Author Topic: Maybe change at least the "C" license speed....  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Maybe change at least the "C" license speed....
« on: September 11, 2006, 01:15:54 PM »
In the "Speedweek, how to streamline the meet?" thread there was much talk about licensing runs and how they were taking up meet time and such.  Right now there are a lot of cars/bikes running the short course and some of those will eventually move to the long course after they get their "D" and "C" license and also qualify for the long course by running at least 175 in the first quarter of the third mile on the short course.

This means that a person with a potential "long course" car/bike has to make at least 3 runs on the short course before moving to the long course.  "D" license at 125 to 149 MPH. "C" license from 150 to 174 MPH.  "B" license from 175 to 199 where they can also qualify to move to the long course.

How about changing the "C" license speed range from "150 to 174 MPH" to "150 to 180 (or 185) MPH?  That way on the "C" licensing pass a person could also qualify to move to the long course and it would eliminate at least one run on the more crowded short course.

Maybe not much help for the congestion on the short course, but some help.

c ya, Sum

dwarner

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:38:31 PM »
During a license upgrade there is slight leeway given to the speed range. What the tower and starters are looking for is the driver/rider handling OK, shutdown procedure and turn out methods.

Any radical control issues or procedure issues will deny the upgrade and require the driver to redo the speed range.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:53:36 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
During a license upgrade there is slight leeway given to the speed range. What the tower and starters are looking for is the driver/rider handling OK, shutdown procedure and turn out methods.

Any radical control issues or procedure issues will deny the upgrade and require the driver to redo the speed range.

DW

Dan are you saying that a person could run somewhat over 174 on the C license run and qualify for the long course at the same time and not be penalized??

Thanks,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
maybe
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:58:07 PM »
Sum, what Dan says is it is easier to monitor the license testing on the short course because we have beter visibility in the mile and shut down area, on the long course we have the pits and lots of traffic on the road by the pits  that make it hard to track a vehicle as well. I wouln't have a problem with a 185 mph qualifer to run the long course as a lot that run around 175 won't go 180 mph on the long course. Something to take to the board.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Re: maybe
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 03:15:24 PM »
Quote from: Glen
Sum, what Dan says is it is easier to monitor the license testing on the short course because we have better visibility in the mile and shut down area, on the long course we have the pits and lots of traffic on the road by the pits  that make it hard to track a vehicle as well. Glen

I hadn't considered the visibility.  Thanks for explaining that.

Quote from: Glen
I wouldn't have a problem with a 185 mph qualifier to run the long course as a lot that run around 175 won't go 180 mph on the long course. Something to take to the board.
Glen

I guess I didn't word my suggestion very well.  I'm not suggesting raising the speed requirement to get to the long course.

I'm suggesting that on the "C" licensing run you be allowed to run as fast as 180 instead of the 174.  That way you could get the "C" license and also the long course qualifying requirement over on the same run and run one less run on the short course.  Now you would be running for the "B" license on the long course instead of the more congested short course.

This might only move a couple runs off the short course during the meet, so maybe it is not worth the change.

c ya,

Sum