Author Topic: Window replacement  (Read 1487 times)

Offline thommysgarage

Window replacement
« on: June 19, 2022, 03:28:55 PM »
  I have been running a 77 Firebird at ECTA meets for a few years. The front and side windows are lexan, but the rear window is the original glass. The car runs in the A/CGALT class and I plan to run at World of Speed this year. I know that the glass needs to be removed, as the record is 246+ ( my car won't go that fast). Is it Ok to replace the rear window with sheet metal instead of lexan? I have seen photos of altered cars that look like this has been done. I know that I can't flush fit it or change the profile of the body. It would help to keep some heat out of the car as well as being secure and sturdy. Just wondering.

Offline MRK

Re: Window replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 08:11:05 PM »
  I have been running a 77 Firebird at ECTA meets for a few years. The front and side windows are lexan, but the rear window is the original glass. The car runs in the A/CGALT class and I plan to run at World of Speed this year. I know that the glass needs to be removed, as the record is 246+ ( my car won't go that fast). Is it Ok to replace the rear window with sheet metal instead of lexan? I have seen photos of altered cars that look like this has been done. I know that I can't flush fit it or change the profile of the body. It would help to keep some heat out of the car as well as being secure and sturdy. Just wondering.

You do not have to replace the rear glass as long as it is "laminated glass". There should be markings on the glass indicating what it's made of. Please read rule 3.U in the SCTA/BNI rule book. As far as replacing the rear glass with anything other than a polycarbonate replacement, that is a no go. I suggest you contact the committee head of the class you intend on running. Mike's information can be found in section 16 of the rule book. This way you have an official response that has been memorialized in case you are questioned.
Regards,
Mike Kaehny
SCTA Record Certification Officer
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 01:05:35 PM »
  Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering about this, I already have some sheet metal, thought it would be a quick solution to this issue.
I will get a lexan window so there will be no problems.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 11:21:41 PM »

So I didn't see a requirement for the lexan rear window and went ahead and made a carbon fiber one using the original back glass as a mold on a 84 Firebird. I'm really hoping to not have to look in the rear view mirror much. I contacted a number of the Lexan window manufactures and they either wanted a small fortune or never got back ahold of me. The only firm quote was $1000 plus freight. I have about $250 in the EBay materials.

Offline MRK

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 05:49:31 PM »

So I didn't see a requirement for the lexan rear window and went ahead and made a carbon fiber one using the original back glass as a mold on a 84 Firebird. I'm really hoping to not have to look in the rear view mirror much. I contacted a number of the Lexan window manufactures and they either wanted a small fortune or never got back ahold of me. The only firm quote was $1000 plus freight. I have about $250 in the EBay materials.
This will be an issue if you make it to Impound unless you've had it signed off by the Technical Committee Chair of the category you run in.
The only recourse you MIGHT have is to lobby the committee head and seek a rule deviation. See rule 1.R.
In my short time with the SCTA, I've yet to see one of this nature allowed.
Good luck, Mike
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 08:59:01 PM »
You could probably run in T.O., but if you've been building towards a record, this, in my opinion, would disqualify you.

Production and Gas classes are supposed to look like factory cars in most details.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 11:55:26 AM »
  Just ordered a Lexan rear window from Shakedown, at a very reasonable price. I have dealt with them in the past and have been quite happy with their service. Even though I have no expectations of setting a record, I want to follow the rules, don't want any problems.

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 01:18:50 AM »
  Just ordered a Lexan rear window from Shakedown, at a very reasonable price. I have dealt with them in the past and have been quite happy with their service. Even though I have no expectations of setting a record, I want to follow the rules, don't want any problems.

We installed a Lexan rear window on the 1988 222 Camaro and installed a Duez fastener near the bottom front as I was afraid wind might catch it there. Not sure what your widow looks like though. Also make sure you install the window trim as I heard about an inspector not going to certify a record if an intrant didn't have it installed. We got a DUEZ bracket fastener from Summit with 4 pop rivet holes and place for a Duez

GOOD LUCK JL222

PS We went thru hell and aborted runs figuring out how to keep the side windows from blowing out..