Author Topic: Motorcycle Hall of Fame  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Freud

Motorcycle Hall of Fame
« on: October 06, 2006, 09:26:23 PM »
I am on my way to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Induction ceremony Saturday night in Pickerington, Ohio.

Two people that have been involved with LSR will be inducted. Cook Neilson, editor of CYCLE MAGAZINE for 12 years starting in January, 1970 and one of our close associates, Denis Manning.
Cook ran a Harley in 1969 and was one of the 3 bikes on the cover of CYCLE, December 1969, along with Leo Payne and Warner Riley. All were record setters and all were Harleys with support from S & S Cycle. Leo's bike, the Turnip Eater, was the first open bike to set a record above 200 MPH. (202.379 MPH but it's listed as a 1970 record) Scott, am I wrong?

Denis was notified that he had been elected to the HoF before he ran his record run at the BUB meet. This should be the frosting on the cake for
Denis.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Motorcycle Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:11:52 PM »
I have a pix of the Dec 69 Cycle. I would like to share it with ya guys I cant seem to attach it to this post! can some one tell me how?
Kent

Offline Freud

CYCLE Dec '69 cover
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:58:51 PM »
That foto is already posted in Jon's archives.

I just took the original out of the safe and will be selling enlargements in the near future. They will be signed by the two living participants.

The Motorcycle HoF ( Pickerington, Ohio) was a blast. Cook and Denis were very prominent. Cook was recognized for his journalistic talent and the success of Old Blue. Neilson was certain to acknowledge the skill and help provided by his devoted friend, Phil Shilling. Both of them were inducted into the Ducati Hall of Fame in Salt Lake City the Saturday after Speed Week. They were the only privateers to win the Super Bike race at Daytona while competing against the factory prepared 4 cylinders.

Denis had the BUB liner on it's cradle. I was displayed outside the museum in all it's splendor. Cris Carr and Denis signed outside by the bike and the crowds were huge. It was surrounded by a marvelous field of restored bikes and the day was perfect. Soft fall warmth and many people slobbering as they described the bike that they "used to have that was just like that one." Then it was moved to the entrance of the banquet facility and as the sun was setting it was elegant.

All of the inductees were in an autograph session that ran from 2PM to 3PM Saturday. Posters were provided and that was the general item to be signed by all of the inductees. Burt Munro was represented by his brother and sister. They were very interesting and knowledgeable about Burt. They probably had as much TV time as all the others combined.

The show was recorded and will probably be out on DVD in the not too distant future. If you want to expand your knowledge and appreciation of historical motorcycles, this is one of several museums to visit. The staff was excellent and the presentation immaculate. The judged bikes were placed on the circular driveway around the entrance of the museum and very accessible. I would estimate the crowd to be about 400 for the banquet. It's open to the public and well worth attending.

Use this site: http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/

Further info:  http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/class2006/concours/index.asp

It was a whirlwind trip. I left SeaTac at 1AM Saturday and was home at 1:30 PM Sunday. Red eye and jet lag are part of the results. Memories of  people that I have met in my 39 years of motorcycle journalism fuel the glow that surrounds my entire being.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

Since '63

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Motorcycle Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »
Hey Freud
I have the whole mag scanned, Its a pretty good scan. can i email it to ya so you can post it?
kent

High Gear

HOF
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 02:10:24 PM »
Freud,

Nice talking to you this weekend. The AMA did a fine job with the event. My only regret is not having time to visit with Cook.

John Munro and his sister accepted on behalf of Burt. They are not his brother & sister but his children.

Mike Wilson, Leo's long time sponsor was also inducted.

Regards,

Gary

Offline interested bystander

m/c hall of fame
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 09:55:09 PM »
Freud- you might  confirm this -did the late Buddy Martinez not make a (one way) pass at like 202.45 on Don McEvoy's twin Triumph unfaired bike (built by the late Ed Rannberg, by the way)in '68-
My expert, who was there, said he did!
We've always thought he was the first over 200 open to the wind. Not two way, though.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline jeffb

S&S carbs
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:13:28 PM »
S&S has a large picture at the factory of the 3 sportsters and in that picture you can see that there is not a carb on the yellow bike.  It looks like they just hung a velocity stack on the fairing for the photo.  I just thought that was interesting and something that can't be seen in the small picture.
Jeff

Offline Freud

Open bike over 200
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 02:00:04 PM »
Interested Bystander,..... I posted a reply but put it under a different thread, it's near the bottom of the posts on "Who has the most Records" Scott added a note to it also.

jeffb......I'll ask Warner why there wasn't a carb on it. I saw him at the HoF banquet also and have had an e-mail from him since I have returned.

Thanks for the interest.

According to S & S, that picture is in a sad state and they are interested in replacing it.

Both Cook and Warner were there and it was a great reunion. I also had time with Cook and Phil Schilling. Sure is surprising how all of us have lost the color from our hair.
Since '63

Offline jeffb

picture
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 09:15:57 PM »
I guess I don't know if the picture I saw is the only copy, but it is pretty faded.  I is hanging in the VP of product development's office, Scott Sjovall.  I was just talking to him about it the other day.  

I heard that turnip eater is on display at the motorcycle museum in Iowa.  It may be coming up to S&S for display after that according to Dan Kinsey.

I picked up a 1969 copy of Cycle World and there are some more pictures in there.  I don't have it scanned though.

Jeff

Offline Freud

The Foto
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 01:37:19 AM »
I GUARANTEE you that there were only 3 of this prints ever made.

George Smith bought the one you saw, Cook Neilson received the 2nd one and I have the last one in my computer room. They were all made from the transparency that was used to print the cover of CYCLE, December, 1969 issue.

Gordon Jennings had a wild hair up his ass and changed the polorized blue sky on the film to some regurgerated shade. Any new prints will have blue sky, as did the one at S&S.

I heard from S&S today and they are interested in a replacement, even if Warner's bike didn't have a carb on it when I shot that image about 1PM on the Saturday that concluded Speed Week, 1969.

FREUD
Since '63