Author Topic: A little inside skinny  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
A little inside skinny
« on: July 18, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
I spent a few hours at Del's yesterday, helping get one of the trailers ready for the event. We did some work and then I had the great opportunity to chat with Del about BMST - it's history, how the sanctioning bodies function and how the upcoming event is shaping up.

The great news is that the number of entries so far is only down a few percent from 2019 in spite of covid travel restriction being a big question mark. It also sounded like there is room for more entries without it straining the system. If you have been in wait and see mode about participating, go for it. If conditions hold the salt should be great, which means lots of record runs. The new BUB streamliner is also planning to be out there on shakedown runs, which ought to be very interesting to watch.

Offline gowing

Re: A little inside skinny
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 03:35:26 PM »
I was wondering about the prospective participant numbers and covid's effect.

I kind of assumed that during lockdown, there were a lot of guys out in their garages building bikes,
and looking forward to running them this year.  So attendance would be up.

Offline DRW

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 11:50:09 PM »
Doc, That news makes me happy,, I was one to tell Del I cannot get my Program ready this year An Always feel bad like im not Helping out as far as keeping BMST Going !  But You sat that attendance looks good, , That makes me happy ,As Im already working towards 2022 !!   But Damn Im Gonna Be In A Bad Bad Mood during 2021 BMST   
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 05:20:41 PM »
Yeah I was pretty unbearable in late August last year with no BMST. Ended up doing pretty much a whole new motor during the extra year of prep time. Hopefully that work will pay off and I'll get more than two runs in before breaking this year. When you think about the percentage of entries that usually come in from outside the US who don't know if they can make it this year it's probably safe to guess that American entries are up a bit this year. WA will represent, with at least half a dozen of us coming from the general neighborhood around Del and Lucas, and lots more from the rest of the state. Really looking forward to seeing the salt family!

Offline drc42

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 06:32:46 PM »
Good luck Doc.  Looks like you are shooting for my record (250-M-CF).  Not a high bar (was an open record when I took it in 2019) but I was happy to get into the record books.  Hope to get back out there next year and take it back (I am assuming you will take it with no problems).

You running nitrous again this year?

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 11:46:33 PM »
Thanks Doug! Yup 250-M-CF. Nitrous yes, and I am going to try e85. Bike did 95.6 in 2019 running at 305CC with about a 9hp shot and a bad clutch. The math says maybe 104 this year if I can get the shot up where I would like it without blowing up. But who knows? Haven't done anything but break in the new motor in my garage so I will find out more on Sunday. Got on the salt this afternoon. It's amazing, almost like concrete. Buncha records gonna be made I suspect.

Hope to see you out there next year.

Offline drc42

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 08:49:09 AM »
Suspense has been killing me.  Did you take the record?  How high of a bar did you set for me to take it back next year?

My hope is to be retired by then so should have much more time to focus on this.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 12:45:25 PM »
The day that we left my ambulance race hauler that had just had $3800 worth of maintenance and repairs broke 30 miles from home. Brought it home, frantically rented a Uhaul van and transferred stuff into it willy-nilly. Go to the perfect salt Friday afternoon and proceeded to spend the week battling a strange misfire problem on the new motor. Basically the motor ran great no load in the pit but would cut out about 6000 rpm except for short random spurts under load, when it showed that it could run like a scalded dog right up to 9K.

For five days I went through the valve adjustment, the ignition, the timing (all over from retarded to advanced), the new carbs/jets (multiple times), different plugs, checked all the wiring connections, made sure the battery had a full charge, tried gas, tried E85, tried much advice from other racers and still no joy. Frustrating and exhausting. Finally said f**k it and made a run late Wednesday when just a few bikes were hot lapping and no one would be upset if I went putt-putt down the course. For a brief instant it ran stunningly though first gear right up to my 9K shift point. Into second the miss started. Got it up to 61.7 on the gps speedo and decided to see if it could pull in third. Nope, started falling off. So I putt-putted down the course and decided to make it a training ride, playing with my tuck and watching for speed changes and trying the "head down, head up and peek, head down, head up and peek" technique. Speed ended up 59.

At least my wife got some nice shots of me on the bike after my run. Nope, turned out the nine year old Nikon DSLR broke in the middle of a previous days "bike on the salt" photo session! And the new electronic tach on my teammate's bike apparently ate its new electronic ignition before he even got a run in. In spite of all this I had a great time. Luckily my bud Jaylin Billig did get a nice shot to prove I was on the course.

So you're still the king. But watch out next year, I'll be back and sorted!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:50:45 PM by Doc B. »

Offline drc42

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
Doc,

Wow, sounds like quite a battle between just getting there and then trying to get it running right.  Truly sorry to hear this but hopefully we can go head to head next year!