Author Topic: New to this....please be patient.  (Read 3031 times)

rpoz-29

New to this....please be patient.
« on: August 11, 2006, 08:49:02 PM »
Man, I'm glad I found this site! I'm 50 years old, a pipefitter for a Dupont site in Richmond VA. Married, and just about have both son's out of college. I've been around motorsports since the early 70's, but only recently been bitten by the LSR bug. Most of my experience has been around autocross, road racing, and drag racing. Consequently, I have no idea of where to start with this project. I have a 1978 Olds Starfire that was raced in SCCA Improved Touring. It has a cage that, according to the SCTA rulebook, should be legal. If I'm reading the book properly, the car should go into GC, and I'll probably power it with a Buick 231 V6, or a SBC. I hope to make it out west to a race or 2 before I decide on an engine, although I'm leaning heavily towards the SBC. My questions, (don't laugh, I already said I have no idea what I'm doing.), concern transmissions and final drive ratios. Will a 3 speed work? I only bring it up because it seems that it would have a little less rotating mass, while still having a 1 to 1 in top gear like a 4 speed. Or should I look into a 5 or 6 speed? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I'm charting new territory with this, and none of my friends know much more than I do.

Offline aircap

New to this
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:11:53 PM »
Hey, rpoz-29 - welcome to the forum!
I don't have the answers for you, but most of the ones who do are on the salt right now as Speedweek starts tomorrow. Give it a little time for everyone to return and you'll be buried in good advice.
This bunch is the best, and will help you all they can.
Looking forward to more of your posts - Chris Pile aka aircap
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline RidgeRunner

new to this
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 11:34:36 PM »
Welcome to the world of LSR.  Aircap has the instant situation dialed in.  You might also think about attending an ECTA meet at Maxton N.C. the end of Sept or Oct this year.  Not too far for you, a lot to see up close,  a lot of sharp brains to pick [many run both Maxton and B'Ville, some have also run Texas and El Mirage], rules very similar, and all for a nominal admission fee.  Think you will find a lot of people have run fast with a lot of different theory's and combinations, my advice is get what you have together safely and just get out and run for the fun.  Things get very addicting in a hurry, the serious tech stuff will come much too $oon.  Take care,  RidgeRunner.

terry russell

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 08:03:56 AM »
welcome ,you  do need to come to maxton . bring your car. The rules wiith the ecta differ from the scta. But  a few who run both are alwas there.
Terry

rpoz-29

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I plann on it making to Maxton on the 24th. I'll be at a wedding in Charleston SC on saturday, and have convinced my wife that there is a craft show in Maxton, which isn't too far out of our way home. I'm joking about the craft show thing, she's always been supportive of my refusal to grow up. Since I won't have the car with me, I'll bring along it's SCCA log book which has a good deal of information. I'm still carrying my rule book from bathroom to bathroom, to work, kitchen table etc. After some pics are taken, I'll start posting in the "build diaries" topic. Again, thank you all.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 01:47:18 AM »
Welcome: You will find all styles of transmissions. 4 speeds being the most prominent. You did not say which size engine class you are looking at but B,C,D,&E are most prevalent. C and D the most because of availability of engine parts.

Since both of those are over 200 mph you will need to qualify on the short corse ar over 175 in the first 1/4 mile in order to use the long course which has 5 miles, 3 of which are timed. You will learn of this by joining BNI and getting more involved with the rule book. With that said any less than a 4 speed may be hard to do on the accelration for that 175.

There is a traction problem as you can probably guess. If you've been involed in racing you are aware of many styles of 4-speeds which can be used by many of the NASCAR/SCCA etc sanctioning bodies. Like I said all kinds are used in LSR. automatics with no torque converters, Tex Racing, Jericos, Brinns, Lencos, B & J's etc.

Good luck...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

rpoz-29

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 04:30:27 PM »
How long is the approach to the first measured 1/4 mile? I'll probably go with a "C" engine. Are there any calculations to determine approximately how much HP is needed to push a 2400 lb car over 200mph? Thanks for responding.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 11:18:45 PM »
2 miles....To me this venue is good for answering specific questions whis pertain to the rule book by number/page..All others questions will get 50 different answers from 50 different guys.

Good luck with your project, a membership in BNI or one of the other organizations helps with your gain in knowledge. BNI sends layouts with entries....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro