Author Topic: 300 MPH Diesel Streamliner  (Read 5468 times)

Clay Taylor

300 MPH Diesel Streamliner
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:32:46 AM »
Hi all -

Well, Andy Green and the JCB Diesel Max gang have an AWESOME setup at the salt - two full-sized semi-trailers, that gargantuan tractor to push start the car, a fifth-wheel trailer to tote the streamliner, and what seems to be dozens of uniformed crewmen and crewwomen.   A really classy setup, and one that should be very successful.

However, this afternoon when the bright yellow Chassis Engineering C/Diesel Streamliner of Roy Lewis went blasting past us at the 4 1/2 mile mark today, we all said "Wow, he's really cooking!"   Then the announcer said that he was over 300 mph in the final mile and we spectators went nuts!   I can only imaging the reaction in the pits and staging lanes.   We gave them a standing ovation as they brought the car into the pits.   Well Done, Guys!

No offense intended to Andy and the JCB Crew, and I hope they set a stout FIA record after Speed Week, but it was sure nice to see a car from Iowa bag a "first"!     I'm putting a shot of the 300 run in the User's Photo Post.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT

Offline AJR192

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:45:34 AM »
I would rather see the "grassroots" guys go out and kick butt any day.  Hard work and backyard engineering are the backbone of our amatuer motorsports venue. It is not the same accomplishment to buy a record.

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 01:52:04 AM »
I'm with Clay.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:06:22 AM »
Go Cummins Power!!!!

I saw this pass, realized the drama being played out, and was glad to be here to see it (my first trip to the salt.  I have salt fever BAD now)

Although I would like to add, each and every crewmember of the JCB team were polite and obviously were working their butts off to make that thing run correctly.

Then again, it was AWESOME seeing a grassroots effort hit 300mph in a diesel first.   Way to go guys,

-scott (supporting a Ferrari, a 53 Stude, and a 50 Buick)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 04:36:22 PM »
Great runs.

Turbos and technology.

Great stuff.

But let's not fail to recognize the Vintage run of over 300 miles an hour with an old GMC garbage truck motor.

Wow!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

gunracer1

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:29:16 AM »
that is great, congrats to all.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 12:33:25 PM »
It is not the same accomplishment to buy a record.

You can't say this.

The JCB team worked very hard to get this record.

The team with the cummins engine need some years, too, to get the engine right to get a proper return run which gave him the record.

We amateurs have the advantage that they can work with a "bucket" of expierence - means hundreds of other racer where they can get informations. During the meet I talked to Ron Ayers about some  
"specials" of the salt - he was very surprised when he heard this information. They had no idea, how different is it at the salt to good old England - something like air pressure, density, humidy.....

What we saw at the salt was a over engineered vehicle, extremely complex, which it makes the JCB team not easier to get the record.

But it was a typical British record racer, always big, solid build, with the latest gadget of technology - this is may be the different to us amateurs.

But therefore we can't bother the JCB team, they try it and at last they set a record - honestly, I hope this was not the last answer of the Brits,
I thought they can go faster, may be during the next day the show a better potential of the car.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

landracing

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 01:55:16 PM »
I believe without question the car can go faster, JCB. They are limited to the speed of the tires not the potential of car or the engines.

Parachute problems plaqued them but I believe Tom Burkland got them on the right track with the correct people to talk too.

The car is still limited to the tires... Too bad too cause I think the car could really go for a faster speed. The engines used were not even the race engines they are putting in for the FIA attempt this week.

I think 340's maybe 350's is the limit for the tires.

And I second the statement about the JCB Team being some of the best people on the salt. They are just like everybody else on the salt. Willing to talk, show you around the pits etc etc. Andy was very polite and even showed up to the Salt Talks Gathering for a bit.

Jon

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 06:37:05 PM »
Jon,

foresure, Andy is one of the nicest guy you can meet - he is on a level of Al Teague or Carl Heap.

And the team worked so hard as all the other on the salt.
Yup, it was great to see them at the Salt Talk - this shows was people they are - one of us :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 07:13:35 PM »
With the resources of JCB, perhaps they could lead to the development of new tires for everyone.  Could happen.  Let's hope.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline hotrod_tommy

• New folks
great guys on the salt
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 09:39:59 PM »
Sure like to hear people can be enthusiastic about drivers and people on the land speed racing teams.  

I have to ask Pork Pie, however, if he was referring to general friendliness and personality or status and "earned" homage when comparing Cdr Green to Al Teague and Carl Heap.  

Hope he wasn't placing the new hired gun on the same plane as the long-term sheriffs (so to speak) with years of runs and personal work and investment in their rides in their struggle up the record book.

We can all sure appreciate a good driver at speed, but it seems like a different league of men that own 'em, build 'em, AND drive 'em for years.

If I won the Lotto, I'd try to buy a ride and seat-time to try to get some record, fer sure.  Cool dreams.  But if ya ever mentioned my and Al's name in the same sentence, I hope ya have me carrying his helmet for him or something, 'coz I'd always know the difference.

And yeah, let's dig the little C-class yellow thingie that did the 3 first, and YES dig the "obsolete" old engine jammed out the big numbers!    

As Andy knows, not many people will ever remember who breaks the sound barrier the second time.

Just an observation from the fan base out here.
Tommy's2slow for racin

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 01:37:02 PM »
Al Teague, Carl Heap, Don Vesco, Andy Green - they all a great poeple, everybody in his own way.

Andy didn't change after he set the sound barrier record - he stays the same nice guy as he was before.

That JCB done the choice of running with Andy was for them program - the name is known but also he shows before the skill that he can handle high speed.

For Andy himself it was important that he set a record at the salt - he tried in 98 to joint official the 2 club, but the MG went into trouble - so he took the chance to do it with JCB - why not
Pork Pie