Author Topic: 1968 AMC JAVELIN Driven by Craig Breedlove at Bonneville Salt Mecum Auction Car  (Read 760 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
1968 AMC JAVELIN 'BONNEVILLE SPEED SPECTACULAR', Driven by Craig Breedlove at the Bonneville Salt Flats

Did not sell with a high bid of $110,000.

1 of 3 Javelins specially prepared by Craig Breedlove and Edelbrock Engineering in 1968
Winner of the ?Car Craft? magazine contest known as the ?Bonneville Speed Spectacular?
Craig Breedlove drove it to a flying mile speed of 161.733 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats
This C-Production class record stood for years afterward
Driven only at Bonneville Salt Flats for 19 miles total
Trailered before and after the contest
Modified chassis and safety modifications by Breedlove's shop
304 CI V-8 engine
Vic Edlebrock designed special prototype 2x4-barrel aluminum intake
Special heads built by Joe Mondello
4-speed manual transmission
Red, White and Blue exterior
Black interior
Bucket seats
Tachometer
October 1998 issue of ?Car Craft? magazine
Several 1968 ?Car Craft? magazine issues included
April 1970 ?Hot Rod? magazine
AMC?s marketing campaign for the Javelin was truly innovative for the era, capitalizing on the land speed record battles being fought and the interest they generated. In 1968, AMC teamed up with Bonneville legend Craig Breedlove and Edelbrock Engineering to build three Javelins to attack the salt flats and set records.

This particular 1968 AMC Javelin is one of those three vehicles and was built to compete in the C/Production class, which made the AMC 304 CI V-8 the engine of choice. It features special heads built by Joe Mondello, as well as a Vic Edelbrock-designed prototype cross-ram intake manifold mounting a pair of Holley 4-barrel carbs. The 304 CI V-8 was mated to a 4-speed manual transmission. Other features include a modified chassis and safety upgrades from Breedlove?s shop, as well as a black bucket-seat interior, a Hurst shifter, tachometer, Cragar wheels with Goodyear racing tires, the iconic AMC Racing red, white and blue paint scheme with original livery and, of course, a parachute.

This Javelin was the winner of the Car Craft magazine Bonneville Speed Spectacular contest, with Craig Breedlove himself setting the C/Production flying-mile speed record of 161.733 MPH that stood for years after. It was driven only at Bonneville Salt Flats for 19 miles total, and it was trailered before and after the contest. The C/Production record stood for many years afterward. This car has had extensive magazine coverage, including several issues of Car Craft magazine in 1968, the April 1970 issue of Hot Rod magazine, and later in the October 1998 issue of Car Craft. Several copies of Car Craft are included with this car. This is a spectacular opportunity to own a true piece of Bonneville and AMC history.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0522-502691/1968-amc-javelin-bonneville-speed-spectacular/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 05:22:00 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline jacksoni

Interesting but must have been under another sanctioning body as it is a D class car, not C. the D record was set by Van Prothero in 1967 at 174 or so. In 1975 He set the C/Pro record at 197 which lasted until 1981 when went to 217 with another car but Prothero driving. Current C record 234 and D record 225 or so. I dont have records before 1975 so if it actually ran in C/Pro it could have set that record I suppose.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019