Author Topic: Sidecar Streamliners  (Read 3050 times)

LittleLiner

Sidecar Streamliners
« on: December 23, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »
Well progress (or lack of progress) on the J/GC Chevette continues at a snails pace (probably appropriate for the slowest gas coupe class).  In the mean time a friend was looking through the SCTA web site and spotted the photo of the Team McLeish Bros Sidecar Streamliner.  Now he is considering building one (at least till the Mrs finds out).  So the question is "What is it like to drive (ride?) a streamliner sidecar?".  Since there is no provision for skids like the two wheeled streamliners I guess they are not prone to tipping over (no more than a car) but since I know less than zero about these, ah, 'vehicles' perhaps someone can fill me in.    Art

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Re: Sidecar Streamliners
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 02:45:00 PM »
Art, Riding a sidecar is a little different but can be gotten used to. You have to steer a sidecar outfit as opposed to leaning like on a solo bike. I rode a sidecar streamliner built by Bob Bakker to 174 mph in 1990 and it handled perfectly. Sidecar "finese" takes a little getting use to but the key is to remember to steer not lean.  I am an advocate of a sidecar, streamliner or otherwise, should be able to accomadate a passenger.  Some of the current versions bend the rules a bit to much in my opinon. Good luck on the project.