Author Topic: newbie questions  (Read 731 times)

Offline mkmachine

• New folks
newbie questions
« on: January 23, 2022, 12:26:47 AM »
I'm a total newb here. I'm finally making the jump and getting ready to set up a vintage British bike with the plans of taking it to El Mirage, and/or maybe Bonneville.
Nothing too wild, just a well tuned and well sorted machine. No fairings or custom frames.
Is there a handy reference for what I need to do to the bike to make it pass tech inspection?
Do I need to safety wire things? What's up with the handle bar mounted fuel cut off? Where do I buy something that will pass that spec?
I read something somewhere that control levers must have ball ends, now I can't find it. Is that a thing?

My understanding is both events have different sanctioning bodies, and there are some minor differences. I'm assuming it isn't too hard to set a bike up to pass both.

Offline 37 ROADSTER

Re: newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 01:13:06 AM »
Check the SCTA website,you can download the inspection form to get an idea of the things they look for. Both events are run under SCTA rules, also get a rule book should be available in April.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 10:08:41 AM »
Rules for open bikes don't change much... you could probably contact the SCTA office or the USFRA office for a 2021 rule book to get a jump on what you need to do.  Your questions mix a lot of class requirements...
Both organizations have websites with contact info. 
There is also a bike only meet, the BMST... their rules are quite similar and online
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O