Author Topic: Where to buy a fairing for an MPS bike?  (Read 5303 times)

Flaircraft

Where to buy a fairing for an MPS bike?
« on: June 08, 2006, 03:38:23 PM »
Hi all,

Are there any good sources for purchasing MPS fairings/fairing kits?  Or are they all generally custom made?  I figure doing an MPS bike will be a good way to "ease in" to my first Bonneville event...

landracing

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 04:07:32 PM »
Well you can buy fairings from Air Tech Streamlining from Kent Riches. He has many different style fairings. NONE of which are a kit, most are just the fairings and you have to find or make a mounting system for them..

If this is your first time on the salt, I think the best recommendation would be go with stock plastic for the first year. And have a good look around at the other bikes, what they are running, how they are mounted. etc etc.

Jon

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:45:02 PM »
one of my sponsors is http://catalystracingcomposites.com/

they make some landspeed racing specific stuff. here is the turbo upper and their first version of their belly pan. I had to cut it quite a bit to get my 58/12 kit inside of the pan, (sump pump, exhaust, turbo compressor, K&N filter) but the upper was a simple drill and bolt. they have a newer version I just havent fit to my bike yet. deeper, broader and the tail is much larger and flaired. same ease of fitment with the fender, both seat styles I use and the tail section.

they offer 5 styles of tanks for Busas in either glass or CF. all come with as many as 4 3/8" NPT bungs or an intank pump style (OEM).
OEM style
Lowered style. 2" narrower, 2" shorter.
So-Low style. flat top. (pictured above) much narrower. fits most plenums without shimming. 2.4 gallon capacity.
NLR Pro Street style. meant for drag racing but know of two landspeed projects using this style. for use with cutdown seat rails only. sits the rider forward an extra 2".
Shootout style. lowered for use with cut seat rails.

here is their bodywork with the old smaller of the two bellypans on it.

Flaircraft

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 05:39:14 PM »
Great, thanks for the links guys!  Custom work isn't a problem as I had been planning on having to make my own mounting brackets and doing a fair amount of customizing to get a fairing to fit my bike; it's just nice to know I can get SOMETHING to start with so that I don't have to go to the trouble of actually making the fairing too.  I've been reading the rulebook and taking notes on the requirements for an MPS (just got my '06 rulebook a couple weeks ago) so by the time it comes to actually assembling the bike I should have a pretty good idea of how to make it legal.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 06:11:31 PM »
hello there
what chassis do ya have and what are ya thinking for bodywork
Kent

landracing

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 06:37:12 PM »
Quote from: Flaircraft
I've been reading the rulebook and taking notes on the requirements for an MPS (just got my '06 rulebook a couple weeks ago) so by the time it comes to actually assembling the bike I should have a pretty good idea of how to make it legal.

Flair,

Ive been going for over 10 years and im reading the rule boook too and I still havent figured it to make it legal this year either...

YOu asked for a MPS fairing, not really such a thing, you can get just about any fairing to work in the MPS class...

Jon

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 09:28:48 PM »
Looking at the rulebook it states "The OEM fairing, bodywork, and tail section for the specific production models are allowed."  "Replacement, non-OEM fairings, bodywork, and tail sections must be an exact replica of the OEM parts."  The rulebook then goes on to talk about using non-OEM fairing or replicas etc.  So it looks like its wide open as to what you can use.  That is until you set a record.  Good luck!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

landracing

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 09:40:03 PM »
You have to be carefull when reading that.

If you use OEM or replica oem fairing (has to be exact) then you are allowed to have at factory seat height and extend past rear tire... However if you use a non oem fairing then you have to abide by the 36" height rule, and nothing past rear edge of rear tire.

jon

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 10:19:56 PM »
Jon, looks like your readin the rules like i am, lots of whats if's and if ya do's. definately not black and white.

flair, those ground effect thingies on your www look pretty crazy! i may be convinced into tradin some bodywork for one. I could use one in my collection.
pm me if I got somethin ya need
kent riches

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 10:52:38 PM »
My last post was made in haste.  When I spoke to Tom Evans at the Nov. El Mirage meet he told that the way the rule was going to be written was that if a bike did'nt come from the factory with a fairing, you would not be allowed to fit one.   Reading the rules as I wrote the last post I saw that you can fit whatever you want.  Within the rules.  There must have been a change of heart.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SAME BS DIFFERENT DAY
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 12:20:02 AM »
The rulers not only don't understand the rules they have written without input
 from the sane but now are striving to change it to make even less sense.
That is insane.
Someone mentioned the rules changes are explained to the board before they act on them.
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT ? :roll:

"Failed as designed or designed to fail."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Flaircraft

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 04:14:37 PM »
Heh, it sounds like when Dr. Venture said "I DARE you to make less sense!" he was talking about the SCTA rulebook :)  I'm hoping to use an SV650 since they have lots of aftermarket support and also being a v-twin they are fairly narrow.  My second choice would be a VFR750, plenty of ponies and still narrower than an inline engine.  The kind of fairings I'm thinking of are the ones that basically totally enclose the bike except for a cutout so you can see the rider.

Kent, I'll keep your offer in mind - we have several sizes of models and could easily hook you up with something cool.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SPEED SECRETS
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 06:08:50 PM »
The narrow bike is a speed secret that is lost on many people.
One of the fastest 4 cyl bike combinations around has a fairing package from an unlikely source, unless you think about it.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"