Author Topic: Road and Track article about the Bonneville Salt Flats  (Read 4278 times)

Offline MRK

Road and Track article about the Bonneville Salt Flats
« on: March 19, 2021, 02:04:00 PM »
I received the latest edition of the new an improved (?) Road and Track magazine and the is a very short article on the BSF by someone who seems to be really uninformed or lazy about the information in his article. Not that the content is wrong it's just too little for something as important as the BSF.
Wasn't there a link at one time on the front page of these forums to an article from the 60's written by someone at C&D or R&T?
I'd like to send the author of the article to it so he could learn it little more and perhaps educate others.
Thanks in advance, Mike
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Stan Back

Re: Road and Track article about the Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 05:09:22 PM »
Send it to LM Louise -- she's the self-appointed know-it-all about everything that goes on about Save the Salt and all the other organizations.

Oh, wait, what have you heard in the last few years since that declaration?

-- Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 07:22:02 PM »
Send it to LM Louise -- she's the self-appointed know-it-all about everything that goes on about Save the Salt and all the other organizations.

Oh, wait, what have you heard in the last few years since that declaration?

-- Stan Back
LOL. :-D 8-)

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 10:48:33 PM »
MRK

IIRC the article was originally in the Dec'72 issue of Car & Driver magazine.  There was a link to it in the upper right corner of the home page here for quite awhile.  Just about all the predictions in it came true except the timeline,  it took longer.......

Ed

Offline MRK

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »
MRK

IIRC the article was originally in the Dec'72 issue of Car & Driver magazine.  There was a link to it in the upper right corner of the home page here for quite awhile.  Just about all the predictions in it came true except the timeline,  it took longer.......

Ed

Yep. That's the one I'm after. Maybe our beloved moderator has it archived somewhere and will forward it to me. Hint, hint.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 02:48:30 PM »
MRK,

Try this link:  http://www.landracing.com/docs/C_and_D_StS_12-1972.pdf

It just worked for me, if it doesn't for you let me know and I'll try to figure something else out.

Ed

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 08:18:45 PM »
Read the cover story. Okay, it's about the Mad Canadian, Ken Carter, but well written and researched. I provided half the photos and a bit of the story. I never did believe the daredevils cared if they survived or not. If they survived they had cash in their pocket. If not, no more worries. Knievel was the worst of the bunch. It   was an interesting episode in my life.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline gowing

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 01:52:18 AM »
So....  you  think that Knievel did it wrong?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
I've Kinda based my life around that,  it's a strategy that has so far somewhat worked.

What changed your prospective MAYOMAN?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 02:09:17 AM by gowing »

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 08:32:02 AM »
He (Knievel) confirmed what I said. My opinion never changed. Read the R&T article. My objective on Ken's stunt was his survival. Mission accomplished.

Offline MRK

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 10:46:43 PM »
MRK,

Try this link:  http://www.landracing.com/docs/C_and_D_StS_12-1972.pdf

It just worked for me, if it doesn't for you let me know and I'll try to figure something else out.

Ed

Worked perfect. Thanks!  :-)

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 09:37:13 AM »
The theme of the Road and Track Volume 4 is RISK. The article, Pass The Salt, is 4 pages with some very compelling photographs. Also, a nice plug for Save the Salt. The article allows that money talks ? and the Bureau of Land Mis-Management listens. The Car and Driver article from 1972 showed that only out-of-state racers, visiting 2 weeks per year, actually care about the unique natural wonder of the Bonneville Salt Flats. No political clout, no financial clout, no salt flats.

Offline MRK

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »
The theme of the Road and Track Volume 4 is RISK. The article, Pass The Salt, is 4 pages with some very compelling photographs. Also, a nice plug for Save the Salt. The article allows that money talks ? and the Bureau of Land Mis-Management listens. The Car and Driver article from 1972 showed that only out-of-state racers, visiting 2 weeks per year, actually care about the unique natural wonder of the Bonneville Salt Flats. No political clout, no financial clout, no salt flats.

Not sure what you find "compelling" about two drone shots and a flooded lakebed but art is art. A nice plug for Save the Salt? Beyond a mention there is nothing about how to contact the organization or how to contribute. IMHO the article is weak. I'm sure Mr. Kinard is a fine chap but a column and a half dedicated to something as critical as the preservation of the BSF is a half baked effort.
Again, this is just my opinion and is no way an effort to make Kyle the person look bad. It's simply my frustration at what I consider to be a weak effort. See you on the Salt!

Offline MRK

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 07:53:25 PM »

Not sure what you find "compelling" about two drone shots and a flooded lakebed but art is art. A nice plug for Save the Salt? Beyond a mention there is nothing about how to contact the organization or how to contribute. IMHO the article is weak. I'm sure Mr. Kinard is a fine chap but a column and a half dedicated to something as critical as the preservation of the BSF is a half baked effort.
Again, this is just my opinion and is no way an effort to make Kyle the person look bad. It's simply my frustration at what I consider to be a weak effort. See you on the Salt!

I've made contact with Kyle Kinard who wrote the article and sent him the C&D article from 1972. Hopefully it help educate him about the history of issues the BSF have been facing for several decades. Maybe he will make an effort in a future issue to bring a brighter light to the issue.