently, there is more interest in posting than reading. Tom's post that he heard from his club rep that tires are to become available indicates that the system is working.

Thank you JD,

DW

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »
You are right Dan.   HOOOOOORAY FOR COOK
I almost called Mike back then, but I'm really not in the market for tires that large or fast....
Now when he gets into the 26 or 25" 
Naaaaaa.
Actually the question I will have then, is how do they compare to G/Y LSR of same size at speeds lower than designed for.
(Margin of safety)
I don't aspire to go 400, but do want to be as safe as possible.

Rick
Rick

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:13:54 AM »
The same information has been passed along before as reading and experience would indicate.
More than one effort has been underway with the same degree of success.
Different people, different countries, all have had much the same result.
The need is there but the volume and risk are the main burdon.
You will recall that BNI borrowed the money to make the molds and build a string of tires that left them broke.
The last post and information passed along through the club network I recall from 2 years ago said the materials were being purchased.
When tires were produced in limited numbers, the manufacturer wanted to lease them so they might be returned in a specific time frame.
That was to reduce the hand-me-down and subquend uncontroled use that our bunch has been noted for.
Allstate and Indy skins would be an example of that.
The people all along the food chain want some protection from the potential result that matches the dollar investment.
It is not much more complicated than that.
The fierce amateur nature of the sport has it's weight to carry in the face of a changing environment and has to decide where it wants to be and go there.
I guess I would ask where are those molds we already paid for as a start ?

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »
I, like Jack, find it rather curious that Mike Cook is the contact on this deal.  If Cooper Tire is in fact going to build these tires and accept the liability, why are neither they or Mike letting anyone other than Mike know about it.  In my last conversation with Carol Cianciola at M/T, she indicated that she still had the list of those wanting tires, and I would think their would be some contact.  I am not trying to be a naysayer here, but why wouldn't Mike want to post a notice on here rather than take a hundred phone calls by the curious.  I am hopefull that the information stated is true and not just another pipe dream, but where is the REAL information?  Bob
Bob Drury