Author Topic: Newbie with Belly Tank build question  (Read 1970 times)

Offline chambies

• New folks
Newbie with Belly Tank build question
« on: June 30, 2013, 01:47:07 AM »
Starting my new build Belly Tank Lakester. I think I have decided I want to run a "suicide" front end or spring behind the axle. I feel that this would  keep the suspension attachment point low, it extends my wheel base and make it more aerodynamic. I have an early Ford I-beam axle with split wishbones. What I want to do is drill a hole in the wishbones, sleeve it, then weld in a spring perch. I will not be competitive in the class I want to run (V4F) my goal is to build, get through a tech inspection and run on the salt. I guess my question in what burden of proof does the tech inspector need to know that what you have built will hold up... or is safe? I know that it would be ideal to purchase a new tube axle, use bat wings and hairpins where I can bolt on a new spring in a spring behind set up but that would cost $1000 at least. Would love to have a tech inspector look at my work before I do any permanent welding or cutting holes in my nice belly tank.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Newbie with Belly Tank build question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:18:57 AM »
Why run a suspension?

Check out the Australian Belly Tank build diary. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:19:32 AM »
The Ford wishbones are pretty thin wall, stressed for handling axle alignment and braking torque loads. It might be asking a lot to expect them to carry vehicle weight somewhere along their length, especially if you're adding weight for traction.

That being said, there's an example in 10/12 Hot Rod Magazine of spring mounts added just like you described. Close to the axle and described as gusseted, not illustrated very well. Also a roadster in 02/12 HRM with the spring hung that way at least a foot or so behind the axle. Running a straight 8 Packard, which is no slouch in the weight department, so there's evidently some strength there. But I agree, I'd bounce the idea off of tech before I committed the effort.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »
You are fine with a bung in the wishbones. If you dig through my old posts on the HAMB you will see how I did this on my Touring. Lots have done it this way over the years. I did not weld my perch to the bone but made a bung and bolted a perch THROUGH is so that it could swivel and not cause bind.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »
If you use the original Ford front radius rods then there is no problem with what you want to do as the front radius rods are very strong an will work for the type of front end you are thinking about, just don't use the Ford rear radius rods they are very thin an not to strong.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:37 AM »
Right, Rex. I was remembering from way too long ago the VW tow bar I made from Ford radius rods. But I recall now that was rear rods.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.