Author Topic: New Secretary of Interior  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Bob Drury

New Secretary of Interior
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
  I just read on AOL News that President Obama has nominated Sally Jewel to be the new Secretary of Interior.
  This could be a VERY GOOD THING FOR THE SALT FLATS.
  She is the President and CEO of Recreational Equipment (REI) and has earned national recognition for her management skills and SUPPORT FOR RECREATION AND HABITAT CONSERVATION.
  In other words (mine) She will hopefully back both the preservation and USE of the Salt Flats.
  NOW might be a good time to contribute to Save The Salt and help give our Attorney more thrust for the restoration of the flats.                   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline jimmy six

Re: New Secretary of Interior
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
HABITAT CONSERVATION....now the flies will become an endanger species on the salt......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
i think she's a great choice if you want to see who can hike the fastest across salt flats
but rei's track record for supporting any kind of motorized recreational use of public land
has been nonexistent in my experience...

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »
  Boy oh boy, I don't think I could walk to the Five under power........  (I know Stainless, I usually can't drive to the Five under power......)
                                                                   :-P :roll:     Bob
Bob Drury

Offline will6er

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »
She was also a Petroleum Engineer.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:16 AM »
So that means she will be shutting down the Dakotas and all the coasts and be making "moonshine" the fuel of choice. After all she is Hussains choice.............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
From personal experience once you go from an oil career to an environmental career you don't normally look back at your time in the patch as favorable.  Although i'd assume she does understand there are better places and ways to drill than what we are currently doing so hopefully she won't disappoint.   

I have not read up on the condition of the salt flats for a few years.  It was my impression it was getting better/healthier.  Is it just a fact that its a very slow process?  Sorry for my ignorance.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
Yes it is better but it still is being mined--There are still millions of tons of salt on the South side of I-80 we would like to be RETURNED to the North.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Cameradude

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
IMO any appointee of BO is a threat to motorized recreation. REI supports the more radical enviros and if you can't walk through it you don't need to go through
it. They support groups that want limited access and usage of federal land.

In Montana, REI supports the groups doing their best to restrict ATV's, UTV's ,Bikes, any motorized vehicles access and usage to BLM land, national forests. In some reas they even oppose use if mules or horses.

I am not confident in any positives coming from this appointment

All LSR fans must support active groups like "Save the Salt" with financial and volunteer efforts to further our cause.
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »
  Cam, that is the point I brought up in my opening post........... we all need to step up to the plate and support Save the Salt NOW, so our Attorney can be up and running before She or whomever is confirmed.                                       Bob
Bob Drury

Offline m610

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 12:20:06 AM »
There is a wide range of "types" in the REI world, and I am one of them. I've hiked and camped and rock climbed all over Cali and I've done it with some great people who understand that the wild lands need to be maintained and available for all to enjoy, so long as enjoying doesn't mean destroying. Obviously this range includes neurotic kooks who project their fears and insecurities on helpless baby whatevers, just as there are people in the  motorsports world(s) ranging from daredevils to gentlemen racers and genius builders to disgusting belligerent hoons. We can find adversaries on any issue in any group but in my experience most people are reasonable and willing to give and take and work things out, especially once they realize they share similar goals. Well, maybe except on the issue of gun control. ;)

I think Bonneville and dry lakes are in a good position to get support from the SoI. Land speed racing has a long and glorious history at Bonneville and the dry lakes. These places are practically international icons of speed. Add to that the respect shown to these places by the LSR community and I'd think the SoI would see the racers and event organizers as the best examples, the ideal examples, of people using and respecting and protecting wild federal lands. I mean, we take care of the place and we clean up after ourselves. That's a strong ethic in the REI-ish community. We'd get tons of respect from them for that alone. Plus, these are not exactly habitats.

I don't think hippies will be a problem here. (Have they ever been?) The hippies have Burning Man so with respect to the SoI they are in the same situation as the racers. Miners, on the other hand...

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 11:55:59 PM »
Believe me if Obama appointed her for consideration, she is trouble for us racers!!!  :-(
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline BIGHORN

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 12:55:36 PM »
This is administration that wants to get rid of internal combustion vehicles. I cant see anything good coming out of this appointment, unless you are looking forward to the electric car nationals.
BTW the administration thinks electricity is free and non polluting
John Kelly