Author Topic: know what is in your race trailer ??bet you don't!!!  (Read 3231 times)

Offline 12go3az

• New folks
know what is in your race trailer ??bet you don't!!!
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
nov. 7th. thieves  broke into our shop yard  & cleaned out our 24

Offline aircap

Re: know what is in your race trailer ??bet
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Those BASTARDS!
Sorry to hear it.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline 12go3az

• New folks
know what is in your race trailer ??bet you don't!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »
novenber 7 thieves broke in our shop yard & cleaned out the enclosed race car trailer. (bolted down snap-on tool box, empty)
 no hand tools, grinders, sanders, gear pullers, air tools, helment & hans, generator, etc. etc.  special tools . ALLGONE!!!
   TO MAKE A LONG RANT SHORT.
   my ins. agent ( that we have had for years, cool gay) is out of the picture.   ( didn't know i  had a claim)
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW.
   Cops & detectives. don't waste your time.
   CLAIMS ADJUSTER WORKS FOR INS. CO. (NOT YOU)
   how much $ are u covered for?
   you will do all the work
   you are just a # ( mine is 1959001h) 
   they are busy with other claims. 
   where is your trailer parked?
    (ours was in kirk's automotive yard & trailer lettered same.) ( covered under shop policy)  what if I had at house, cabin,   
   dyno shop, paint shop ???   i didn't ask.
SHOP OWNERS.
   are your employees tools covered?   Most policies DON'T . we have coverage for employees but after this will up value
ADVICE;
    pictures of shop, all tools
    pictures, drawer by drawer (we all know witch drawer to pull open for pliers, but when it is empty , u won't know what is   
    misssing till u need it)
    e-mail to self, home,shop & c-d copy.

hope  this helps someone down the road   
                                   2 months behind on c-coupe rebuild f'n with cops & ins.      Jim Kirk.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: know what is in your race trailer ??bet you don't!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »
That hurts - not uncommon to have as much money tied up in tools as in a race car.  Sorry to hear it, Jim.

I work for an AV company - one of our service guys had his van cleaned out.

I leave my department's van empty and unlocked - I'm tired of replacing windows.

Good luck with the insurance - it's never an easy one with them, but your advice is sound.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:52:54 AM »
Just a little info on your Hans, if you still have the paperwork on it you could let stand21 know what the serial number is and they can mark it in the database as stolen. Just in case the thieves or the people who bought it from the thieves would have to give it back if it ended up at a Hans dealer for a repair or upgrade. Also I just thought about searching the web for used ones with the serial listed. But it defenitly sucks to get ripped off. Peter.
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:17:58 AM »
     On our way to Speedweek in '08 thieves smashed a side window in the tow rig and did a grab and go.  One of the grabs included a credit card of a fellow crew member.  Luckily it was through the same major bank as one of mine and we used the 800 number off mine to report the theft and stop the stolen one's use.  Having that number handy saved a lot of hassle, learned that when on the road it would be wise to keep a list of all important [including medical and insurance] numbers in a separate  location in case they are ever needed in a similar situation.  Wouldn't hurt to keep a master list handy at home for someone there to use as a 2nd back up.

Good advice on checking insurance coverages and doing a complete inventory with records before they might be needed.  Would have really helped us had we done that.

Assistance from the Omaha PD ended when they picked up the phone and listened to the report of the theft. 

We taped a garbage bag over the opening and towed on down the road to Lincoln where Speedway's counter crew lined us up with a good local glass shop that replaced the window.  A big public thanks to the crews at Speedway and the glass shop.

Ed

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »

Assistance from the Omaha PD ended when they picked up the phone and listened to the report of the theft. 

It's not just Omaha, or even just local PD.  Seems property crime is not pursued, even when the perp is known.

I used to be a strong advocate of police.  But in the last 15 years, that dissolved.

1)  Guy does identity theft by ordering $25,000 of computers from Dell.  Dell gets suspicious, so they call.  They tell me to call the cops.  Dell gave me the guy's phone number and Ship To address.  Cops were not interested.

2)  Mailboxes were broken into on a routine basis.  A year later, a guy shows up in the Emergency Room after cutting himself up with a crowbar, blood on the broken mailbox.  He has our mail, and other people's mail, in his pockets.  Neither Cops or Postal Service pursues it.

3)  Employee steals a check, and is arrested at a store when she tries to cash it.  Case dismissed, no charges.

4)  We had a truck stolen.  We found out who did it, and have them on the neighbors surv video.  Nothing.

5)  Both Syria and Iran tried to order restricted machinery from us.  Forwarded it to the FBI.  AFAIK, no investigation, as there was no reply to my letters.  Later, Mitutoyo was fined and had to stop US sales when Iran bought this kind of equipment a few years later.

It's not like TV.  In these cases, there were names and addresses, yet nothing was done from what we can tell.

If you think your insurance is too high, this is why.  Crooks seldom commit one crime before they are caught, and they tend to move onto bigger things, but often start at property theft.
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline DSR88

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:29:37 AM »
Try to remember what all was in the trailer from Arkansas, Hours of going over all this on the phone. This has been a set back on the coupe but I think we are getting ready to get back on the A game. I am about ready for a break from the Roadster build need to go work on the coupe. It is amazing the didnt just get tool + they got two months of our lives.
Donnie