Author Topic: New FIM helmet requirement  (Read 2141 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

New FIM helmet requirement
« on: December 24, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »
The AGV GP RR helmet is FIM approved.  Our local dealer says it is not approved for road use in the states and it is unavailable here.  The same with FIM approved helmets Arai RX-7V and Shark Race R Pro GP FIM Racing #1.

The Shoei X-Fourteen is also on the FIM approved list.  A few minutes ago I called the big racer supply store in Portland.  "Pull a new XL size Shoei X-Fourteen off of the shelf and tell me if there is an FIM approval sticker on it."  He said there is no approval sticker on the helmet.

Has anyone figured out how to get a FIM approved lid in the US?     

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: New FIM helmet requirement
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
Get someone to smuggle one in their luggage from outside the US?

Assuming there is mass vaccination and international travel in 2021 obviously 😁
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 11:41:40 PM »
The AGV GP RR helmet is FIM approved.  Our local dealer says it is not approved for road use in the states and it is unavailable here.

AGV has a USA website, and show an AGV GP RR DOT helmet available for about $1,500.00 USD  https://www.agv.com/us/en/full-face/pista-gp-rr/

Has anyone figured out how to get a ...lid in the US?   

A lid (4 Oz oz of Mary Jane) should not be very hard to get in Oregon  8-) https://www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana/Pages/Recreational-Marijuana-Laws-and-Rules.aspx  8-)
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 05:33:13 AM »
We in Australia went thru this exercise almost twelve months back, and had trouble finding the "Latest" FIM complinant helmets,,
There were plenty off the shelf helmets with the old FIM requirements which arnt accepted by the FIM today,,
I, along with others imported helmets direct from manufactures in Japan,,

The tag on the helmets chin strap "Must Show"   "FRHPhe-01-2018" to be accepted at a current FIM event,,
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:35:07 AM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 11:20:09 AM »
Pot is far too available here and the voters recently legalized the sale of other drugs.  The folks smoking dope and driving are easy to spot.  They cruise along well under the speed limit, flip on their turn blinkers early, and stop their cars about 50 feet behind the crosswalk. 

The helmet comparison reviews on the i-net said the AGV Pista had an exceptionally high eyeport.  That took a lot of the financial pain away when I ordered one.  A problem is that it does not have other approvals besides FIM, like Snell.  Popup windows appeared on the computer screen while I was doing the helmet research.  Usually I ignore them.  One had the Pista at an incredibly low price with free shipping.  It was like dangling a marshmellow in front of a carp.  No hesitation.  It was ordered from Spain within seconds.         

Offline comet

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 12:03:16 PM »
I wonder how many helmets I could sneak into Dawn's suitcase without her noticing this coming August.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 07:08:02 PM »
Both of you could say you are worried about the plane falling apart and that is why you are wearing the helmets.

Offline comet

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 05:06:23 PM »
 :-D
We could try that. Maybe they'd let us sneak a few extra in as hand luggage too.

Offline maj

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »
Be sure the helmet you ordered is FIM, the same model helmet may be available not FIM tagged and no good for racing
The other lids may be a problem for the other aspect of FIM compliance,
Frankly between the helmet requirements and WADA stuff i was extremely close to saying bugger FIM , it just seemed like a huge and unnecessary extra cost and imposition for what we do